Intake Manifold Identification

tim7777

I need help identifying the intake manifold / cylinder head on my 1966 Mustang. The engine was replaced about 20 years ago so I have no idea what year 200 was used for the replacement. I’m wanting to purchase a 2V to 1V carb adaptor, but want to make sure I order the correct adapter since I know one is for the small log and one for the large log. The following canting number is listed on the intake: 6 E0BE-6090-BB

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

That's a last gen head, large log. Easy way to tell is to measure the carb hole bore. Large logs are 1 3/4", small are 1 1/2". Also the bolt spacing for the carb, large log is 3 5/16 center to center.

Seth - look for an incoming AOD Q from a vanner out there.
May/may not show up (big6 forum? that's what he's swappin in)...
Econo knows his stuff...
Spotted this post as it seemed odd w/an 'ID intake Q".

Thats a 'best' head ya got there, Tim (good, better, best).
R U sure U gotta 200/3.3 motor? Just double checkin ya (not meant 2B patronizing) but unless
confirmed, 55 yrs - alot can happen...VIN tags notwithstanding :nod:

https://www.vintageinlines.com/carb-adapters

Chad said[/b] . . . “R U sure U gotta 200/3.3 motor? Just double checkin ya (not meant 2B patronizing)“

I checked the engine this evening and the casting number on the block states:

8Z
D8BE
6015-GE

I believe this block casting is from the late 1970s. It appears to have 5 freeze plugs below the exhaust manifold and I believe the water pump only has 3 bolts. I could be wrong, but the best I can tell this all equates to the inline 200.

tim7777":501gfen7 said:
Chad said . . . “R U sure U gotta 200/3.3 motor? Just double checkin ya (not meant 2B patronizing)“

I checked the engine this evening and the casting number on the block states:

8Z
D8BE
6015-GE

I believe this block casting is from the late 1970s. It appears to have 5 freeze plugs below the exhaust manifold and I believe the water pump only has 3 bolts. I could be wrong, but the best I can tell this all equates to the inline 200.
If you got 3 water pump bolts then you definitely have a 200. The starter should be above the center line of the crankshaft as well. If it is below, then you probably can't find the 4th pump bolt lol. I made that mistake thinking it was a low mount starter 200 but it was a 250. 50 extra cubes though! Hehe.

That head you got there is as good as the american heads come. 1420 cc of intake volume, if its the hex head like I believe it is. The vacuum port should be near the front on top of the intake if so. I have one of these on my 66 200

just double ck-in
dont hurt

D8BE-6015-
X2 yes you are correct that Block Design Number is for a late model 200 six its at least a 1978 (but maybe even later into 1980's)! If you find the block and head casting date codes We can tell you the exact day the engine block and head were cast at the Ford foundry. Sounds like you have a very nice combo of parts which Distribitor and carb are you using? Best of luck (y) :nod:

StarDiero75 stated . . . “The starter should be above the center line of the crankshaft as well. If it is below, then you probably can't find the 4th pump bolt lol. I made that mistake thinking it was a low mount starter 200 but it was a 250.”

I checked the starter and it is located at the top, right hand corner of the transmission when looking at it from the front of the car. It also appears to be located above the flange where oil pan mounts.

Thanks,
Tim

bubba22349 stated . . . “Sounds like you have a very nice combo of parts which Distribitor and carb are you using?”

The car currently has the original Load-O-Matic distributor with a Pertronix electronic ignition. The current carburetor is a 1 barrel purchased from UREMCO. My mechanic went through three of them a year ago before he found one that would actually work. And, now after a year, it’s not working correctly either.

I’m looking at updating to the Weber 32/36 progressive carburetor along with a Duraspark II distributor (along with associated control module). I’ll be getting with Bill on the distributor and most likely Vintage Inlines for the carburetor kit.

I’ve had the car for over 20+ years and it’s now finally time to finish some things up and enjoy the car

Thanks,
Tim

Sanity Check Please . . .

I believe what I have is a small log but just want to be 100% sure.

