Cracked Lifter Bore 226 H

sammywayne23

Hey Guys,

I am currently rebuilding my flathead 226 and was setting lash lastnight and noticed this gaping crack on one of the bores. Well I quickly called the machine shop that completed the work and he said it was okay to run like this and I shouldnt worry about it. Well yeah I can run it like this but I want this engine to last awhile. Do you think this is fixable or should I find a new block. Yes I had the block checked…which I question now…

Thanks

Sam

Attachments

• 49BA94A5-8728-41B1-80C3-BA5510D189F7.jpeg
    49BA94A5-8728-41B1-80C3-BA5510D189F7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Hi Sam, that's a real shame that that wasn't seen at the beginning. This isn't a very high stress area in the Engine Block the Camshaft only turns at 1/2 of engine RPM, so yes the machine shop is right that you could likely just run it like that. Yes it could also be fixed if you are able to find someone that dose Furnace Brazing (Best Way) or Cast Iron Welding (a Good Repair when done right) in or near your local area, of course you would need to completely disassemble and clean the engine again to do that. Here are a few links to some companies that I found awhile back that still do the Furnace Brazing if you want to send it out, there maybe some more to. Best of luck.

Gibson, NC
Orlando Florida
Chattanooga Ten.
Akron Ohio
Dover N.C.
Salt Lake, Utah

Last edited:
Hi Sam, that's a real shame that that wasn't seen at the beginning. This isn't a very high stress area in the Engine Block the Camshaft only turns at 1/2 of engine RPM, so yes the machine shop is right that you could likely just run it like that. Yes it could also be fixed if you are able to find someone that dose Furnace Brazing (Best Way) or Cast Iron Welding (a Good Repair when done right) in or near your local area, of course you would need to completely disassemble and clean the engine again to do that. Here are a few links to some companies that I found awhile back that still do the Furnace Brazing if you want to send it out, there maybe some more to. Best of luck.

Gibson, NC
Orlando Florida
Chattanooga Ten.
Akron Ohio
Dover N.C.
Salt Lake, Utah
Thanks Bubba for the response, I plan to drive this truck a lot (47’ ford one ton pickup) and I just want to make sure it doesn't worsen and have the crack spread. This is a stock motor minus a .030 overbore so I wont be hammering on this thing and also for an engine overhaul Ive gotten by fairly reasonable with this. I’ll have to weigh my options here. Thanks again

Back