Oil Filters, increased capacity, Pricing, availability…

LaGrasta

2K+
VIP
standard capacity: FL1A
increased capacity: Motorcraft - FL299, AC - PF42, Carquest - 85773, Fram - PH977A, Napa - 1773, Purolator - L40017, Wix - 51773, Donaldsons - P550299
I spent a great deal of time yesterday looking for the best deal on the increased capacity oil filtiers. Aside from having a difficult time locating them, the best deal was a Wix for $8.50.
Napa had a great selection. Increased capacity filters for about $6. For their name regular capacity filters; only $2.59! $2.39 if you buy a dozen! At that price, it seems best to buy those and change frequently and scratch any benefits of extra capcity cooling that may or may not happen. Thoughts, other findings?

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/N ... (ProSelect)+-+Master+Pack[/b]

Howdy LaGrasta:

Here's my rationale.
*If you use Dino oil/non-synthetic, and are looking for a quicker winter warmup, and change oil and filter about every 3,000 miles or 6 months, I use the regular size filters.
*If you use a synthetic oil, do mostly warm weather driving, or are prone to running hot, or to using oil, and go 5,000 miles between changes, I choose the large capacity Wix.

The extra half quart capacity in the filter adds that much reserve reassurance, takes a little longer to get to operating and peak temps. The Synthetic oil is more resistant to heat breakdown and contaminations.

In truth, both are way better than the oil and filters from 40 years ago and both will meet your need. You will have to determine what your need is and what is worth it to you.

Hope that helps you decide.

Adios, David

What is the best brand filter to use so oil does not drain back in block when engine is shut off?I heard that one brand has a valve to prevent this .Anyone know which filter it is???thanks

It is nearly impossible to beat the good old FL1-A. I know guys running turbocharged outlaw cars and "true 10.5" cars making 1200 HP and the FL1-A does the task just fine.

Save the money and add a couple gallons of gas to your tank for free! :D

For Saltwaterfalcon - The Amsoil EaO oil filter line is unsurpassed in filtering ability and is designed to last 25000 miles or one year. It has that anti-drain valve you referred too. There are three sizes that fit the Ford sixes. All are 3.75" diameter.
EaO 42 3.92" L.... $15.10 retail
EaO 15 5.19" L.... $15.10
EaO 26 7.04"L.......$23.00
Here is some more info.
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eao.aspx

Most all oil ilters have an anti-drainback, even the FL1_a

Pur o lator PURE ONE PL30001 has a VERY good one

I still had one older Amsoil SDF-15 oil filter left that was originally destined for my Dodge 5.7 HEMI. It happens to fit the Ford sixes also.
So currently on my 170 engine is a Wix 51515 filter. I break out the Amsoil filter and alas, they are identical on the exterior except for the name brand. .
I always wondered who made the Amsoil filters. Not positive here as the link below suggests Baldwin does make the Amsoil line.

Here is an interesting link about filters. A lot of filters are recommended but only one line is not recommended. Sorry Fram fans.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfil ... html#sdf15

True a good filter. According to the study made by Purlator. Same as Purlator Pure One.

Back