Fried Pertronix unit??

Redfalken

I think I may have blown my Pertronix unit! I was messing with some wires under the dash and accidently touched a hot wire that is on when the ignition is on to some ground metal and got a spark. Didn't think much of it until I tried to start the car and it would not even begin to fire up. I pulled a plug, grounded it and there is no spark when I cranked the engine.

I checked that there was power to the coil and that was OK. I also put a grounded plug on the coil wire, disconnected the ground wire of the coil, turned on the ignition and then tapped a wire from the negative coil to the engine block. I got a spark at the plug so the coil is good. So...I think my shorting the wire that ran through the ignition switch must have fried the Pertronix.

I'll put on some points I have tomorrow to see if it runs but I don't want to run them for long since I don't have a ballast wire and it's a 40,000 volt coil so I'm guessing it would burn up the points.

Is there a way to "bench test" a Pertronix module? Who has the best price on these? I got mine 6 years ago for $60. Is it worth upgrading to the Pertronix II? Thanks for any advice.

I don't think what you did would kill pertronix unit. I had one that was a little over a year old and one day the car would not start. I called Pertonix about it and they gave me instructions on how to package it and where to send it. About 4 days later they called me and said there was nothing wrong with the unit, but he had permission to send me a brand new one. Which I recieved about 3 days later. I have sinced changed to the DS2 with the MSD box

Kenny, you have 2 choices, either send the defective unit back to pertronix & get a replacement or go to the duraspark distributor for your application.
Do not use the pertronix II, they have had more problems with this unit than the original pertronix I. Good luck william

I bought the unit in May of 1999 and I think it only has a 30 month warranty so that's long expired. I'll just have to get another but they're too expensive at the parts stores in town so I put my points back in to give me time to order over the internet.

At first I just replaced the Ignitor with the points and it would run for 20-30 seconds and just start sputtering until it died. I could tell by the look of the points that they were burning out. I don't have a ballast resistor in so I reinstalled it. Same thing happened. I had to swap out my 40,000 volt MSD coil with the original and it finally ran OK. I adjusted the dwell and timing and probably should close the gap on the plugs a little as well.

I always carried my old points in the toolbox thinking it would be an easy swap in an emergency but unless you're using a stock coil and ballast resistor...plan on a bit more work to get it running again.

It's been awhile since my original post but I just wanted to do a follow-up. Since my Pertronix unit was long past the warranty, I decided to get another one. Well...this time I bought the Ignitor II despite Williams frequent warnings to others on this forum. No offense William but I also read that some people have had success with it so I just had to find out for myself.

I couldn't really tell much difference in performance but after just one month of use, I returned from a 1,700 mile trip to the Nationals and the very next day the car would not start. After trying several things, I put my points system back in and it fired right up. Luckliy I had the day off work and was in my driveway. I sent it back to Pertronix and they sent me a new unit. I've been running points since then and finally decided to put the replacement Ignitor II on eBay and go with a Duraspark II distributor and MSD 6A module.

I bought the MSD unit and Duraspark plug adapter from Summit ($172) and a rebuilt Cardone distributor, cap, adapter collar, rotor, and wires from rockauto.com ($125). Is there anything else I'm going to need for this upgrade? Does anyone know if the clamp that holds the Duraspark II distributor in place is different from the one on my stock dizzy? I was reading a website that showed one as being thicker that the other but can I get the old one to work?

Anyway, make up your own mind but I'm with William now on the Ignitor II. Going bad after just 4 weeks running made me too nervous to install another one. I'm excited to get the DSII/MSD upgrade in. I've heard more good things than bad about it and I do lots of short trips so I've heard it may help with fouled plugs and rough idle when warming up. (see my other post http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24857)

I don't know what trouble you are talking about with the Pertronix II, but I've had one in my 302 for about a year and a half with no trouble. It made a noticeable increase in idle quality and all around smoothness vs points, not to mention not having to file and re-gap points every 3000 miles. Maybe the 6 cylinder version is not as good quality??

Stick the Distributor in and use the old clamp.

One thing I learned the hard way was to use 10ga wire on the main power lead to the MSD. Solder any terminals and use a good ground. Other than that, the MSD is plug-n-play. I especially like the high pitched scream that the spark makes! Be Careful!

It might be that the six-cylinder Ignitor II has some problem going on that isn't present in the V-8 module?? I've also read that some people have had good luck with it in their six so it's hard to tell. I just think I'll give the DSII/MSD a try this time.

I did read in the instructions to use a thicker gauge wire when adding length but thanks for confirming the importance of it. I'm going straight to the battery with the positive and I'll hook the ground to the the block.

The instructions also mentions having a ground strap between the engine and chassis. I'm sure I don't have one and don't think I've ever seen one on a stock six. Any reason I don't need to add one? I wouldn't think it could hurt and would be pretty inexpensive. I'f I were to add one, what would be the best points to connect?

I will testify to the problems with the 6 cyl Ignitor II. I installed one and a few months ago (even bypassing the ballast resister) and had nothing but trouble. It ran fine at freeway speeds but would hardly idle at all. I would have to two-foot the brake and gass pedel in reverse or at traffic lights. Once I put the points back in, it ran perfect.

Hey Marc,

When you mentioned your ground strap I had to run out to the car and check. I guess I have one afterall...duh! I had envisioned one of those flat 1" braided straps and forgot about the small one from the firewall to where the starter bolts to the bellhousing.

Never mind...:oops:

Back