How can I get more MPGs ?!?!?

If you really want to get hardcore about it, put the car on a dyno.

Figure out where the most efficient spot in the curve is (measure fuel consumption vs. HP output) and gear the car to sit right there at cruise speed .
A lot easier with an EFI car, because you can measure injector Pulse width. For a carbed car, you would need a flow meter which is beyond the average persons capabilities.

The biggest things you can do are make sure the tires are aired up to the max, make sure the car is aligned, drive like a grandma, and try to avoid braking. Clutch in as you decelerate to avoid the high vacuum of deccel sucking fuel through your idle circuit.

Upgrade the ignition one way or another and run as much advance as you can get away with.

OD transmission, and make sure you aren't over geared. Don't wind the piss out of it on acceleration.

Also, switch to EFI :)

Ditto on the Duraspark II. Replaced my Load-o-matic dizzy (which was already running a Pertronix I unit) about two weeks ago. I also recurved the DSII according to the sticky at the top of the page. I picked up a solid 2 mpg (now 20 as opposed to 18 ) in around town driving (and some of the hottest weather so far this year... 95+ degrees).

My Holley 1940 carb doesn't have the SCV so I know that my old LOM dizzy was not getting the proper advance signal... ditching the LOM was probably the primary contributing factor to the MPG increase. But I must say that the car starts MUCH more easily now... and my idle has smoothed out considerably.

FWIW, I have my old plugs gapped at .045, and set initial timing at 6*. I'm running the DSII vacuum from the manifold. I don't trust the spark port on my 1940 carb (which is in bad need of a rebuild/replacement anyway).

After this next tank of gas, I'm going to advance the initial timing to 10* and see how it affects my mpg.

Before I get too far into the Fall, I'm going to replace the carb... likely with the Holley 5200 progressive 2 barrel.

Anyone want to buy my Pertronix I? It only has about 3,000 miles on it and works fine.

Back