All Small Six Deeper Oil Pan Options Poll - Moroso

This relates to all small sixes

POLL: Which type of pan solution would you be interested in:

• Total voters

1966Mustang

ALL THE THINGS
Staff member
Subscriber
One of the goals of the https://fordsix.com/threads/the-ideal-200-built-by-committee.81835/ thread is to identify parts that are 'needed', but not generally available and try to get them made for us. So, in looking to find a replacement for the High Energy oil pans that Classic Inlines used to import from AU, I spoke with Moroso about possible pan options. Their advice on HV oil pumps was to contact Melling (which I will).

There question to me was what the market demand was and if we could get some idea of the demand.

oilpan3.jpg
High Energy Wet Sump Pan
So, here's a poll - let me know what you'd like to see. You can select all options if you want. A wet sump fabricated or modified stock style would come with an appropriate pickup tube. Dry sump would need more fleshing out as far as other parts required - tanks, pumps, etc.

For a modified stock pan - a good supplier of uncoated cores would be needed. Fabricated means Moroso would make the whole pan and have more control over the quality.

Last edited:
Yes sir. All those mods might give you 3-5 HP gain.
Plus control the oil in the sump.
A stock pan is like a bath tub.

yeah, I'd say the pan is less important (I made a 170/250 but for a spec swap-in) and #1. an easy to place windage tray & scrapers might B nice? Specality might come #2 like my bronk or for the fox bodied rigs (double sump w/steer link.)? but these are so low number - its Y we custom...

yeah, I'd say the pan is less important (I made a 170/250 but for a spec swap-in) and #1. an easy to place windage tray & scrapers might B nice? Specality might come #2 like my bronk or for the fox bodied rigs (double sump w/steer link.)? but these are so low number - its Y we custom...
Chad, every several HP gains add up.

I am looking into a windage tray 'kit' - easier, cheaper and I could do that pretty immediately.

"...Chad, every several HP gains add up."
agreed, the race is won by innumerable increments in each and every sub-system w/the auto. Tons of tiny ticks totaled on the tally~

Any benefit over the 'diamond mesh' style vs louvered? Also, do they need to be louvered or would slotted/holes work?

I contacted crank-scrapers.com and some background from @DannyG - apparently, they have a block and pan to do one for the 200's. Would like to see that produced, and this info helps.

"...they have a block and pan to do one..."
yeah but needs to B quite inexpensive to by-pass DIY
I do not have the 200 but would more like to see their windage tray
(than these).

I am willing to get something produced if we get an answer. I am in the process of getting a good supply of unpainted reproduction pans. Not cheap. I’ve talked to another well-known pan supplier and they were willing to work with me if I had unpainted pans so they could put on their famous gold anodized finish.
Maybe I wasn’t the only one that saw an episode of Engine Masters called “Pantastic”

These are good for all out race and the built by committee build.

A good question to ask is what would a person pay for a pan? You will get some hp gain as shown in the episode.

@chad makes a good point.

may B I've 4gotten the set up (good ta restate every once'na while). We wanna 'top shelf' but still ''affordable"? There are so v e r y many individual choices. Where do we make them (ie how often, what trade offs, what budget, etc)? May B I'm wrong?
EDIT:
o0OP, thought a I was over at the "performance build by committee" thread. That's a "no holds barred" 10/12K$, 400 hp model.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a deeper pan with windage and flaps to keep the sloshing down.. I also like the "gold look".. my pan is beat up and with little ripples on the bottom. Often thought about replacing it, of course only when I'm under the car, Haha. Anyway... if the price is cheap I would consider it. But some of these pans, even stock, are a little out of price, just for a better look or 2hp. Let's face it, most of us are just about being different and not having the typical V8. So it would be price for me, not necessarily the performance or a better look. I'll have to watch the engine master episode to see if there is huge difference.. remember we are talking about 150 to 200 horse power for most of us,.. Not 5 or 600 like freiberger likes to put on your shows. Well that's my 2 cents. Thanks

I'd definitely be interested in the new pan. I hate hitting the brakes hard sometimes and seeing the oil light flash for a second. The gold finish might be a bit gaudy but things can be painted over. I would also like to see a 1 piece oil pan gasket like the V8s get. I always seem to have a leak at the connection between the neoprene and the cork on the main caps, at least only at the back. I'd pay more for a gasket that actually works lol.

I like the idea of a deeper pan with windage and flaps to keep the sloshing down.. I also like the "gold look".. my pan is beat up and with little ripples on the bottom. Often thought about replacing it, of course only when I'm under the car, Haha. Anyway... if the price is cheap I would consider it. But some of these pans, even stock, are a little out of price, just for a better look or 2hp. Let's face it, most of us are just about being different and not having the typical V8. So it would be price for me, not necessarily the performance or a better look. I'll have to watch the engine master episode to see if there is huge difference.. remember we are talking about 150 to 200 horse power for most of us,.. Not 5 or 600 like freiberger likes to put on your shows. Well that's my 2 cents. Thanks
There are lots of reasons for using a better oil pan besides the few extra horses, thats just the icing on the cake. First is controlling where your oil is so that its always around the oil pick up tube were it needs to be, an engine won’t run very long being starved of oil it only takes about 30 seconds of no oil pressure to do some bearing damage. Most of the Stock Falcon Six engine oil pans don’t have any baffles in them to keep the oil in the sump so it goes we’re ever the forces decide to take it during Acceleration, Braking,’ 'Right & Left Turns as well as going Up Or Down Steep Grades it all takes it away from the oil pans sump So iif you want to drive your Ford six fast you will need a good oil pan period! Good luck

Back