All Small Six Perky 144?

This relates to all small sixes

Paparo

So I ran across a deal kinda yo get my sons car driving . 144/2.77 manual … I’m wondering if there’s a way to perk up the 144 or if it’s worth it . My son is new at driving rear wheel drive so I’m not trying to kill him , but just in case he catches on fast , might wanna perk it up before doing the v8 swap

1st might B turn up the advance several * past ford spec

It would be interesting to look at a serious high performance 144 build.
They were reasonably popular years ago for certain boat classes

turbo, turbo, turbo !
Yeah that was always my desire. I got 1/2 the kit for one (we've done abuncha tacoma motors for the Starlet drag).
/OR/
a la AK - 4 Keihins~
need help figurin da linkage for the 2nd. Bet there's a Brit kit to fit (their motors. I found them doin it - bike carbs on 4 cyl limies & sellin).

Since so few are using the 144's or 170's now days to get you started you can look at some of these early Hot Rod Magazine article's on the Small Ford Six'es, yes even including the little 144's too back in the day there was lots of interest in them. Is interesting reading to see how the old timers made some power with some upgrades to their Falcons, Comets, and Mustangs back when these were new cars. The Offy Tri Power intake and linkage kit is still being made new, and there are some new ideas that can be used such as going with a newer 1V or 2 V carb and a better distributor from the Aussie Bosh Electronic (all the way up to a DuraSpark II is even possible with a little machine work on the block to enlarge pilot hole). You could also turn the 144 easily into a 170 Six they share the same bore size so just by swapping in a 170 Crankshaft, 170 Connecting Rods and set of 170 Pistons, giving you a 26 Cu. In. or more increase this could make a decent jump in HP and also better Torque. These were even the base engines they used in the first year Mustangs in 1964 1/2 to end of 1965. Something else that's also possible is if you could find one of the early 1963 1/2 to 1964 1/2 200 six 4 main crankshafts together with a set of the 170 or 200 Rods and maybe with a set of Aussie spec pistons (I haven't researched this combo out yet to know what their 144 or 170 piston compression heights were any different than the US piston versions). Also with your 144 Rods or a set of 170 / 200 Rods and a set of Custom made pistons (would need to do little math to know what can work for the compression height) then you could make it into a 181 cu. In. Six with the Stock 3.50 Bore Size, or it would be a little bit more depending on the overbore size you go to. So there are a few ideas for your 144 build up, Best of luck. https://fordsix.com/threads/ford-six-hotrod-articles.78168/

love it ! Now throw away a 144 in my direction?

Yes even the early 1961 up 170 heads were used by many old timers since it was one of the best at the time they still had the small Combustion Chamber but with slightly larger valves. But 144's have the smallest Combustion Chambers of all Log heads many just installed a set of larger intake valves and used the stock intake valves for the exhaust valves then ported them. However all Ford Log heads made from 1960 to 1968 were the small logs and don't flow very well even including when they are fully ported. The First Large Log heads were made in 1969 and newer these besides having a larger log, have bigger valves, larger carb opening, they out flow all the early small log heads there one and only draw back is their larger 62 CC Combustion Chambers which is easy to fix by milling the head surface down. There is one 170 Large Log that is a really good one to use on a 170 or 200 six. About 1972 to 74 range Ford started to prepare the heads for the coming unleaded fuels so the later head also have that advantage for use with today's fuels. About the best of all Factory Ford Large log heads are the 1980 to 1983 200 and 250 six heads, the 1977 up heads have the largest intake valves 1.750, largest Log sizes,

...having a larger log, have bigger valves, larger carb opening, they out flow all the early small log heads there one and only draw back is their larger 62 CC Combustion Chambers which is easy to fix by milling the head surface down.
reduction in head volumn: deck means block to me. Here "milling the head mating surface" is clearer? Is that surface called 'the' or 'a deck' too? Thnx ~

They are interchangeable but certain areas of the country can and do use different descriptive words, anyway I fixed it for you Chad.

oh, ok, ether/or (one of my learning disability may make me into some 1 who takes thing very literally). So I expand definitions, thnx ('interchangeable', 'different prts of country'). & U helped me w/o ridicule, nice.

Last edited:
Anecdotally:

Most survivor cars with the four main 144 or 170 engine can have seriously improved performance with a little help. After 60 years or so, returning to original design performance alone can be rewarding. Increasing performance from original is also rewarding and easily achieved. Electronic ignition , upgraded carburetor and minor cylinder head mods (as mentioned) can 'perk up' the 144.

You are already ahead of the pack - the 2.77 3 spd tranny although lacking synchro' first gear., is a big performance improvement over the 2 spd automatic. adding the OEM optioned Dagenham 4 speed (or T5) can add better gearing along with engine upgrades greatly improving drivability. .

