All Small Six Loadomatic distributors, stick vs automatic info

This relates to all small sixes

78_200_C4

Famous Member
It's reported that weakening the springs on the stick distributor will increase the total advance which can lead to pinging.
A total advance stop needs to be fabricated if the spring tension is lessened.
The automatic dist. has less total advance (but more initial advance) than the stick shift.
If you are running a stick shift distributor in an automatic car set the initial timing to the stick shift setting.
I don't see any automatic LOM distributors or automatic vacuum advance units listed at my favorite parts store.

1ServiceHandbook12001_009.jpg

Last edited:
That's good info if you have a loadamatic.
Which in my opinion is a piece of junk.
However what carburetor are you running on your engine.
If it does not have a SCV it is not compatible with that distributor.
Do your engine a favor & junk the loadamatic & install a decent distributor, even if it is a 68 distributor with points.
Go with a DS11 or a HEI with a carburetor without a SCV.

This post was for people interested in Ford Six information.
The Famous Ford Tuner Les Ritchey tuned loadomatic distributors and published the specifications.
If the average non-mechanic type person has an early six with a 1/4" drive oil pump they are pretty much stuck with the loadomatic.
Les Ritchey set records with a Y-Block.
The Ford 144-170-200 six was not the first Ford engine to run a loadomatic carb and distributor.
Below photo is the famous Ford tuner Les Ritchey
Les Ritchey.JPG

Last edited:
The famous Ford tuner Les Ritchey's Ford six loadomatc tuning specifications.
In 1956 Les Ritchey turned his 1956 Fairlane into a dragstrip terror, winning 31 Eliminator titles on the west Coast that season. Ritchey was so successful at squeezing every ounce of power out of the Y-block Ford V8 that Rod and Custom ran a series of articles showing Ritchey's techniques to fledgling drag racers using Ford products.
Les Richey loadomatic tuning.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you for posting all this Load O Matic tuning info 78_200_C4, it’s very hard to find that info now days. Yes, Les Ritchey was a great Ford Tuner my uncle's shop was very close by to his shop and he knew him very well, sadly I didn’t get the chance to meet him before he passed away.

All you are getting is a distributor with just an advance curve for WOT power. The advantage of the vacuum advance is eliminated.
Thus poor fuel mileage.
Its like a DS11 or HEI with the vacuum advance disconnected.
Most of the pre-62 engines high performance engines depended on mechanical advance only.
This is just a history lesson for what was available in that era.

Last edited:
All you are getting is a distributor with just an advance curve for WOT power. The advantage of the vacuum advance is eliminated.
Thus poor fuel mileage.
Its like a DS11 or HEI with the vacuum advance disconnected.
Most of the pre-62 engines high performance engines depended on mechanical advance only.
This is just a history lesson for what was available in that that era.
Les Ritchey's venturi vacuum advance curve has nothing to do with disabling the loadomatic manifold vacuum advance.
That would be a carburetor modification not a distributor mod.

Thank you for posting all this Load O Matic tuning info 78_200_C4, it’s very hard to find that info now days. Yes, Les Ritchey was a great Ford Tuner my uncle's shop was very close by to his shop and he knew him very well, sadly I didn’t get the chance to meet him before he passed away.
I wish I had known Les or someone like him.

If you want a real distributor contact me.

Back