All Small Six Installing front crankshaft seal

This relates to all small sixes

shreqshack

Need some help installing the front crankshaft seal on the timing chain cover. I have the new seal but I swear this seal is just a little to large to cram into the space allotted. Any tips?

You can push it in with a bench vice and a large 1/2 inch drive socket or if you use a seal driver kit if you have one.

Need some help installing the front crankshaft seal on the timing chain cover. I have the new seal but I swear this seal is just a little to large to cram into the space allotted. Any tips?
I ordered National Oil Seals part #7486S but does not fit. Is there a different part I should be looking for?

The OEM number is C0DE-6700-A the Outside Diameter OD of the seal is 2.378 inches. The SKI seal number is 17271

SKF 17271 Seal Specs

Yes it's a press in fit and you need to drive it in straight too.

Hi, I can always get the seals installed by gently tapping them with my 24 oz. hammer. I have to tap it around the circumference on the high spots so the seal goes in evenly. A little at a time. It is a tight fit. Good luck

Can I get somebody to look at the serial numbers on their timing chain cover. My in line 6 200 was built built in April 1965 maybe I have a different timing chain cover than the majority of in-line sixes. This oil seal does not fit. I started shaving pieces of plastic off the edge of it trying to get it to fit. That didn’t work either. C5DE - 6059B is the serial number on my timing chain cover. Rock auto suggested using national oil seals 7486S as the correct front seal.Course I’m a newbie at all of this. I don’t know what I’m doing. Any help would be much appreciatedimage.jpg

Hi, post a picture of the seal. There is no plastic on the seal. Can you measure the seal and opening with a caliper? Good luck

Can I get somebody to look at the serial numbers on their timing chain cover. My in line 6 200 was built built in April 1965 maybe I have a different timing chain cover than the majority of in-line sixes. This oil seal does not fit. I started shaving pieces of plastic off the edge of it trying to get it to fit. That didn’t work either. C5DE - 6059B is the serial number on my timing chain cover. Rock auto suggested using national oil seals 7486S as the correct front seal.Course I’m a newbie at all of this. I don’t know what I’m doing. Any help would be much appreciatedView attachment 8273

Your timing cover has a 1965 Design / Casting number this is correct for a 1965 built 200 & 170 engine the same number was probally used in 1966 too, your timing cover is likely original to your car. Other older or newer years of engines will have a different design / casting number related to the year date they were made (first two caricatures in place of the C5). As far as I know all years of 144, 170, and 200's small Ford six'es used the exact same timing cover front seal number. The seal you have looks to be the right one did you try driving it in from the back side of the timing cover?

i would suggest a Haynes, Chiltons or other GUIDE. (Ford dealer's shop manual is quite good/expensive).
need some help installing the front crankshaft seal on the timing chain cover. I have the new seal but I swear this seal is just a little to large to cram into the space allotted. Any tips?
Most often folks here cite "the Handbook" and the above tech archive. I often C vids linked as well. Plez take advantage of this guidance 1st: "I need some help..." One needs the willingness to study, then go forward independantly. Otherwise U risk needing to do the same job over, miss a specific tolerance, install technique or order, tool use, etc. We would best B used when using such a resource and then 'getting stuck'.

Last edited:
As Bubba said, the timing cover has to be off the block & installed from the inside.

For those researching this thread late, there are a couple of nice photos and instructions for installing the crankshaft seal in the timing chain cover in Matt Cox's (new) book, Ford Inline Six, page 85.

The seal is shown being install from the inside (backside) of the cover. Remove the cover from the engine. The photos also show which seal face goes in first - the flat side or the open side. Flat side goes in first.

what page?
(make it easy on me, kid?)

Back