Crossflow head block choice

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site. I picked up a 66 bronco with a 170. I have decided I want to build a motor with a crossflow head. I'm currently searching for a block to be the recipient of this new head. Is there any benefit to using a 200 vs a 250? If i were to use a 200, I'd use an 82 fairmount 200 so I get the partial sbf bolt pattern. Do either of these blocks play nicer with a crossflow head?

Thanks
Wes

I recall at least one discussion about this but not sure if it ever became reality.
You mention the sbf bolt pattern so you are probably contemplating a od trans upgrade, a good idea.
I started with a 170 in my 66 Bronco then to a 200 then to a 250. I remember thinking the 200 could have handled an od gear on level ground and stock size tires. So a NV3550 would have been ok.
Do you live in mountain terrain with elevation changes during your normal driving patterns? The 250 helps with this as it has good low end torque and Broncos are heavy.
Is your Bronco intended mostly for street? What other changes are you contemplating, big tires etc?
The 250 is good but if you go this way look into modifying the oil pan and pick up tube before installing. I did not and will be having to in the future.

If you are planning to use a distributor with the crossflow head swap the 200 with the shorter deck height has fitment issues. The 250 with a higher deck height not so much, but don't expect to use an HEI distributor.

As for fitment of a 250 under the Bronco hood, bmbm40 should be able to answer that.

Hope this helps.

I recall at least one discussion about this but not sure if it ever became reality.
You mention the sbf bolt pattern so you are probably contemplating a od trans upgrade, a good idea.
I started with a 170 in my 66 Bronco then to a 200 then to a 250. I remember thinking the 200 could have handled an od gear on level ground and stock size tires. So a NV3550 would have been ok.
Do you live in mountain terrain with elevation changes during your normal driving patterns? The 250 helps with this as it has good low end torque and Broncos are heavy.
Is your Bronco intended mostly for street? What other changes are you contemplating, big tires etc?
The 250 is good but if you go this way look into modifying the oil pan and pick up tube before installing. I did not and will be having to in the future.
Yea, I think I may end up using the new holley sniper 2 and their 4r70w transmission controller. I live in Charleston, SC, it is very flat here. Bronco will have a 1.5 inch lift, 1 inch body lift. I probably will never run a tire any bigger than a 31. I've heard people chopping the 200 oil pan in half and joining it onto the 250 oil pan. I just didn't know if the internals of one motor are more fit for that head.

From an Aussie, get the whole 250 crossflow alloy head engine, this is a far better proposition than trying to fit the head to the pre crossflow block. We do have 200ci crossies, I have one or two, but if your going to stick it in a bronco, torque is king and the 250 will be far better. Crossflows did come as EFI setups with Bosch injection, Id get one if you are intending to go that way. The crossflow head will allow the 250 to rev better than any of the log heads and possibly even a 2v headed 250. Yes there is a bellhousing issue to be dealt with. Why use a slushie, use the manual trans. You could go for the 4litre SOHC six, which is better again, they come EFI stock, these have as much power as a carby 302, again bellhousing issues. If you do decide to go crossie then get the EFI setup, the stock exhaust manifold is OK on the stocker engines.

Yes have heard of that oil pan mod, should work fine if you have a good welder or fabrication guy available.

Back