All Small Six HEI cearance issues on 200 6?

This relates to all small sixes

karkev

Looking real hard at this eBay HEI distributor for the 1977 200 in my 1960 Ranchero. Seller suggested clearance issues between the cap and the block....? I appreciate his honesty but aint lots of you fellers running an identical set-up with nary an issue?s-l400.jpg

Generic Ford DSI or DSII distrib' with an HEI 'trigger' module and a high energy coil probably better setup with no 'issues' than 'offshore' HEI dist. for small block Fords...
Pertronix makes a suitable HEI module with programmable Rev. Limiter for serious builds ...
see:

have fun

Hi, the aftermarket distributor will fit your Ranchero, but the original Ford distributor is much better, especially if you have the Duraspark setup from 1977. Good luck

I also went with the Duraspark distributor. I got a remanufactured one from the local chain auto parts store and it's been working well. I bought one for the 1975 Maverick 200 I6. It uses the smaller cap and the male plug wires - looks very much like the points distributor that your ranchero originally came with. Best of all, if it fails, I can take it, with my receipt, to the nearest local store and exchange it - it has a lifetime warranty.

distributor.jpg

All of the above will fit.
The HEI & DUI will not fit a vehicle with Power Steering.
All of the above distributors need to be recurved for your appliction.
The HEI has way too much centrifugal advance. Plus has an over oiling condition plus another problem i will not mention.
The DS11's are much better. However both the centrifugal & vacuum advance are probably not correct for your build.
If you want the best get your wallet out & purchase one of my DS11's. billythedistributorman&live.com

I replaced my "rebuilt" Duraspark that had a worn shaft bushing and loose reluctor with an eBay HEI on my 78 200.
I moved the HEI module to a CPU heat sink that sticks thru the radiator support.
My HEI module now runs cooler than the radiator support.
My carburetor also run cool but that is another story.

Last edited:
My HEI distributor I got from Bill even fits with my stock power steering pump, I have no clearance issues at all...

Back