Installing the Tri Power, Getting the head ready, Pics

60s Refugee

The tri power conversion is perhaps the coolest mod you can do to a six, not counting supercharging! I saw one done back in '67. I was impressed then and I still am. I joined this forum after finding it in a search for on line tri power six info. Here I found out about much of the prep work needed for the head. I was asking lotsa' questions and trying to decide whether or not to get another head, or modify the one I have when a gentleman from Texas offered to sell me his tri power head on the "Mustang Monthly" site. It was cheap and had already been mostly done up. He had actually used it on his six, but without headers, cam and such. Of course, I took the offer.

The head had been 'magnafluxed', milled 60, ported, polished, port divider welded in, and most importantly, modified log for three carbs. It included two Holley 1921's, a Holley 1940, a set of 'green stripe' FOMOCO 60 short push rods, linkage, fuel lines, heavier springs, and a syncronizer gauge!

PA070005.jpg

He had not added larger valves. It still had the OEM valves. I asked around and was ready to get a set of 1.84s and 1.50s when Mike at C.I. warned me that I shouldn't go bigger than 1.75 for the intakes. I took his advice and ordered a set of 1.75/1.5 valves along with my cam order. I also decided to have hardened seats installed too.

I read that total CFM of the combined carbs should be 500 or less. The old 1921s are 130 CFM each. I think they are from some old International truck or something. I wasn't impressed with the 1940, so I plan to use the Pony rebuilt Autolite 1100 in the center. I will refer to the carbs by names "Alpha", "Bravo" and "Charlie". The total CFM will be just right. I do intend to upgrade to Webers sometime, but for now these will do.

PA070006.jpg

The log was modified using an Offy conversion. The guy didn't like the Offy design so he cut the Alpha and Charlie base sections out and mounted each seperately. Bravo is mounted to a stock carb base. Nice work!

PA070009.jpg

PA070012.jpg

The linkage is a unique design. The throttle rod actuates the center bell crank. A rod runs up to the Bravo carb. The bell crank has a slotted rod running forward to the Alpha carb, setting up the progressive linkage part. The Alpha carb is then connected to the Charlie carb with a strong adjustable stainless rod and bearings. Real Cool! Smart!

PA070005.jpg

I don't like compression fittings. This fuel line set up will be replaced later.

I took the head to the local NAPA machine shop. Tony installed the new valves and seats and checked the head for flatness. It was fine. The springs were also checked and are good too. There are countless pics of polished combustion chambers with big valves so I will not bother with a pick, but here's how it looked before the valves went in.
PA070015.jpg

"Green Stripe" push rods.

PA070017.jpg

I will install studs for the header and the valve cover. The head has been ready for several weeks now and has been a conversion piece for our customers and visitors :D .

Harry

I have had continual problems with the carbs. Can't get the two outers to stop flooding and finally had to admit that they are worn out and need replaced. I plan to replace all three with Webers and for the mean time I have blocked off the outer two.

The power I got when they were working was slightly better at low RPM but really started to roar when above 4000 rpm. Added about 20 MPH to top end (*will hit 115 now) and for first time can burn rubber in first gear. Not bad for an automatic still running factory road gears.

Never got choke hooked up right because of header so cold weather start up is difficult.

All in all it is worth the effort. I won a first place trophy for best engine in a car show in 2008! Made the big block shevy guys go home angry!!!

Harry

...had to admit that they are worn out and need replaced. I plan to replace all three with Webers and for the mean time I have blocked off the outer two.
It's can be helpful to get three carbs you are confident run well alone - before trying to intergrate into tri-power setup. ... block off plates are handy for tri-power tuning - getting Alpha, Bravo and Charlie (Moe ,Larry and Curly :roll: ) each to first run well on center. . then getting all three carbs to cooperate.

250 Tri-Power
...center carb rules low throttle and outers are shut tight with tolerable fuel and air leakage ... at progressive linkage throttle threshold preset - basically outers snap open thru WOT. (kick in the pants preset 8) )

Back