The bolts that fasten the carb spacer to the intake manifold are between 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 inches (bolt center to bolt center).

The studs on the carb spacer used for mounting the 1V carburetor are 2-3/4 inches apart (bolt center to bolt center).

The bore opening of the carb spacer and the intake manifold are both 1-1/2 inches.

So, am I correct in that I have a small log intake?

Thanks,
Tim

:unsure: In your first post I though you said or mentioned that the head casting number was a E0BE-6090-BB is that correct? If so this the very best of the USA made log heads used on both the late 1980 to 1982- 3 200's & 250's. That head number would have the larger 1 3/4 inch carb hole opening.

However if your head only has a 1 1/2 inch carb hole then it's the very early style small log head of around 1967-8 or older. If your planing on using a 1V to 2V adapter you should open the hole up to 1 3/4 or even more some people go to 2 to 2 1/8 inch for the very best flow be sure to also radius the bottom of the hole leading into the log to help the flow turn into the log. Good luck :nod:

Bubba,

I went back out and checked the casting numbers and what I have listed in my initial post is correct.

So, I pulled the carb spacer off this time (which I didn’t do the first time) and remeasured. And, the the bore on the actual manifold is 1-3/4 inches. It would appear the person who put the carb on the car for me last year used a carb spacer with a 1-1/2 opening on a manifold with a 1-3/4 inch opening. Go figure. So, it would appear that I do have the large log.

I guess I shouldn’t have assumed the carb spacer bore and the bore on the intake would be the same size. My bad!

Thanks,
Tim

HI Tim, yes that kind of miss match stuff happens all the time on these old six'es when people are adapting old parts like an early carb to a newer head. Though it will work to just get somthing running using the old 1 1/2 carb spacer with an early carb on these big log heads with a 1 3/4 inch hole it's not the best for getting all the potential performance and economy out of these little six's. Are you going to be taking the head off the engine? These late heads also have the bigger 1 3/4 intake valves their only real draw back is the much larger 62 CC combustion chambers that drop the compression ratio about 1 full point, but that's easily fixed with some milling to get it to 52 or less CC. It sounds like you will be close to having one of the best set ups using stock Ford parts, best of luck (y) :nod:

bubba22349":uatnhyz7 said:
Are you going to be taking the head off the engine?
here's hoping U want the subject line above.
Performance means MPGs & pep...

Did U detail out to us ur intended use of the vehicle? (if so U no dat opinions R just like xxx all ppl have 1) aaahahahaaa
No but there are some bonified experts on here, take advantage of their attention~

bubba22349":la5epe6j said:
HI Tim, yes that kind of miss match stuff happens all the time on these old six'es when people are adapting old parts like an early carb to a newer head. Though it will work to just get somthing running using the old 1 1/2 carb spacer with an early carb on these big log heads with a 1 3/4 inch hole it's not the best for getting all the potential performance and economy out of these little six's. Are you going to be taking the head off the engine? These late heads also have the bigger 1 3/4 intake valves their only real draw back is the much larger 62 CC combustion chambers that drop the compression ratio about 1 full point, but that's easily fixed with some milling to get it to 52 or less CC. It sounds like you will be close to having one of the best set ups using stock Ford parts, best of luck (y) :nod:

Bubba,

Here’s the basic plan . . .

Swap out the carb to a Weber 32/36 using the Vintage Inlines kit with the 1V to 2V adapter.

Swap out the Load-O-Matic dizzy with a Duraspark II and include an MSD ignition module.

Not really looking to take the head off unless it becomes necessary somewhere down the road.

My goal is “reliability” first and foremost. I’m not looking for this car to be a hot rod. Just something the wife and I can go cruising in.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim that's a very good plan, if you can get the carb adapter for your large log head your goals will be quite easy and quick to acomlish. Sould be mostly a bolt togeather project with maybe only a little extra effort needed on the throttle linkage depending on what you plan to use. Ie reworking the stock linkage or going to a cable throdle pedal. The carb and Distribitor swap with make the car a real nice driver as well as more reliable, good luck (y) :nod:

Back