New carb adaptors for the Aussie 250/2V

CobraSix

2K+
VIP
Not cutting Mike here, but I found some Carb adaptors for the Aussie 250/2V.

If you go to Mr. Gasket, they have carb adaptors that will fit the Aussie head. basically, their adaptors for the Rochester 2V carbs will fit the Aussie Stromberg base. I just test fit the 4V adaptor (#1933) and it fits perfect. The carb studs will need to be replaced to shorter ones because I think they will fit the 4V's butterfly's, but other wise...

I'm thinking of opening up the Aussie carb intake to meet the same size as the adaptor. I'll take some pictures later so you can see what I mean.

This basically opens up the use of Holley 2,3,4V carbs, Spread bores, and the dominator series carbs without chopping the intake up. One thing that will still need to be tested is the height. It is about 1/2" taller then teh Redline adaptor Mike sells. I should be able to test fit next week.

Slade

BTW, for the newbies, my "Call me Mister Gasket" has no relation to the company "Mr. Gasket".

Here are the pictures:

#1 shows how the current studs may interfere with the butterfly valves:

mrgadaptor1.jpg

#2 Shows the height. About 1/2" taller then the Redline Holley 2V adaptor

mrgadaptor2.jpg

#3 Shows where I think I should open up the intake.

mrgadaptor3.jpg

Opinions?

Slade

More of a Weeds or SR type thing, but I'm less than sold on that internal profile. Looks like it would generate counterproductive turbulence. You want the turbulent flow 'bout where it strikes the ridges, not before it gets inside.

Addo,

Good point. I saw that too. I'm thinking of grinding down that hard edge and tapering it so that it has a smooth transition all the way to the intake manifold.

Is there any detriment to getting ride of those two barrell openings on the intake manifold and just having a larger open area?

Slade

I really wish I had pics of a GM two barrel manifold. The 2V is designed for a synchronous setup, the GM is designed for progressive actuation (on a Varajet, no less). The difference is the way the carb holes and plenum volume are offset to the runners.

Correspondingly, with a 4V carb (assumed two progressive) there could be problems with uneven mixture distribution as the secondaries came in. A session with "Colortune" plugs would reveal any funny business there. It'd be a shame to sink money into a manifold, then find it was ruined.

The cost of modding it and test/tune would go well towards a custom multi-point injection setup. At least then fuelling can be controlled, plus you are closer to forced induction if desired. The only reason EFI 2V was not a goer here, was that the crossflow rendered it obsolete. But if you're set on the pre-crossflow, it may be just what the doctor ordered.

Adam.

I will probably go fuel injection (either TBI or MPFI) at some point in the next year or so. Gotta save up some money for the parts. I'm looking at the feasibility of adding injectors to the intake manifold. Though with all the recent news of the xflow conversion, I'm wondering if I'm starting to bark up the wrong tree.

OH well...

I think if I modify the adaptor some, it should help the turbulence some. The adaptor was only like $17.

Slade

Well, I'm not trying to lead you up the garden path or anything; I have no vested interest other than a tendancy to speak my mind ;) . And it's not a hugely valuable part to risk - compared to the damage you can do, say to a house, when playing "What if..."

Why not get the head going with your choice of 2V carb, have it sorted well, and see what pans out? The Colortune kit was standard fare for tri-carb setups, as it was the best way to allow for fuelling/port idiosyncrasies to be exposed. It still has merit in a 4V type conversion, even if for peace of mind.

The minute one of the guys here shows the OHC can work in an early body, it's all happening with those motors. Korrupt has got an aftermarket computer basically sorted for the DOHC VCT turbo, so anything less is now possible too!

Cheers, Adam.

Adam,

I know it's not hugely valuable, that's why I'm not worried about handing it over to the Hackmeister (Al) for some work. I'm hoping we can come up with something with him for a multiport injectiong for the 2V head.

Slade

Back