New DSII

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
While we were at the PRI convertion, we talked with the owner of Performance Distributors, and were informed of the new products they are releasing. They believe some hard core Ford guys won't install the DUI dizzy, simply because they see it as a Chevy part, while others prefer an original Ford type distributor. Therefore they developed an upgraded version of the DSII and a new ingnition box with a custom wirring harness.
The Ford Duraspark we offer is a high performance unit for those who want a completely stock appearing or factory style electronic distributor. Each Duraspark Electronic Distributor is custom calibrated on a distributor machine and blueprinted for your Ford engine to provide maximum power, torque and instant throttle response. We tune the centrifugal advance using information about the vehicle and engine such as cam duration & lift, carburetor size, compression ratio, vehicle weight and octane of fuel. A super smooth advance curve assures excellent performance and mileage. The vacuum advance is calibrated for maximum fuel economy and light throttle ping is eliminated. Our Duraspark Distributor can be used for a number of applications from everyday street use to all out racing. The distributor is capable of 10,000 rpms with our Dyna-Module and Inferno Coil kit. It will work with other modules and coils, but rpm ability is not guaranteed. Comes with a brass terminal cap and rotor in your choice of blue or red.
They also removed the stock 1" bushing at the top of the shaft, modified the housing, and installed a full length 6" brass bushing for optimum durability and performance.
Our Dyna-Module and Inferno Coil Kit for the Ford Duraspark Distributor is designed for street and racing applications. The coil and module are matched to the distributor to provide a reliable, yet "seat of the pants" performance difference in your Ford engine. The Dyna-Module and Inferno Coil allow spark plug gaps to be opened up to .055" and provides serious firepower up to a maximum of 10,000 rpms! For street applications, the enclosed gold resistor must be used which will limit maximum rpms to 6500. The resistor is used as a precautionary measure to protect the coil and module from premature failure on long periods of running time. Even with the resistor in the system, the firepower from this kit is still much hotter than stock from idle to 6500. For all out racing applications, the gold resistor is not utilized, allowing the system to produce an intense spark up to 10,000 rpms. The kit includes all wiring with easy to follow instructions.
35720.jpg
durasparkmodcoilkit.jpg

I'm not sure if I understood him correctly, but I think the new ingition box works with a stock dizzy too, replacing the more expensive MSD. I sent them an e-mail earlier today to clear things up and am waiting for their reply. The dizzy sells for $265. The ignition box, coil, harness, and resistor are $165. They are also working on a Racing DUI for the small six, and offer a new 18V set up reguator.
NEW! VIP (Voltage Intensive Power) 18 Volt Step Up Regulator for the Racing DUI Distributor! Works with any 12 volt battery to increase the voltage output to 18 Volts! The VIP Regulator allows you to open your spark plug gaps to an astounding .075"! This will provide a more powerful burn of the fuel mixture on each piston stroke. Because the VIP allows for more efficiency in the combustion process, you will be able to run a richer fuel mixture which makes more horsepower. In our circle track test car, which ran a 2 barrel carburetor, we were able to go from .076 jets up to .087 jets!
The VIP Regulator should only be run with our Racing DUI Coil and Dyna Module (unless you have an ignition that can withstand 18 volts). It will mount in any position and is vibration proof. SPECIFICATIONS: Weight = 1 lb, Dimensions: Length = 3", Width = 2", Height = 2"

mini-vip1.jpg

These products are so new, that they don't list them on their website. However, they will be available on the Classic Inlines website by the end of next week.

We talked with quite a few other manufacturers, which we all agreed, seem to be taking more notice of the inline market. Some suppliers wouldn't give us two minutes a couple years ago, but spent a hour or two with us this year. For example, I spent two hours talking with the Sales Manager from Comp Cams. We also had a couple guys from NASCAR visit our booth (more than once), and a couple photographers (one from Primeda and one from another publishing firm). Wilson manifolds will be giving us bids on a couple intake manifolds, for the new aluminum heads, and another company is quoting a cast turbo exhaust manifold. All in all, the show was a big success for us, and we should see several new parts as a result. ;)

this is incredible and i cant wait to see how well the new racing DUI dizzy works

things sure r looking up for us with the I6's and i thank u very much for making this all possible

AzCoupe":1g9zcdot said:
We talked with quite a few other manufacturers, which we all agreed, seem to be taking more notice of the inline market. Some suppliers wouldn't give us two minutes a couple years ago, but spent a hour or two with us this year. For example, I spent two hours talking with the Sales Manager from Comp Cams. We also had a couple guys from NASCAR visit our booth (more than once), and a couple photographers (one from Primeda and one from another publishing firm). Wilson manifolds will be giving us bids on a couple intake manifolds, for the new aluminum heads, and another company is quoting a cast turbo exhaust manifold. All in all, the show was a big success for us, and we should see several new parts as a result. ;)

This is also great news!!!

