Mustang Monthly article on Alum hean in stall.

FalconSedanDelivery":14ydgyqw said:
I'm sure it will be a good read , just was trying to save you Time and Money , ttyl

I know, :beer: I was just trying to use stuff I had. I think I will order my 4bbl today a 570 or 600 with vac secondaries. Should still be a good story. Hope most people like it. Like I said all the guys at the office/shop really liked it. They did not care what HP gains I made. you just do not see many I6 anymore.

The Edelbrock requires less maintenance, but is a real problem to tune.
The holley has 10 times the adjustment features if you know how to do them.
Out of the box it still needs many options to get it to be proper for your engine.
Even using a wideband A/F diagnostic tool it will require many hours of testing.
This carburetor needs some metering block mods to get the best performance.
Holley needs to do these mods to get this carb up to date.
The article should still be great, cause the car is restored to perfection.
The next dyno run will be the result of the lessons learned from the first run.

I dunno, Bill. I think the Edelbrock is an easy tune. You can pull the lid to change all four jets without losing a drop of fuel. The primary metering rods and springs are a two minute swap if you need to make a change. Each version has a kit that includes springs, rods and jets that will move you thru pretty wide range of operating conditions and you can adjust from there if you need to.

Loads easier than the Holley if you ask me.

For all out Power , a Holley is my pick , BUT this is NOT that deal , I have no problem tuning Elds ( or think its harder )but like anything if Holleys are what you work on then its a challenge , also they are much more compact , ( around the front and back ) which helps with fitment , Id run a 1406

MustangSix":wg7fybjz said:
I dunno, Bill. I think the Edelbrock is an easy tune. You can pull the lid to change all four jets without losing a drop of fuel. The primary metering rods and springs are a two minute swap if you need to make a change. Each version has a kit that includes springs, rods and jets that will move you thru pretty wide range of operating conditions and you can adjust from there if you need to.

Loads easier than the Holley if you ask me.
Jack yes & no. On my Holleys I have bowls that have a removable plug at the bottom of the bowl, so all I need is to remove the plug & use a Holley jet screwdriver to change the main jets.
HolleyCarbs005Custom.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/ ... Custom.jpg
On a 4 bbl edelbrock the secondary velocity valve has no adjustment unless you go to the AVS.
On the Holley with a quick spring cover for the seconderies all that is needed is remove the cap & install a lighter spring.
With the 6 cylinder engine the velocity valve may only open part of the way because of low air flow. To adjust his you would have to lighter the counter weight & hope you made the correct decision.
Yes the metering rods are real easy to change & you don't have to worry about blown power valves. But to change jets it takes a lot longer to change than the Holley.
The key deal for the Holleys is once you have the correct main jet & the correct jet for the pvcr all you need to do is change the main jets to either richen up on lean out.
Always remember in a moving carbureted vehicle the liquid fuel always moves to the back of the manifold. If I make a change I will richen the primary & or lean the secondary to compensate.
That's why a dyno A/f is not always the real reading. Bill

Well I installed the T5 what a difference. It no longer bogs when I floor. I really can not wait till I get the engine dialed in. DO not forget the article will be in next months Mustang Monthly.

I have been waiting to read the article on this for some time- now I can hardly wait for my next issue of MM (between MM and the MCA mag and Car & Driver there is always something interesting to read).

If and when you do get the numbers you really want, you should send the dyno results to MM- I bet they'd put it in a future issue as a follow-up!

Varilux":1ekdq22e said:
I have been waiting to read the article on this for some time- now I can hardly wait for my next issue of MM (between MM and the MCA mag and Car & Driver there is always something interesting to read).

If and when you do get the numbers you really want, you should send the dyno results to MM- I bet they'd put it in a future issue as a follow-up!

They are going to update there site and FB with the updates. We are going to dyno with the T5 and Thursday. I still have to degree the cam and buy a 4bbl carb. MY compression with be low until I rebuild the bottom end. But I still might turbo it also.

"...Next month/issues...."
"...next months Mustang Monthly."
Sounds like the October issue of Mustang Monthly?

/OR/

is it September?

Well we did another dyno run the other day with the T5 installed. It made 15 HP and 20 TQ peak. It made a little I am really happy with that improvement. This was with a 4cyl T5. Hopefully with a bigger carb and degreeing the cam with add a few more ponies. I know I need to raise the C/R to 10 instead of about 8.5 to get all I can out of the head. I really hope everybody enjoys the article even through I did not get the max out of the head. But I can build on what I have.

At least you saw a decent increase in HP & Torque.
Every little bit helps.
From my observation with the lack of carburation & compression ratio, you are leaving 45 HP on the table.
However the article will be very informative.
Its a beautiful car & you can build from your results.
I know you can't publish the #'s, but I would guess 165 HP area. Am I close?????? Bill

The October issue is out hopefully everybody enjoys the article. They will be doing another story in the mag about the T5 and dyno. I will be ordering a 4bbl and degreeing the cam. We will dyno again.

I just looked at the article. They did real well by you and the new engine mods look great. Numbers are good too.

Now get ready for the "well-informed" comments from readers next month or so about how you were wasting time AND money on a fool's errand. **laughs fiendishly**

I would have loved a big honkin' pic of the finished engine all dressed up for the dance. Good work, you guys.

ludwig":1gaybnr2 said:
I just looked at the article. They did real well by you and the new engine mods look great. Numbers are good too.

Now get ready for the "well-informed" comments from readers next month or so about how you were wasting time AND money on a fool's errand. **laughs fiendishly**

I would have loved a big honkin' pic of the finished engine all dressed up for the dance. Good work, you guys.

Thanks, Mustang Monthly will keep letting me use there dyno as I change things( check the cam degree and adding a 4bbl. :beer: I really wish we would have hit the 150 mark. All the tech guys from the other Magazines( Super Chevy, Mopar Muscle, MMF and 5.0 mustang) all liked the engine. I know with some playing with things I will get it where I want to be at. The lower C/R is killing it also some at 8.5-9. The car is a blast to drive so I it was well worth it. Plus it looks really cool.

I saw the article and was very impressed with the build. Good work! I wonder if going to an EDIS ignition would make much of a difference.

I'd love to drive down sometime and take a look. Or you drive up here. I'm just off 417 a couple of miles north of 528.

MustangSix":2fsnktn7 said:
I saw the article and was very impressed with the build. Good work! I wonder if going to an EDIS ignition would make much of a difference.

I'd love to drive down sometime and take a look. Or you drive up here. I'm just off 417 a couple of miles north of 528.

I work in Orlando Kirkman and Vineland. I could drive to work one day and you could come by the station.

Back