Fuel pump ticking - recommendations for new one?

Route--66--

Hi all
When I bought my 200ci Mustang a year ago the fuel pump was making a loud ticking sound.
I bought a new one http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-6-CYLINDER-CANISTER-TYPE-FUEL-PUMP-P2141.aspx
A year on and maybe 1300 miles later this new one (which looked exactly the same as the old one) has also now started this ticking :(

Virginia Mustang have been good and offered to change it - but the shipping costs will cost just as much as to buy another.

So, am thinking of getting a Carter canister type pump from rockauto
Is the quality of these ok?
getimage.php

Just as a thought, I like to keep everything original looking, but would anyone recommend changing to an electric pump?? If so do I need any particular pressure? - I'm running a stock 200 with autolite 1100.

(as I think more about this an electric pump makes more sense as it would also solve any float chamber evaporation.. .)

Many thanks!

If you are concerned with it looking original how about this? Install an electric pump near the tank, plumb it into the existing fuel line, and remove the check valves from the mechanical pump. While you have the mechanical pump out, zip the fuel pump arm off with a hacksaw, clean it and reinstall the pump. You will then have a "dummy" mechanical pump with fuel being pushed through it and no one will ever know.

Except for me and you. And everyone reading this. :)

If you do go that route, you can use a Holley red pump if they are available on your side of the pond. I believe that pump delivers around 7 psi and will not require a regulator. If you mount that pump with rubber isolation grommets, you will never know it is running and will appear stock. 8)

Excellent idea thanks :)

The pump that's on is sealed so I wouldn't be able to dismantle the valves .. is a thought though ..

Have tried blowing through the inlet of the pump I took off last year and it does allow through flow with little resistance so that could still be a go-er (y)

Would something like this do the job
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FACET-Sol...arParts_SM&hash=item1c16ae3851#ht_1332wt_1139

assume I don't need more than about 4 psi .. also I assume I don't need an additional pressure regulator??

Thanks loads!
D

I misread your original post and thought you had a 2100 carb and that's why I suggested the Red Holley pump. After re-reading I would say that with your 1100, the pump you posted should work fine and would require no regulator at that pressure. I'm not too sure about pushing fuel through the mechanical pump with the check valves in place as it may stress the electric pump. But hey, it's your shiny new pump with which to do as you please. :beer:

Back