Head project tips

lorwood

Well I finally located a D7 large log head. Looks like I am finally going to lose the C1 head sitting on the 68 block inside my 66 Mustang! :banghead: I stripped it last night and today I sent it to Mike at CI. I am going for the standard rebuild 2V HW conversion light port and CC the chambers. The head I located had a nice non adjustable rocker on it. If the Gods are with me when I begin the teardown I will find some adjustables under that C1 head. Anyway this is the first time I am doing anything like this. I have read and will continue to read anything and everything I can get my hands on to help. I think I have the basics down i.e use studs instead of bolts, watch the stud into the water pump, watch torque sequence etc. But if anybody has any tips on how to make this go smoothly I would be greatful. This Forum has been great for a novice like myself. Thanks to all you "Master Gearheads.

This is asked almost every time a head comes off. Are you going to change the cam while your at it? This mod can help with a multitude of things. Although my engine is a full rebuild (going there later to check results of magna flux) many people change the cam when the head comes off.

i don't see any reason to use studs unless your supercharging it.if you use bolts use washers the thickness of the amount that was shaved off the head.

I don't think the budget will allow for more than the head and carb. Its just a Sunday driver so I am looking for a little better performance/idle/drivability.

As a matter of fact I don't think the budget allows for the head and carb so lets not tell the wife! :D

The head is in good hands for the mods don't see any problems with your plan. I also don't care much for studs in place of head bolts on the milder engine builds, but it will for sure work. Just don't see the need except for a very hi performance street car or a race car.

Do a little research on porting.

After you get the valves out you'll be able to see how poor the exhaust ports are. Clean up the transitions in the valve pockets below the seats, take out any lumps and bumps in the ex port, and make the ex port a little taller. Do a three angle valve job, backcutting the valves and it will make a noticeable difference on a 250.

MustangSix":2ine3puh said:
Do a little research on porting.

After you get the valves out you'll be able to see how poor the exhaust ports are. Clean up the transitions in the valve pockets below the seats, take out any lumps and bumps in the ex port, and make the ex port a little taller. Do a three angle valve job, backcutting the valves and it will make a noticeable difference on a 250.
Thanks for the info. I did one better and sent the head out to CI in AZ because the real secret to success is knowing your limitations!

Back