Hudson six on chassis dyno

Hudson Nut

I made a couple of runs on a chassis dyno today. Run number two was the best, with rear wheel results of 185.1 hp at 4300rpm and 276.2 ft/pounds of torque at 2700 rpm.

'41 Hudson coupe
353 cu.in. flathead 6 (3.875 bore/5" stroke)
2" intake 1.681" exhaust valves
.446 lift / 280 duration cam
Clifford aluminum head / 11.25:1 compression
Tubular tunnelram intake with two Rochester 2G carbs
Magnetic trigger dist. and MSD6AL box
727 torqueflyte trans 2800 stall conv.
Dana rear. 410 gears with welded spiders.
9.0 x 28.5 Firestone slicks (really old)

I'm pretty happy with that, but I'm looking forward to getting the fuel injection on it, and a good set of headers.

Dany

Thats 247 flywheel ponies, and 369 lb-ft. Who needs a 5.4 to 5.8 liter small block! It is behaving exactly like a stock 351 Cleveland 2V with a four barrel intake manifold. That engine had over 2.5 square inches of port area at the gasket face, yet your doing it with a flat head, no ployspheric valves, no cutting edge tech. Man alive!

*The specific torque is the same as a 5.4 Triton truck engine.

*Peak power is better than the DOHC EFI 3.984 liter BA Falcon six, an engine that does 15.5 second quarte miles!

What technological revolution?

Bewtifull.

If I'm ever lucky enough to find a big Hudson, YOU are the man I would call for advice.
That big girl makes all the flat head V8's look wimpy. :D

John

Thank you gentlemen, for the kind words... Obviously, I'm pretty pleased with it so far. As to the twin turbos? ..... I'm afraid it would blow the head clean off of her. hehe

Twin turbos...yeah, the opposition (Subaru B4's etc,) can have them. A nice flat alloy plate seems to be holding the fought nicely!

Well, that's a neat build. Congratulations. An' somewhere, Jack Clifford is out there smilin', with that "I told you so" look on his face. Good job.

J.R.

Thats 247 flywheel ponies, and 369 lb-ft. Who needs a 5.4 to 5.8 liter small block!

*The specific torque is the same as a 5.4 Triton truck engine.

Isn't the Triton 5.4 330c.i.?

Way to go! That is one heck of a motor! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Just like Jurassic Park...watching modern man being devoured by dinosaurs!

Challenge: We run a blown OHV M-series Ford flat six motor thats been stroked, has NOS, Roller Cammed, and Fuel Injected. We hold the class record(s) up and down the East coast. This OHV motor was $pecially designed by Ardun back in the day. Although we mainly utilize the car for exahbition showing, now, we believe that between the two of us, we can really be a crowd pleaser. So, all in all, we challenge you to an old fashion
1/8th run down the track. We will be Gainsville Fla; this year. If you except
please contact us with a way that my promoter can call you in order to make arraingements. We believe that we can once and for all put too rest the myth between who really is "The King of Flatty Six, "Inline Motors".
What say?

Back