oil pressure

i understand now. is the plug supposed to be there? the 200 i just put in was rebuilt so maybe i could have the same problem.

i think the plug IS supposed to be there to keep the engine from bleeding internally. am i right?

There are two plugs, one at the rear of the engine and the other one behind the timing chain cover. The reason for the plugs is to plug the casting holes that drained the sand out after the cast was poured. They used threaded plugs for these instead of the pop in freeze plug type because of the pressure. if your front one is missing the oil does just drain back into the oil pan.

there is a threaded hole right above the thrust plate that goes right into the oil supply for all the bearings and valve train. there is no plug in the hole. it feels like there is no brain in my head. will plug hole in motor and reassemble. as for my head, who knows?

you wont get over 40 psi at that location due to the bypass valve relieves presssure. it might indicate 40 at start up with cold oil then drop as the oil warms.

if you watch the guage closely and know your engine you can see the pressure drop, with time as the oil filter gets dirty. after you replace the filter it will raise back up again.

with a new engine, or after any major engine disassembly. or after changing oil brands/types you need to change your oil filter right away.

the oil pressure guage is very informative in this area on this engine.

stude3":fl2569s5 said:
you wont get over 40 psi at that location due to the bypass valve relieves presssure. it might indicate 40 at start up with cold oil then drop as the oil warms.

if you watch the guage closely and know your engine you can see the pressure drop, with time as the oil filter gets dirty. after you replace the filter it will raise back up again.

with a new engine, or after any major engine disassembly. or after changing oil brands/types you need to change your oil filter right away.

the oil pressure guage is very informative in this area on this engine.

heres an update on the progress. we plugged the oil galley in the front of the motor with a 1/4" pipe plug with the recessed hole for an allen key. when we started the motor we immediately got oil pressure. runs great! cant steer. thats another story... :roll:

Back