new guy needs engine ID and shopping list... pic added!!!

A

Anonymous

hey folks!

new to the I6/Mustang scene... not new to turning wrenches.

this is your chance to "break me in"

1965 stang NOM
block castings - D6DE 6015-AB 6AB

From reading, i believe it is a 250CI Engine partno ???
Any idea of years/cars this might be out of to help me at the parts counter? (you know AutoZone will ask)

now to the fun part... this puppy wont pull itself out of a wet paper bag in the power dept.... not yet anyway.

i am going to start with a basic tune-up.

not wanting to sink a lot of money right away but do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

The best thing you can do is pick up the The Ford Falcon Six Cylinder Performance Handbook. Even though its for the Falcon, they share the same family of motors (144/170/200/250). Tons of great advice, and its pretty much the starting point for everyone on this site.

Your standard basic fare: headers with Clifford port divider, 2bbl carb (I'd personally recommend a progressive), ignition upgrade (duraspark from later models/Pertronix/DUI from Inline Performance), a little more advance in the timing to wake it up. There's a variety of cams and rockers, plus Mike is developing the new head, due out around October, which will really wake these puppies up.

D6 tells us the motor was built in '76. More likely it was in a '77 model.

Start with tune-up.
Check that the timin is advancing when you hit the throttle.

The guys here will have tons of suggestions based on what type of carb an distributor you have. If you can gets some pics, if not describe what they look like.

They like the Duraspark II distributor. Given the vintage of your motor you may have a series I. The guys will have all the tips on whats needed to swap it over to a II - and probably know the gotchas that may happen with a I.
-But it's always possible that they used an older carb, dist. combo, and that may be part of the performance problem too - so describe what you see.

matt

Howdy LDGn63:

And welcome to the Forum.

The block casting "D6DE 6015-AB 6AB" is from 1976. This block casting code was used on both 200s and 250s from that year. The letter represents the decade, D = 1970s, the number represents the year of the engineering change, so D6 = 1976.

The next identification clue is for you to count the number of bolts holding on the water pump- 3 = 200, 4 = 250. Also, Starter mounted above the pan line = 200, below the pan line = 250.

A basic tuneup is always a good place to start. Assess what you have. Create a plan with a goal of what you want when you finish. Will this be a major rebuild, or minor? Head off? or bolt-on upgrades? What vehicle is it in? What trans? What do you know about the history of the engine? The more specific you can be the more helpful we can be.

FYI- If it is a complete '76 engine, it should have a large cap distributor, Duraspark II ignition system. It should have a Carter YF type carb. If it is a 250 If would be suffering from the altered/advanced cam timing, which Ford did to reduce emmissions/improve low rpm grunt/increase engine vacuum.

But most of all enjoy the journey.

Adios, David

thanks for the input guys.

starter is below oilpan gasket line and pump has 4 bolts.

i will start with bolt-ons as time/cash is limited at the moment.

i will try to snap some pix of it too.

did look at the dizy and it has points... old stuff i gather?
hopefully that is the root of the sluggishness.

i would definately be up for a 2 barrel carb and headers! (although it has a BRAND NEW exhaust system on it... (about 1" diameter pipe too) :shock:

69Falcon":rx5ytvz1 said:
The best thing you can do is pick up the The Ford Falcon Six Cylinder Performance Handbook. Even though its for the Falcon, they share the same family of motors (144/170/200/250). Tons of great advice, and its pretty much the starting point for everyone on this site.

Your standard basic fare: headers with Clifford port divider, 2bbl carb (I'd personally recommend a progressive), ignition upgrade (duraspark from later models/Pertronix/DUI from Inline Performance), a little more advance in the timing to wake it up. There's a variety of cams and rockers, plus Mike is developing the new head, due out around October, which will really wake these puppies up.

thanks for the ref to the book....
i just went and bought it online from the link!

a guide is good to have! thanks!

timing was 6* advanced to about 10* on acceleration.
it is points style, not duraspark II

the intake has a bunch of emissions looking stuff hanging off of it (most is blocked or cut off.

altered cam timing? hmmmm that kinda sux...

i'll try to post pix for ref.

178528101.jpg
the carbage

Back