Never took physics so quick question.

Anlushac11

1K+
VIP
If I run twin turbos and both are set at 8lbs pressure and both feed into a Y tube for single inlet intercooler what will the pressure be at the intercooler?

I know pressure at the throttle body inlet will depend on how much pressure drop through the intercooler but not sure if pressure doubles where two turbos pump into one pipe.

I plan on running a blow off valve on intake side to control pressure and prevent intake side damage.

I would guess 8 lbs. Loss would depend on restriction of the intercooler and air consumption. Things like this make my head hurt.

Fred

It seems logical to me that twin turbos would spool up faster due to smaller and lighter impeller and that turbo lag would be reduced due to two turbos building boost instead of one?

That's the theory. The lower inertia of the smaller turbos should allow them to reach the 8PSI boost more quickly. However, each of the turbos only has half the energy causing it to spool that you'd have if all the exhaust were operating on a single larger turbo. So the spool time may not be all that quicker, it could even be slower depending on the inertial mass and radius of gyration (don't even ask) of the turbos involved. Either way I would expect the gains (or losses) to be pretty minimal and not even noticable on the street.

Here's something to think about. Look at a racing bicycle, they use large tires and wheels - would they be faster if they used, let's say 10" instead of the 28"? It would be lighter.

drag-200stang":3pkyvuhw said:
Here's something to think about. Look at a racing bicycle, they use large tires and wheels - would they be faster if they used, let's say 10" instead of the 28"? It would be lighter.

Seems you would need some serious gear reduction or a Superhero to pedal fast enough to spin the tires fast enough to get to the needed speed.

I thought they used tall tires for energy conservation not for acceleration.

Depends on where the wastegate refrence point is located. If the ref point is before the IC, then the pressure would be 8PSI before the IC. Which means you will have some losses in the IC, so the pressure going in to the motor would be less then 8 psi ( would depend on the IC and piping). If the ref point is after the IC, then the inlet pressure would be the wastegate setting plus the losses in the IC and piping ( so 8+2+1=11 just made up #'s). But it all comes down to the boosted ref point and the IC and piping losses.

I was wanting to put the blow off valve on intake side after intercooler and before throttle body.

I will still have a wastegate on the exhaust side.

Anlushac11":3kqn3vp7 said:
I was wanting to put the blow off valve on intake side after intercooler and before throttle body.

That where I would put it, but you could also put a second pressure gauge with the ref point on the compressor house side to see what the pressure drop would be across the IC. Just an idea. The name of the game is efficiency. :D

Back