DuraSpark or DUI?

From all accounts, the DUI is a solid and reliable piece of equipment.

That said, I'll probably be sticking to my DS2 set up. When people talk about costs, and some say it's comparable and others say it's not.

What addo said is accurate. The DS2 is more modular and can be upgraded piece meal. The dizzy and cap are not expensive. If you wanna save some $$, go with a generic GM module. It's cheap and vast improvement over points. Sure, maybe not as good as the DUI, but pretty darn close. Once you get some money save up, you can put and MSD in and be sitting pretty with really good performance.

63FuturaRag":3kqnbfyk said:
I'm a Falcon I6 200 newbie. I see plenty of talk about the DuraSpark electronic ignition but hardly anything about the DUI. It appears from a newbie's perspective, that the one-stop-shop everything-contained-in-one DUI would be easier to install. Any opinions on this topic? If this has been brought up before I apologize.

Kinda depends on what your gonna do? Stocker/driver would benefit from a Duraspark conversion if youre gonna use the GM coil to power it.

If your gonna upgrade to a new Duraspark system with an MSD box then it costs about the same as the DUI by the time you figure all the components in.

If your trying to get every last horsepower out of your vehicle then the DUI is the way to go.

DUI is a one wire hookup. Duraspark & MSD requires positive and negative wires to the battery, modification to your existing wiring harness and an adapter harness to connect the MSD box to the Duraspark distro.

How do I know?

I've ran the pertronix with stock distro, Duraspark with blue strain relief control box & stock coil, Duraspark with MSD box and Blaster 2 coil and then fianlly the DUI that I'm currently running.

I've also got some drag times posted that show an improvement in et's by switching to the DUI.

I dont do used ignition components or used cooling components, so I have no input on the cost of a used conversion.

Later,

Doug

wsa111":3cg1ooiw said:
Mike, i agree with you on the DUI. In a 415" small block chevy i had the DUI out performed a curved HEI that was previously in the engine. I believe their module with their coil are the reason there is a performance gain.
Without a doubt, their patented Dyna module is better than a stock GM unit. As I explained in my post above, the DUI incorporates a high dwell module, which increases the coil saturation time. As a result the DUI coil produces a single long duration spark, as compared to multiple sparks, which has been proven to improve throttle response and low end power. They have numerous dyno results which back this up.

Mike, does your DUI come with the nylon screws that hold the rotor to the advance shaft mount???
Yes

Also you stock some DUI's for sale, do you know how much centrifigul advance is in your units???
I always have DUI's in stock, just not always the right cap color. Advance is 24* at 3000rpm. The curve was set up according to the specs I gave them for an average performance build, and will work 99% of the time. See the next comment.
If anyone needs a specific curve, you can still purchase the unit from Mike & Performance Distributors will drop ship the unit to you. Correct me if i am wrong.
This is correct. If you send me the specs and request a custom curve, I will order it and have it drop shipped. If you call to order a DUI directly from PD, they will refer you to Classic Inlines, as we have an exclusive on the DUI.

Performance Distributors is a great company to deal with. I have purchased many of their products & you actually deal with a real person who knows the product they sell.
They are without a doubt, the best company I've dealt with, as well as Clay Smith Cams and Jet-Hot. All three stand behind their products 100%. Burn up an MSD or a Petronics, and you'll wind up paying for a new one. However if you have problem with the DUI just send it back (call first). They will either fix it, or replace it, and in most cases free of charge. Not many companies offer this kind of service on electrical components, if any?

It seems like the distributor gear wear problem has quieted down or am i wrong????
I did a lot of research on this, and put my findings in a rather lengthy tech article. Bottom line, it's usually a combination of problems that result in gear failure, but the most common reason is improper break-in (if any). The cheap aftermarket pot metal gears don't help the situation either, but are usually OK if no other issues are present. http://classicinlines.com/DizzyGear.asp

If there is concern in the pump area, we can start a new thread & both myself & Will-does10's can give you the problems we found & the fix.
I'd appreciate it if you both e-mailed me with any info you have, so I can write up a tech article. ;)

jamyers":3cg1ooiw said:
Well, maybe nobody's said those exact words, but DUI installs have had their share of threads/issues, like:
"Hey, my DUI:
(1) sheared off the distributor gear-teeth,
(2) melted its cap/rotor/coil,
(3) makes a grinding noise,
(4) needs a relay to feed it,
(5) doesn't like a relay feeding it,
(6) made so much EMI noise that the radio was useless.
(7) And not to be picky, but a DUI also doesn't fit into an early Econoline without using a BFH.

Reply:
(1) It's not the dizzy, regardless of the manufacturer (Pertronics-Mallory-DSII-DUI), that causes premature gear failure. Rather a combination of other issues, with improper break-in being the most common.
(2) Turned out it was a shorted coil, however the cause was never determined. It could have been faulty from the start, installed wrong when it was assembled (pinched wires), or initially mis-wired when it was installed? Bottom line, PD replaced it free of charge.
(3) It was never confirmed if the noise was in fact coming from the dizzy, or even if there was a problem? And if it was, I'd be willing to bet he didn't follow the proper break-in proceedures. I'm assuming the problem went away, as we never heard another word about it.
(4) That was a member simply asking for advise, as he wanted to know the best way to wire the DUI. I wouldn't call that an issue. How many have asked how to wire the DSII?
(5) So far, to my knowledge, you are the only one that hasn't been able to use a relay. I'm assuming it was a wiring issue, but I could be wrong. It just doesn't make sense that hundreds of customers have wired their DUI with a relay, while only one says it doesn't work. ???
(6) Same as #1. It turned out that the shorted coil was causing the interference. Once the coil was replace, the problem disappeared. In the interm, he repalced his new Bosch 8mm wires with the DUI Livewires, which increase his idle speed by 200rpm.
(7) The only reason he needed a hammer is because he didn't remove the dog house prior to installing the dizzy. Once it was in, it fit fine. He also noted he could have cut an access hole in the dog house, but decided to use a hammer instead. I know of three others that have successfully installed the DUI in their Econlones, "66 E100 Pickup" had this to say;
Lots of room. In fact, bringing the new dizzy up about 5" will make it a lot easier to work on (the intention is to never work on it again) :LOL:

I'll be the first to admit the DUI is pricey, at least the up front cost. But its also the best dizzy/ignition system available. This is not to say they can't have problems, as everything does. But the likely hood is rare, and if and when you do have a problem, it won't cost an arm and a leg to get it fixed. However if your on a budget, the DSII is awesome and light years ahead of the stock dizzy, especially when combined with the Dyna module. And I say that because I firmly believe it, not just because I sell the modules. I refuse to push a product on someone just to make a sale. In fact I'll refer a potential customer elsewhere, and lose a sale, if I think they would be better off with a product I don't carry. ;)

Wow, it appears there are some strong opinions on this one. I just have a stock 200ci and only use the car for cruising on Sunday. I had a Pertronix II unit and coil that did not work, and am now curious about other options. I'm willing to spend money if it's worth it in the long run. It does seem like to me that electronic is the way to go if I don't want to tinker much. I want to get the car to a point where I can drive it anytime I want without having to fix it everyday. I am thankful for all the opinions I have heard here, it has helped me to make the decision. I'm going to try the DUI because of the simplicity. Do I need to remove any resistors from the coil wire? I don't even know if it has one. It's a 63 Futura Convertible. Will the vacuum line work with my 65 Autolite 1100 with spark advance?

Back