All Small Six Oil Pan Pick Up Problem for '83 200lm in '66 Bronco

This relates to all small sixes

Dr_Dan_WWW

Subscriber
Supporter 2021
I believe I need a new oil pan pick up for my 200lm rebuild. But part #D3BE-6622-AA is difficult to locate. I am asking for advice/solutions.

There are at least a couple of reasons I need a new pick up. First, the bracket is busted off that bolts to the main bearing stud (see photos). But I can weld it back if needed. Second, I've been reading the forums, tech archive, Matt Cox's book... and all say to replace the pick up when rebuilding. Reason for replacing is there may be gunk in the screen and tube that can become dislodged.

If I cannot find a new one (searching hasn't located one yet), then I am faced with welding and cleaning.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

BTW, the '83 200lm is from a Fairmont and going in my 66 Bronco. I have to use a '74 Bronco pan and pick up. Bronco pan is different from standard 200 pan.

Bronco 1983 engine oil pan pick up 1 IMG_7437.JPG

Bronco 1983 engine oil pan pick up 2 IMG_7438.JPG

Last edited:
I would think clean and weld is better than new as long as you weld it stronger than original. You wouldn't bother welding a new one to make it stronger. Solvent soak and a long flexible brush should make it clean as new or use draino (sodium hydroxide) to soak.

Providing it would clear, a couple of triangle gussets welded on the sides would help. it is a poor design as is. Too much flex a one point.

I hear you guys. Thanks. Yeah, after looking around it appears the number one cause of this bust is because someone hit a rock or the real dumb thing is when people jack up the car using the oil pan. Not smart.

I will probably just weld it. But I have to get the correct depth, being careful to not let it hang too deep/or too shallow in the pan.

Do you have a spring lift? The stock pan will be close to the front diff without taller springs.

X2 yes I have seen lots of these broken mounting brackets without any hint of Oil Pan damage, on many different size engines, and in different brands. In my OPIN the cause is the length of these extra long Oil Pickup Tube's added with engine or other chassis vibration's over time that work hardens the metal causing it then to fatigue the mounting bracket. Yes for sure, by adding those extra triangle braces as recommended in "drag-200stang's" above post these would greatly improve that weak area of the mounting bracket. Good Luck

I had the same problem with my 170 Bronco oil pickup, broken in two places. I welded the arm together and also the screen was torn so I bought a pickup on eBay with similar dimensions cut off the pickup part and welded it to the original pipe. Been a couple years ago now and it appears to be fine.

That sounds like a good solution. I don't know why these things tend to break. Vibration? Bottoming out? But it is the same story over and over.

Back