How to set ignition timing

Hello everyone I have a 49 ford 226 flathead and I'm having trouble setting my timing right
I replaced the vacuum advanced
I have no way of finding where the TDC marks are at on the harmonic balancer I only see there's a little bump that's my guess where TDC would be at???
If anyone can tell me step by step how to doit very much appreciate thanks

Attachments

• 20220721_093020.jpg
    20220721_093020.jpg
    877.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220721_093026.jpg
    20220721_093026.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Here is some info on the 1948 to 1950 226 cubic inch. Flathead six. Was rated at 95 Horsepower and 180 Ft. Lbs. of Torque @ 1200 RPM
Compression Ratio is 6.80 to 1. For an engine that's in good condition it should have a Cranking Compression Test Pressure @ 100 RPM of 110 lbs.

Tune Up Specs for the 1949 to 1950 Six
Firing Order is 1-5-3-6-2-4
The original Spark Plugs used were the Champion H-10 gapped at .030"
Breaker Point Gap is set to .024 to .026"
The Ignition Timing is set to TDC.
Carburetor is a Holley single barrel down-draft type with manual choke.
The Vacuum Reading (at idle speed) should be 18 to 21" at an 500 Idle RPM

Other Specs
Crankcase Oil Capacity is 4 Quarts
Oil Pump pressure of 57 lbs. is normal
Cooling System Capacity (without the heater) for a 1948: is 17 quarts, 1949-50: it was 16 quarts
Pistons were an Aluminum Alloy Flat Head type with 4 Rings
Piston Pins have the Floating type Piston Pins
Valve Seats are an Insert Type on the Exhaust Valves

You are correct on there is a Pointer seen in your first picture that lines up with either a V at the back of the lower Crankshaft damper as looks like in your above picture or or many have a Button on the pulley those marks should be the timing marks that lint timing advance too. Best of luck

Attachments

• Ford 226 Flathead Six 1949-1951 Left Right View 1.jpg
    Ford 226 Flathead Six 1949-1951 Left Right View 1.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 7
Thank very much so the little dot on the crank should be aligned with the pointed closest to it right?
Also would I have to disconnect the vacuum off the carburetor and plug it off to set the timing?
To what degrees should it be at

Yes align the Timing cover Pointer (seen in your Picture and if you look close also in the picture I posted too) above with the Button on the Damper Pulley and your at the correct TDC that the Base Timing is set at. Yes the Vacuum needs to be unhooked capped In the 1948 Flatheads and up to 1951 they got the new "Load O Matic" (LOM) type Distributor this works much different then other advance systems. The Timing Advance is then controlled by the distributors internal springs and the Carbs "Spark Control Valve" SCV) these systems mix Manifold and the carbs Venturia Vacuum so the advance is determined by how much Load is on the Engine. You can read more about how the Unique LOM advance systems work at this Link, best of luck. https://fordsix.com/ci/Loadomatic.html

Since these engines have Timing Gears rather than a Timing Chain you can set the Timing Marks so they are pointing at each other and the #1 Piston is also at at TDC on the Compression stroke. Then you could use a 6 Volt Test Light or I have a Buzzer that I use for setting Point timing, Then you turn the Distributor towards Distributor Cap's its #1 Plug Wire Tower and so that the points are just going to almost break open and it will be right on the money. Good Luck Edited

Last edited:
GWizzBob here, & I have a 1947 1/2 ton Pick up with its original 42-47 G series 226 L6.
The Distributor is under the water pump
& is very different from the 47 1/2 H series
226 L6.

The Distributor must be removed from engine
to set the Timing.

Does anyone have an understandable
set of steps on how to do this?

I would appreciate this help!, thanks
47GWizzBob

Back