No offence just young curiosity

Yes, riceboys are dumbasses. But I'm starting to realize that we're not the only ones that can't stand their crap. Its not just us REAL car guys vs. the ricers, its ALL NORMAL PEOPLE vs. the ricers. Just last night a girl at work was telling me how she hates people that put rims and bodykits on cars without doing anything to affect performance(positively anyway). She also mentioned how every dumbass has to drive a Civic, and that its getting old. This coming from a girl who drives a Corolla and couldn't care less about cars.
And have you ever heard of someone complimenting a ricer on their car when they're pumping gas? Probably not. But how many times has it happened to you? :D I've had several people who wouldn't normally take time to look at a car compliment my '66. They won't even notice a "Hooked up" Civic unless they were noticing how ridiculous it looks.
So take comfort in the fact that the entire world is laughing at these idiots and its not just us vs. them. ;)

There's a hilarious post in the Taurus Car Club of America website. You can find it in the board archives; under "Racing", and the name of it is:

"The mis-education of another poser rice-boy" and it's a riot!

Let me know if you can't find it; it's at the very bottom of the first page under "Racing". I'd post the URL if I knew how... :D

I went looking and couldn't find anything like that in "racing"

To post the URL, just copy what's in the "address" line of your browser into the e-mail. That's the easiest.

Xecute,

I remember a really nice solution to improve the rod ratio on the Ford 221 engine was to use the 188 rods with custom pistons.
The funny thing around here is that the 4 banger FWD crowd needs to use turbo and/or nitrous to beat the inline sixes. A hot running NA 4 banger is no match for the mighty 221 SP engine :eek:
I crashed my car while racing against a small Fiat with 2 DCOE carbs and all the racing hardware. My car was stock with the exception of the carb and the 6-into-2 headers. It took him three complete blocks to match my speed.

Lest I be the voice of something other than performance, I apologize in advance, but....

I've had almost 2 dozen cars in my life, including half a dozen ricers. Don't get the idea that I don't like them: I still ride my Honda 750 after 25 years: but...I have never seen the high side of 100,000 miles with a Honda or Toyota or Datsun/Nissan without seeing the inside of the engine first.

Then there's my Fords - 200CID/200,000 mi before teardown: 390 CID still going strong at 225,000 and the Windsor 351 at 130K. It's really hard to talk down to that!

Sometimes "performance" means being able to turn the key and go somewhere today instead of working on it...again....

i'm a die-hard ford fan, no doubt. but i know that hondas are probably the most reliable cars & bikes made. my mom had a '84 accord that had 200,000 miles on it before it crapped. now, we were hard as hell on it. three different drivers, all different driving styles. it was rear ended by an '84 suburban 4x4 and "totalled" by the insurance co. we kept it and got another 70,000 out of it before the motor went. she's got an '87 now & it runs fine with 90,000. my dads honda bike is always running, too. harleys are nothing compared to the reliability of the hondas. "no wing, no prayer". no experience with any other ricers, though. but my buick had almost 400,000 on it (documented,really!) before it started knocking. now thats reliable.

If were talking mileage now, my 98 F150 has 104,000 miles on it and has never been worked on for anything except the normal spark plugs, oil change, and tires.(Knock on wood). My dads 98 Dodge Ram 1500 has about 140,000 on it and has never seen the shop, and neither has my moms 95 explorer with 130,00 on it.

Back to the original question posed by gag sta 858; Isn't the I6 inherently easier to balance than a V-6, and especially an inline 4? I read somewhere, in one of my more ancient texts, that this is the case.
But now I can't find the article.

Please comment on what I'm about to say, as I'm doing this from memory, and am not sure it's accurate.

I6 was the logical extension of I4; the engine used in Ford T's and A's.
This engine was easier to balance than a vee type 6, and fit the styling of the turn of the century cars better, being tall, long and narrow. The I6 doesn't have the same pronounced "Rocking couple" vibration that plagues the I4, and inherently is better balanced than the V-6.

The only drawback, from a performance standpoint, is the intake manifolding of an I6. If a single carb is used, the runners to the end cylinders are much longer than the center two cylinder runners. This is easily remedied by modern technology, as a tuned runner manifold with Multi-port Injection will eliminate cylinder to cylinder Air/Fuel variations.
Multiple carb set-ups will also take care of this, however they must be carefully tuned by a knowledgeable person.

Hope that helps.

If your talking mileage, there's a 94 Tempo running around with 160K that still runs like a top. My 88 Tempo has 112K and the most major thing that's been done to it was a TPS and a transmission line. My 89 Topaz seems to be the black sheep. 137K when I got her, the gasket leaked on the tranny, the gas tank leaked, the 02 sensor was bad, the exaust was almost rotted off, and it needed tires.

My Topaz runs great, I can regularly atleast stand toe to to with any stock 4 banger out there. I win about as often as I lose. I choose my battles wisely. I choose not to face anything that I know can hand me mine hands down. Not bad for a stock beater that I paid $200 for and was supposed to be a parts car.

The point to all of this is *beats the drum* Routine Maintance & alittle TLC. It's prove that no matter the make or model, routine maintance & TLC will greatly increase the lifespan. You can still take the car out and run the p*ss out of it. Just take care of it & it will take care of you.

*steps down and yelds the soap box*

this discussion is nice and all but could sum 1 chip into the original question?

gagsta_858":3qyarbpi said:
I was wondering if ricers (with 4 bangers) can pull close to 200 hp with simple mods and V6 can have 150 hp stock so why is the I6 struggling? And ofcourse their are benefits to this powerplant but can someone please point them out to this misguided blind youth. any input is welcome

thanks to all that did :D

Those modern ricers have:
multi-port fuel injection
distributorless ignitions with crank triggers
closed loop control of spark advance and fuel curves
dual overhead camshafts
variable valve timing
variable intake tract lengths
etc. etc.

You cannot hope to compare the specific power output of a 43 year old intentionally low-tech OHV engine design running on a carb and a centrifugal/vacuum distributor to the current state of the art like a Honda v-tech.

If you want to see moden I6 engines comparable in design and performance to the rice rockets, look at the Aussie Fords or the BMWs. Test drive an M3 or better yet an M roadster and you'll never be impressed by a ricer again.

BTW I recognize the car in your signature pix as a Triumph something, but what? It looks like a Spit with a removable (?) hardtop and a very strange hood. Want to tell us what's under it?

StrangeRanger":3til9p43 said:
BTW I recognize the car in your signature pix as a Triumph something, but what? It looks like a Spit with a removable (?) hardtop and a very strange hood. Want to tell us what's under it?

actually thats not my car
the plan is that I buy a triumph GT6 with 2.0L I6
00B9L114607883A.jpg

and swap the engine with a 200 and the bonnet to a APAL bonnet

StrangeRanger":1rlfa9lx said:
What does the GT6 engine weigh? If the 200 is a lot more it might really upset the balance of the car. Now a 2.3 turbo... :eek:

well I heard that the GT6 weighs in at 460 lbs

mind you that people have stuffed chevy 350's into them

how much does a complete 200 weigh?

StrangeRanger":3im7plfa said:
You cannot hope to compare the specific power output of a 43 year old intentionally low-tech OHV engine design running on a carb and a centrifugal/vacuum distributor to the current state of the art like a Honda v-tech.

:LOL: I can compare how many car lengths I can smoke a V-tech with and without nitrous on my "low-tech OHV" six! :LOL:

Dan

Back