Harmonic Balancer Swap

ksands18

I'm in the final stages of replacing the original C-code 200 in my 67 with an E block. The E's harmonic balancer is a double-groove and a larger diameter than the C and so my original water pump pulley rubs against it (the new motor did not come with an appropriately sized water pump pulley). So my choices are to either try and track down the smaller E code water pump pulley or swap the harmonic balancers. Is there any reason why it would not be a good idea to install the 67 balancer onto the E block?

I found the same thing. There is also a difference in how far the crank pulley comes out from thd engine. About,oh, 0.125 " of pulley to front cover distance.

I aggree you should Remove it carefully with a three leg puller with 3.5 inch centers. That will work. And put on the parts that fit.

However, 53 year old elasomeric rubber will fail. So its best to get it reconditioned, or find an OEM replacement C coded item thats brand new.

When the long nose 4.5 inch pump was added it was to allow the extra accessories to fit on the small six, its about 0.25 inches longer, but the balancer to water pump distance is super close. The diameter is 6.75 inches and Ford just swapped to the 4.5 " long nose Fox 3.3 water pump

The 250 moved to similar length in 1968/69.

Rick Wrench and his brother made a special water pump pulley that Classic In lines wss to copy. Leave a message with Matt Cox at Vintage In lines. Search " water pump pulley" against user "Rick Wrench" in special search top left of the screen above.

Wow, great info thanks! Searched through some of those older posts too and if I'm understanding things correctly, I can just swap my old water pump and older style harmonic balancer onto the E block and that should work? Any clearance issues with the E's timing cover or alignment with the alternator that might trip me up? It seems like if the pulleys sit slightly further back, then I'd also need to use the older alternator bracket as well to keep everything in alignment...or is the difference negligible?

I'm gunna have fun too. Nothing on mine lines up w/anything else...
:cry: :oops:
3 groove HB, 1 on H2O pump (the suggested GMB for the 250, is it short nose? long?), the i6 power steering pump bracket of 3 or 4 pieces...
Wanted to try to figure the frnt dress on the stand but the assembler/builder was not communicating then~

Gota listing of 1 and 2 shive pullies for ford. I'll B looking to see if there's any info abt how far out they run but I doubt that. Wait - I thing one shive on the HB lines up w/the 1 on the alternater...

~ double post ~
(can U sleep sitting up? I think I can !)

chad":31oxmik3 said:
I'm gunna have fun too. Nothing on mine lines up w/anything else...
:cry: :oops:
3 groove HB, 1 on H2O pump (the suggested GMB for the 250, is it short nose? long?), the i6 power steering pump of 3 or 4 pieces...
Wanted to try to figure the frnt dress on the stand but the assembler/builder was not communicating then~

Gota listing of 1 and 2 shive pullies for ford. I'll B looking to see if there's any info abt how far out they run but I doubt that. Wait - I thing one shive on the HB lines up w/the 1 on the alternater...

long nose

If you could have the pulley turned down slightly since you said it rubs a little, I'd try that. That way you get the bigger balancer. Makes the engine even smoother

xctasy":2g1sleot said:
long nose
thanx for that, @ least something to go by asa start....

Back