New valve springs in (and electric fuel pump)

Leaking rings = hissing oil filler

leaking valves = hissing intake or exhaust

leaking gasket = bubbling radiator

Cracked block = any of the above :shock:

:shock: hey! You might be right!!! I hadn't thought about that. If the valves weren't fully seated, the pressure could squeeze past the valve head and UP the stem, past the stem seal and VIOLA! Pressure out the filler!!

that make me very excited! Odd I know to be excited that I might have badly seating valves, but it's better than bad rings!! That would also explain why i burn no oil right?!!

can i use a few more !!!!! ? :LOL:

I think I'll hook the pressure back up and remove the rocker arms on the #1 valves all together. That way, I'm 100% sure there is no spring pressure holding them open.

Hey Jack, If the block were cracked, wouldn't I be having more symptoms like leakage, overheating, oily water or watery oil, etc?

I would say forget the valve stem hipothesis. Air is like water in that it takes the path of least resistance. So if it gets past a valve head it'll go out the carb or the exhaust rather than squeezing past the valve stem. I suspect the rings. Maybe you're just not driving it enough to notice the small amount of oil consumption on 3 cylinders. How many miles since it was built? could the rings just not be fully seated yet?

hmm...that's probably a fair hopthesis. The motor has less than 1000 miles on it since the complete rebuild. How long to rings take to seat fully? Wet test later tonight. I do drive it every day though...just not too far.

Depending on ring material, it could take 1000 miles or more to fully seat.

I've sworn off of plain iron rings. With a very fine finish on the bores, a set of moly rings seats almost immediately.

A set of chrome rings might last forever but take 5000 miles to fully seat.

:cry: wet test = higher compression

I hate to say it, but i don't remember which rings I put in!! I think they were chrome.

If it were the rings not seating, wouldn't it be more across the board low readings instead of just 3 cylinders?

So, do I just watch and wait? Should I use an oil additive?

I would run it a while longer just to see what happens in the next 500 miles (only two tanks of gas).

If you've been really babying it, try loading it harder. Make it pull hard, but not to redline. Just accellerate thru the gears at wot without abusing it. That extra cylinder pressure should help seat the rings too.

Back