good carb/dizzy set for a 170 w/200 head upgrade later???

sharkskinman

170 auto w/1909 holley carb and stock dizzy

Looking at a 1940 or 1946 for a bolt on upgrade at the moment(maybe a carter off of early 70s mavericks..)
But want optimal dizzy for one of them..

Right now i just need a carb to replace the 1909 wich as far as i can tell is missing a peice or two...

But have dual header and want to upgrade to a 200/250 head in the near future
I want it to run and drive but be a little open for upgrades

Please help asap..the carb is only thing holding it from being driven

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with an Autolite 1100. Solid and reliable. There may be better performing 1Vs out there, but the 1100 is solid and simple and reliable.

Couple it with a Duraspark II upgrade or a Pertronix ignition depending if you want to keep the original dizzy look or not.

Slade

Howdy:

Hey, is this on your '62 block? With an Auto Trans? IF so, the easiest bolt-on, considering linkage,fuel line orientation, manual choke, etc... will be a reconditioned Holley- The side bowl Models are coolest- 1904 IIRC?

A '62 block will not be able to accept a Dura Spark II for a couple of reasons. So the best bet/simpliest is to upgrade your stock distributor with a Petronx Ignitor. Distributor upgrades to the early, small hole blocks can be pricey and/or complicated. check it out.

Adios, David

sharkskinman":2lhzkt8b said:
Gonna check for a 1904 and a 1100

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/130979080448?ssP ... 1438.l2649

What about this for a 2bbl??
Any good 2bbls??

i used an adapter very much like that one to put an autolite 2100 two barrel on my old 66 falcon 170. it worked rather well overall, but the idle tended to be a bit rich and hard to get right. at one point i even had one barrel completely shut off at idle where it ran its best, but was still a bit off.a direct mount two barrel would be a better set up.

Get a YF, they still make them new you can get one from nat. carbs, I don't understand why people love the 1100, simple yes, but a total POS imho. To each his own.

Econoline":1daoa7hg said:
yeah, Carter YF
it was an OEM.
also in *eeps & a few others (for several decades).
Gotta get the right model or fiddle w/it if an "off model".
If doing so it could bridge the gap as you go from the 170 to 200 head.

The Holley 1904 had a cool glass bowl - great for looks.

Let us know as U go along...

i picked up a 1904 visa-flow carb..
should be here Monday

waiting on a alt mount from falcon enterprises
and picking alternator...

then she should be on the road!!

I have a 200 in my EB. Went with new Carter YF and Pertronix ignition. Works great, easy to tune, good drivability, and keeps stock appearance. Good luck.

One last thought - R the bore/throat dimensions and 2-mounting bolts distances the same on the 170 & 200 U have? I think so. There is differences on years (changes in same model) and between models I've heard. Isn't it the 250 that changes most radically among the 4 sm. 6s...

Back