Fuel pump issue

mo1

Hello all. I have 65 mustang coupe 6 cylinder that i recently rebuild. This is my first rebuild. I believe there is an issue with the fuel pump. It is a new one. However I did a fuel pressure test because the carb. over flows with gas. The pressure is at 7 psi. The manuel says it should be between 4 to 6 psi. Rebuilt the carb. twice and I believe there is no problem with the carb. So my question is, is there a way to adjust the fuel pump? If not is there any advice on buying one that puts out the appropriate psi? Or a good brand?

mo1- the new china fuel pumps are not consistent. I have one on a 300 that makes 3 psi. Many over pressurize. There's no way to tune the pump. Install a fuel pressure regulator, then you can set the pressure where the carb is happiest. Except for certain carbs, 4-5 psi works really well. With the regulator you can adjust it to your carb. A gauge to go with it is not necessary, but helpful.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3032

Attachments

• 100_1137.JPG
    100_1137.JPG
    291.7 KB · Views: 7
Yes sir. The regulator is beneficial to all carburetors. I would begin @ 4 1/2 lbs. The lowest pressure that allows the carb to function at full load without starving is ideal IMO. There is less strain on the needle/seat/float and less hot engine flooding. The regulator in the pic above is feeding a Holley 4 barrel with 5 psi.
I wager reducing your pressure to no more tan 5 psi will cure the flooding.

Yes sir. The regulator is beneficial to all carburetors. I would begin @ 4 1/2 lbs. The lowest pressure that allows the carb to function at full load without starving is ideal IMO. There is less strain on the needle/seat/float and less hot engine flooding. The regulator in the pic above is feeding a Holley 4 barrel with 5 psi.
I wager reducing your pressure to no more tan 5 psi will cure the flooding.
Thank you again for your help much appreciated

Back