Dirty fuel line

A

Anonymous

Hey all, i just recently got a maverick my cousin and i have been working on running. Before starting it up we drained all the gas (into the street :unsure: ) and it looked like water, but there was no other debris coming out. Well we filled it up with 93 and drove it about 200 miles.
One day coming out of O'Reilys it died in the middle of a BUSY intersection :shock: Those Dodge trucks look even bigger 2 inches away from your door! When i get home i open the hood to see the fuel filter completly brown filled with what looked like mud. 2 full tanks and 6 fuel filters later i want to know what to do to get this crap of the fuel line/tank

ok the low buck way is this.....

remove the tank and drain it.

wash it out with soapy water and flush all the floaties out

get some acid from the hardwre store and put it in and swish it around

rinse with water and then acetone.

now either go way cheap and fill with oil and coat the inside and reinstall or get some tank liner stuff (jcwhittney sells for pretty cheap) and put that in.

had this problem with my fairlane two years ago and it has been fine since.

nick

Had same prob with a 74 Mav I drove from VA to Nebraska. Car died on I 95 just out of DC. :shock:
Quickly plumbed in the biggest filter I could splice in. Every fillup I blew back through the filter and blew out the gunk. After a few tanksfull, it was blowing clean. :D

to "solve" the problem you could just rinse the tank with water to get the loose stuff out then rinse with alcohol and fill it up and would only take a couple hours to do and cost a few bucks.

nick

OK, the other thing would be that if you have rust in the tank, you may just want to replace it. I mean, you can get a new repro for $150. Take it out, blow the fuel lines out with pressurized air, put a new filter/screen on the sending unit and you'll never have to worry.

I can see the advantages of the suggestions above, but the tanks really aren't that expensive (or tough) to replace and then you'll never have to worry about it again. When you think about the amount of time you'll spend taking the tank out to clean it anyway...

I don't like taking shortcuts when it deals with gasoline. :shock:

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to be replacing my leaf springs and giving the rear end a clean this summer. I just might buy a new tank then if i can afford it.
Until then when i go to see my grandfather i will take advantage of his compressor; aswell as clean the tank. I'm starting to think it is rust in the tank because it sat in a drive way for 2 years and the cap sometimes lets water in the top. I am also going to get a HUGE fuel filter. Then put another 3/8 one in after that to catch any other littler particles.
This will have to be my quick fix cause i have exactly 200 :shock: dollars in my bank acount!

Throw in a few pints of pure ethanol, then fill with fuel. This will absorb any water (ethanol and water mix up to 1:1 ratio) and burn it away as steam. "Rod" your fuel lines with the stiffest wires you can get down them - you may have to do this both ends, then unhook each side; blow from front to rear.

Take out the sender unit from the tank, check the condition of the strainer on the end - replace if necessary. Bend it up slightly - this reduces the efficiency, but lifts it out of a bed of rusty mud somewhat.

This is about as cheap/quick as you'll get while ensuring some reliability.

Regards, Adam.

Corellian Corvette- where do you find a repo tank for a non mustang car? I looked for one for my car and all I could find was a fiberglass tank. my only option is to weld my own up.

nick

Today I hooked Trey up with a spin on fuel filter mount and after digging through the Wix filter book, found a nice big oil filter off a 7.8L Ford diesel that fit perfectly. Not sure how well the paper element will hold up to the gasoline, but we'll find out :)

Heh Trey, I had the same problem when i bought my 63 comet 2 yrs. ago. It is definitely rust that you are dealing with, pull the tank and install some small rocks inside and shake the s--t out of it and then flush it with soapy water and blow dry with air. Install new filters and change them after about a week or 2 of driving, and it should be OK.

Back