Part #C9DE-6051-C what is this???

David and All, i can not thank you enough for all your help and info. I appreciate your time. I now have a clear direction to go w/ the re-build :D You all really helped me understand some things i have been struggling w/ for a while. Thanks again, Mark

OK, I don't know what make head gasket this is. I had the original 66’ head rebuilt back in the late 80’s and haven’t been able to locate any info on the parts. I measured at the bore edges also and got measurements from .047 - .049. I thought for sure that this was a metal gasket until I looked closer and noticed a fiber coating. This looks like a fiber and metal sandwich. Is this the newer composite type?

Another thing about this gasket is that the bore diameter was at least .15 (.075 radius) larger than the bore in the block as well as the bore in the gasket was not round. At the same spot on the edges of the bore (gasket) it looked deformed (lack of a better word). I didn’t get the impression that it was a deformation thou because it was in the same spot for each of the six bore. Am I describing this or should I get a picture?

Is this a standard design for the head gasket?

Thanks in advance, Ric.

Howdy Rick:

What you're describing is consistant with the early, replacment type composite head gaskets. Unfortunately the maker stamp is usually lost after use and disassembly, so it is unlikely that it's origin will every be known for sure. If it is constructed of a shim metal center with a fiber layer on either side, it is likely a replacement gasket similar to the FoCoMo gasket C9DE 6050 C. These were made by several manufactures. So thickness dimensions can vary.

The newer composites have a layer of teflon type material on top and bottom. FelPros have an orange silicone seal on top of the teflon, for better seal.

The none round bore shape of these gasket is typical of all small six gaskets. The "Bulge" is nearest the intake valve. We have tried to deduct the reason for the bulge, but have no fact based knowledge as to why manufactures felt it necessary.

Gasket bores are typically 3.75" for the OEM shims and 3.81" for all types of aftermarket composites.

These two facts are good reason to not use a gasket to determine head chamber limits for unshrouding the intake valves. Either use the smaller bore, steel shim gasket or, better, bolt the head to a bored and ready, bare block, tip it upside down, reach in through the bore to scribe the true bore shape onto the head deck.

As always, the devil is in the details.

Adios, David

Thanks David, you answered my question before I had the chance to ask. I was planning on “un-shroudingâ€￾ before performing the final CC’ng and was wondering how to develop the radius limit for that process.

On that note I have finally tore down the original C6DE 6015-B block this morning. From what I have learned, this is all original. The main bearings all have the original FoMoCo stamp and numbers. If you have any need of part numbers or pictures let me know. I have the equipment to provide high quality graphics of these parts and will be documenting this entire process for my own records.

Let me know if you need any special views and I will provide you with digital copies.

Thanks for your help, Ric.

Back