Approved Vendor
Supporter 2018
Motorcraft FL-299
Fram PH977A
Napa 1773
Wix 51773
AC PF-42
Purolator L40017
All of the above hold 1/2 QT. more than the regular filter, resulting in a 5QT. oil change.

I think one of the great things abt these co.s is they have drainback models. The way the filters sit on the i6 helps me choose them instead. Capacity is nice too. Even the Amisol system is nother alternative remote, double if U want, etc).

Last edited:
I was watching "Engine Masters" on Youtube, and they were progressively removing oil out of an engine that was on a dyno and doing runs...

Interesting part starts around the 10 minute mark...but at the 12 min. mark things get super weird!

VR-1 is a valvoline I been lookin @ (10W 30 no 40?). Has the zinc but not sure bout the rest. Also...9 $ a qt ! sold as "race" oil...
whats da brad penn cost/qt?

15W50 Mobile 1. Plenty of zinc. $23 at Walmart on Rollback. 5 quart jug.
You only need 10W-30 on a well built engine.
I like Penn-Brand semi synthetic racing oil 10W-30. It has all the good additives, zinc, phosphorus & also has detergent for street driving.

Last edited:
15W50 Mobile 1. Plenty of zinc. $23 at Walmart on Rollback. 5 quart jug.
Nice - what other additives we need, any? In a more appropriate weight?
Thnx !

The manual of my 68 says to use 15W40, I also bought Mobile 1 15W50 (but haven't run it yet) because of availability and the zinc content for my flat tappet. It also consider changing to a lower grade oil to match the specification in the manual.

I also found the Brad Penn 15W40 synthetic and the Joe Gibbs HR5 15W40 synthetic, both high in zinc. Anyone any thoughts on these two in comparison?

10W 30 winter, 10W 40 summer or every 6 mo/3,500 mi. Needs zinc & phospohorus minimal I'd say. Can not B used w/a cat. Lookin 4 $3.50 - 5$ a qt...

may B dats a lill low for expectations? 8 bucks a qt? $35 one of those big jugs?
Still, what's the brad penn cost? 10? 12 (after shippin)?

"...Anyone any thoughts on these two..."
basically the same to me~

Last edited:
I run 5 quarts with a standard oil filter. The higher oil level (if that is a problem) should drop as the RPM increases. At say 4,400 rpm a extra 1/2 quart of oil might be a good thing (on a log head six which Engine Masters has not tested).

"...churning through oil..."
windage tray/baffles?
Too much oil over pressure engine, puke out onto driving surfaces'n vehicle?

General theory is fine for talk but practicable experience is what matters. No oil pukes out of my engine. I've always run 5 qts in log head 200 sixes for over 40 years. Not a single problem.

OK, kouwell~
thnx for post-back !

4 1/2 quarts may be good for a Sunday drive to church but when you rev that old Ford engine over 4.000 rpm four of those quarts of oil may be no longer be in the pan or the filter. The oil is spraying out all the bearing clearances and being pumped to the top end. Engine Masters did not test a small six so what they did means nothing practical experience wise.

I read this somewhere on a "24 hours of lemons post":
"If there are 6 quarts of oil in an I6, about 4 quarts are flying around the sump past 4000 rpm, and piston, head gasket and rod failure are more related to a steady rise in oil temperature from cavitation from a oil pickup sucking air than anything else.
In the early days of Aussie sedan racing, people were looking to having to run an oil cooler often looked at better sump windage trays and baffles and when they ran spark inducing 40 thou clearance windage trays, crank scrapers and baffles, they could loose 50 deg F oil temperature, more power, and a sudden reduction on engine scrappage. Ford Production race engineers cut a perspex window into the passanger firewall in 1972, and viewed the oil sump pickup via a glass plate in the sump. Much to their horror, they found that on a certain race track, the sump pickup on the Falcon sedan got air 50% of the time doing 90 mph average speed laps on a certain 3.8 mile circuit. Their engine scrappage rate was huge, and the key was to build sumps that ensured the pickup was always submerged."

Last edited:
Back