All Small Six Ford Racing Filter For the Ford Six

This relates to all small sixes

wsa111

Distributor Recurving.
Staff member
VIP
Approved Vendor
Supporter 2018
Ford Racing has a performance filter CM-6731-FL1A.
This filter has over 400 sq. in. of filter area, twice the amount as the standard FL1A.
The capacity is the same as the stock filter. All its specs far surpass the stock FL1A.
This filter is pricy, over $30.00.
Information from 63 Sprint, via Ford Motor Company.

Attachments

• Data Sheet.png
    Data Sheet.png
    540.3 KB · Views: 21
If it is a race filter, it might screen to higher (worse) level of micros (i.e., 40 vs 20)? many race filter do, or so I am told.

Would this be a 5 quart filter or a 4-1/2 quart?
I was planning on getting the fl-299 for the next change.

Filter oil capacity is based on the size of the filter the full size FL1 and its variants are a 1 qt filter, 1/2 quart filters will be either shorter or smaller in diameter or both, so if your engine originally used an FL1 filter, oil capacity will not change when using a HP variant of the FL1 a smaller filter that holds less oil will have a different part number such as a FL400. Based on the specs listed in the 1st post I don't know if I would call this a racing filter, with its larger filtering surface it will flow more oil before bypassing but when both variants are bypassing they will flow the same. The filter that was always considered the racing filter was the FL1HP which had a thicker shell and a much higher burst pressure rating, you could literally feel the difference the HP was much heavier than the standard FL1 and you couldn't squeeze the shell in like a beer can. They were made by Purolator for Ford and marketed as Autolite and later Motorcraft. Purolator also marketed the same filter under their own part number and Fram used to market similar thick shell HP filters as did Baldwin.

Back