AZ also forgot to mention that we are persuing leads on a performance balancer and timing chain for the 250.Also I got to meet Glenn Treadwell on thursday and he was impressed with the head for the small six :LOL:

Mike, the new DSII looks good, but the DUI is so much easier to calibrate an advance curve for, cause everything is on top.

But the new DSII has really been beefed up in bearing support in the housing which is a great improvement. I wonder if these old remanufactured DS's flex at the distributor gear & are part of the failures of camshaft & distributor gear wear??

Keep up the good work, Will

82F100":4b30bq4o said:
AZ also forgot to mention that we are persuing leads on a performance balancer and timing chain for the 250.Also I got to meet Glenn Treadwell on thursday and he was impressed with the head for the small six :LOL:

YES !!!

"and another company is quoting a cast turbo exhaust manifold."

Mmmm. I'll have to add that to my wishlist crate motor from you Mike. 8)

rbohm":vtvur0ho said:
8) the ignition box is patterend after the chrysler box. a very good design.

Looks like an exact copy.

It IS a good design, I used the factory "orange" box to fire off a 570 HP Chrysler 446" all the way to 6400 RPMs with no problems. Also....a very easy part to find at auto parts stores (if you need one to get home)

I wonder if the cost is justified for the coil, wiring and resistor. I am thinking a factory Chrysler ballast resitor could be used.

I also do NOT trust coil designs from unproven sources...I would use the MSD Blaster 2 IMHO...

what about getting a nice TFI dizzy for the sixes? you can use a 2.3L body, standard 6cyl cap/rotor. aoo you need is a custom shaft (or a slightly modded 2.3L one) I thought MSD was making a billet one for those motors?

Linc's 200":plrwi6io said:
rbohm":plrwi6io said:
8) the ignition box is patterend after the chrysler box. a very good design.

Looks like an exact copy.

It IS a good design, I used the factory "orange" box to fire off a 570 HP Chrysler 446" all the way to 6400 RPMs with no problems. Also....a very easy part to find at auto parts stores (if you need one to get home)

I wonder if the cost is justified for the coil, wiring and resistor. I am thinking a factory Chrysler ballast resitor could be used.

I also do NOT trust coil designs from unproven sources...I would use the MSD Blaster 2 IMHO...

8) i am using a ds2 dist with the orange chrysler box and a blaster 3 coil in my 66 falcon.

Actually I was thinking along the lines of actual timing gears, like the kits you can get for many V8s & the 240/300 come with stock. Don't really have any big plans for some, was just cirious.
Edwin

wsa111":1zxvoq3o said:
I wonder if these old remanufactured DS's flex at the distributor gear & are part of the failures of camshaft & distributor gear wear??

You just might be onto something, Will.

On a "rebuilt" DS2 I recently took apart (never trust any vendor), the bearing just fell out the moment I removed the shaft.

an additional bearing on the lower end of the dizzy housing, turned from brass or even polyoxymethylene would be a good idea in any case, certainly.

:D Quite a few years ago,when I had a 74 F100 with a 302 in it,a friend gave me a complete DS2 setup free.The shaft felt a little gritty when I turned it.So I took it apart and replaced the upper bushing and had a custom bushing turned for the lower end at the local Votech school.Smoothed up everything,AND eliminated some wiggle at the lower end.
Leo

AzCoupe":21hrv00d said:
While we were at the PRI convertion, we talked with the owner of Performance Distributors, and were informed of the new products they are releasing. They believe some hard core Ford guys won't install the DUI dizzy, simply because they see it as a Chevy part, while others prefer an original Ford type distributor. Therefore they developed an upgraded version of the DSII and a new ingnition box with a custom wirring harness.

I don't think I'm what you'd call a hard core Ford guy, but I am one of those who would rather stay with the DSII. Were you able to determine if PRI is going to make this "New DSII" available for our small block I6's. I'm currently running an unmodified DSII from an '81 and know I'm now to the point of needing to upgrade.

mustang652":1nqyw3fq said:
I don't think I'm what you'd call a hard core Ford guy, but I am one of those who would rather stay with the DSII. Were you able to determine if PRI is going to make this "New DSII" available for our small block I6's. I'm currently running an unmodified DSII from an '81 and know I'm now to the point of needing to upgrade.
It was here a while back, guys are already running them.
If you're running well I can't see spending $250 unless you have lots of cash.

Back