Fuel pump compatability - 200 vs. 250?

62Ranchero200

Famous Member
Greetings Ford Six Fans,

Have always believed that fuel pumps were interchangable between all Ford small sixes, give or take the fitment of the vacuum pump (for the windshield wipers) in the early models, upward vs. rearward-facing fuel fittings, and fuel line size compatibility.

When I put my 250 together, had the fuel pump from my old 200 (from a '79 Fairmont), which only had a few hundred miles on it, so used that for the 250. As far as pumping fuel, it worked, and up to the point that I revved the engine so far (maybe 4,000 RPM - it's still early in the break-in period) the engine was never starved for fuel.

However, I noticed last weekend that there was a slow oil leak from the bottom of the fuel pump mount to the block. Picked up a new pump and gasket at O'Reilly, Precision Pumps # M16212.

Here's where it gets interesting: the new pump (which was spec'd for a '72 Maverick, 4.1L 250 ci) seems substantially different from the old one. The body of the new pump is substantially larger, and the inlet fitting is 3/8", compared to 5/16" for the old one; both of which I could put down to manufacturing differences. But the pumping arm is one piece of curved metal on the old pump, a piece of metal with a slight angle to it and also what appears to be a hardened plate riveted to it on the new pump. Most strikingly though, the shape of the mounting surface on the pump is flipped vertically on the new pump compared to the old one. That is, if one expects that both pumps should be mounted with the fuel fittings up, the fuel pump gasket has to be turned one way to fit on the old pump, but flipped vertically to fit on the new pump.

Looked at the mounting boss, and as far as I can tell there's enough surface on the mounting boss to mount the pumps either way, although fuel fittings up is the only way that would work for me, because the fuel fittings hit the motor mount if I mount the pump with the fuel fittings down.

Surfed the Advance Auto Parts and NAPA web sites and found the same type of fuel pump spec'd for the '74 250.

Are fuel pumps fully interchangable between 200s and 250s?

Thanks
Bob the Builder

Howdy Bob:

THis is a new one. very interesting. Do you happen to have pix? Thanks for the info.

Adios David

Interchangeable, yes, to a point. The lines and fittings changed over the years. And the pump arms themselves may stamped steel, cast, or laminated steel and of different shapes. Some years and models have the fittings on top, some on the bottom. But the base is the same shape and should be installed in that orientation. As far as capacity, I doubt there's a great deal of difference between a 200 pump and a 250 pump.

I don't think it's possible to fit a pump "upside down" in this engine and make it work. Even if it fit, the arm probably wouldn't align to the eccentric properly.

Yes the 250 pumps mounting flange is made in a different orientation to the 200's. As long as you mount it so the gasket and flange will seal to the block it will fit (can only bolt up one way and seal). I don't have a way to look at my 250 Maverick right now to check correct mounting for you. Good luck :nod:

Yes I think that's correct as a second check though the fuel pump inlet is 90 degrees and should be pointing straight back at the firewall. Good luck :nod:

Drove the Ranchero tonight and the new fuel pump worked, and did not leak a drop of oil.

So the moral of the story is that fuel pumps are not absolutely interchangable on small sixes; at least, a 200 fuel pump bolted to a 250 will deliver fuel, but will not cover the mounting boss completely, which will result in an oil leak.

Thanks
Bob the Builder

Back