NEWBIE! I need help indentifying a 250ci I-6 motor.

Straight6Mafia

Hey all, I'm currently restoring a 1966 Ford Bronco. This past weekend I finished up the majority of my frame/chassis and I'm ready to rebuild the motor and transmission. Originally this bronco had a 170ci I-6 with a 3 speed transmission. I picked up a '66 model 200ci I-6 a few months back that wasn't in the best of shape but I only paid $100 for it. Now that I'm thinking, I wouldn't mind having an overdrive gear since I plan on pushing 33"-35" tires. This bronco will be a street queen and will rarely see trails, at least not for a few months. Anyways, I was doing research and it seems as if there aren't many OD options for a 200ci I-6 so I started looking for a 250ci I-6 and I happened to come across one for $225 but it's 3 hours away from me (not a bad drive). I asked the seller to send me pictures, he did. I noticed that the intake manifold and exhaust manifold were both on the left (driver) side of the motor. It's a 1978 model 250ci I-6, I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not. I have no knowledge about Ford motors but I thought the exhaust and intake were all right (passenger) side exit on these small online 6s? I would love to pick up this motor and mate it to a NV3550 if possible but I'm not sure if this will work correctly since the exhaust and intake are driver side mounted. Any help? If possible I would like to post the pictures on this page but I'm not sure how. Any help would be appreciated. I wouldn't even mind keeping my 200ci I-6 and bolting the 250ci I-6 head onto that block.

the intake and exhaust should be on the passenger side of the engine, just like the rest of the small six line up. as for identifying a 250, first look at the water pump, if it has four bolts, its a 250, three indicates a 144-200. if you can look at the rear of the engine, and the bolt pattern for the bell housing looks like the 289/302, then you have a 250. if the starter mount is below the oil pan rail, and oyu have four bolts holding the water pump on, then you have a 250. three bolts again would indicate a 3.3l.

I have pictures but I'm not sure how to attach them. I told the seller that I believe that it was a Chevy online 6 but he disagreed and told me that he knows what he has.

Do you have photo bucket? That's the only way I have been able to show pics. But, if the intake on that thing detaches and it's on the drivers side, it's not a ford.

Thanks for the help, guys. Discussion closed. Haha. I was hoping it was like some Aussie 250ci 2v head for something unique. Oh well.

The 250 and NV is nice for a Bronco but 33-35 is a lot of tire.
A lot of people can't identify a 250 and often don't know what they have but usually a 200. Also try car-parts.com I think it is.

I have a friend with a 200ci/NP435 in his early bronco who's pushing 35s but its just a toy. I don't think he drives it on the road. I'll more than likely just run 33" tires. I'm thinking with the correct axle gearing that 33s or 35s won't be too big of a problem. I had a Toyota pickup with a 2.2L 4cyl and 5 speed manual transmission pushing 38" tires with 4.56 gears and it wasn't bad at all. I would easily do 75mph down the highway although it took me a while to reach that speed LOL!

Back