Oil pump adapter to fit a 250 pump on a 200 block

drag-200stang

2K+
VIP
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2021
IMG_1779.2.jpgIMG_1782.2.jpg

In the past I have direct mounted the larger 250 oil pump but it doesn't fit well and the front bolt hole falls off the 200 block mounting boss. As you can see in the picture, the 200 flange is the smaller one on top of the 250 flange. The bolt holes are right on top of each other leaving no room for the bolt heads. This adapter bolts down to the block and the 250 pumps bolts to the top of the adapter. This adapter is 3" tall. I'm moving the engine up to straighten driveline issues, giving me more room to make a deep pan to keep the oil away from the crank. As you can see, it is designed this way to be very stout. A shorter one could be made but you'd have to use studs in the block and small reduced head 12 point like a non locking jet nut to hold it down. Losing at least one of the side ribs to be able to tighten it down. The drive shaft comes out at about 6" and I didn't like what the after market had so I made my own out of some TI grade 5. I made it a larger tighter fit. Factory stuff is pretty sloppy and I expect it to be as strong or stronger.

Last edited:
Interesting Drag-200Stang, I am guessing that
3 inch drop puts the oil pump into the bottom of the oil pan? Is there a lot better oil volume then with using the 250 pump? What does your oil pan look like?

The 250 pump has more volume not sure how much more ,I will check on it. It appears the same size gerotors as 300 , 302 . The 250 pump has larger passages, pickup ,tube, and a lot larger oil bypass....The plan it to drop the bottom of pan 3''.

Last edited:
I measured the sweep volume of both pumps and the 250 is 12% more than the 200 ,but in use I think that it would flow a little more because of the larger pickup , tube and larger passages...If for some crazy reason that is not enough, there is some options for taller gerotors that could be fitted.

Back