Falcon Six - developed and built by Ford as an alternate to the swamp of low cost foreign imports in 60's. Originally the four main bearing 144 then 170cid, it also has an interesting racing history. The 144 was a class cid contender in early motorboat racing. Ford shipped a cache of 144's to an engineer who hand built an aluminum body sports car to SCCA specs and layed the inline six over 30 degrees for lower center of gravity. The 'Philson Falcon' was campaigned in 60's and still races in Vintage events. The four main 144/170 has high RPM characteristics that may be favorable over seven main bearing later sixes.

have fun

'63 More-door Wagon / Four Main Bearing 170cid / T5

OEM C8DE Ford 170, Precision Machine D7 (1977) Cylinder Head . Oversize intake valves/1.50 exh with- silicon springs and HD retainers, . Milled head w/ Steel Shim Gasket. CR= @9.5:1. H/W 5200 - 2.8 series (32/36) progressive 2Bbl carb., Exhaust ¾ siamese port divider, Champion racing spark plugs, Contact Point/Condensor distributor, Diaphragm Clutch. T5 5speed Overdrive tranny, Short throw Hurst Indy shifter, OEM 3.50: rear, Shelby sway bar, Addco rear sway bar , Fabricated subframe connectors / crossmember, Hooker 6601 dual out longtube headers. Shoulder belts front and belts for three in rear, Dual chamber master cylinder, OEM wide-wagon brakes, dual air line rear shocks, 14” wheels & tires, Countersprung Tailgate, Original tube radio …

#1) DSII (lets keep goin)
2. ? carb - a la post 13 (jet change allowed, no offie trip)
3 ?
say just a 'fast' car, not st, strip, or SCCA & just motor...
so cam, P'nP, etc~

... DSII (lets keep goin)

DSII (Ford OEM Electronic ignition/distributor ) unfortunately doesn't simply slip into early small sixes. Pertronix type or other electronic options are needed although my '63 Wagons' Coil/Condensor/Points distributor - electrical setup has worked flawlessly for @ 15 years with periodic inspection.

have fun

"...doesn't simply slip into..." o0OP, 4got of 'sm hole' (machine dizzy or block). "...worked flawlessly..." U must of cited the details somewhere here. Got the url to attach to this thread? Points/condenser need too much maintenance...
I'd like to keep goin on this lill 2.4 (almost). Hate to C them thrown away. Any one else? I've not seen it done here. If it has been can U cite the sticky or other threads? Like to put one together. I know, it's not a vedub 1.3L diesel or whatever some of those lill monsters are, but it is "O U Rs"...
My only issue w/the 144 is few mains as an i6. The log can B dealt with.

Hi Chad and everyone following these posts on a Ford 144 Falcon six, Here is the links showing most of the ways you can fit a better later model distributor and ignition system into one of the early sixes. These mods are for any of the Ford Six short blocks that came with the smaller 1/4 inch oil pump, the 1/4 in h drive shaft, and a early 1/4 inch hex drive Load O Matic Distributor, this would cover any of the 1960 to 1964 144’s, the 1961 to 1964 170’s, and the early 1963 1/2 to 1964 1/2 200 six engines.

sticky shows both tuning up the old system and some on swap out esp if dissasembling the motor (probably ideal as this project would be 'optomizing'. No 1 stated a budget but let's think $1k or less any way we could do that).

Is that OK Poparo? It seems a lill different than U stated as OP. Have we gotten U where U need or U still hangin on for any specific part of the above?
Got "the Handbook" yet? Read it?
How bout tech archive? Read it yet?
I mean - this is a WHOLE wk later By Gorsh -aahahahahahaa-
No seriously B4 we (I?) take off in nother direction... (pant, pant, squinty eyed). Need more?

This is a good study of what Ford did to Prep the First year Falcons to race with their new 144 Cu. In. Inline Six back in the 1960 & 1961 race season. In my above posts there’s already the links to the old magazine articles that go into good detail of how the 144 Six engine's were built back in mid to late 1959. This story with its pictures that I just found while working to get my old computer running this week for getting it ready for the newer operating software I need to download (that part was a total failure since my hardware is going to need to be up graded with something newer, but at least I found this story in its files.) It show's how the stock Falcon chassis and body were modded for that race series. Enjoy!

In 1960 Ford had built several Falcon's to compete in the new "Compact Car Series" races, below is the story showing how Holman Moody Prepped these Falcon Race Car's Part's 1 and 2 with lots of pictures. This is actually a continuation car that the Holman & Moody Shop Employees built to Show and Display representing one of these 1960 and 1961 Ford Falcons race cars that they had once built its is very close recreation of the original "The North Carolina Falcon" display car for that race series. The specs of Body and Chassis appear to be a match just like what those cars were with back then, with the exception that the original car would of had a smaller 1960 144 Cu. In. Six with a 2.77 3 speed trans and a stock 7 1/4 inch rear axle. This car was built in 2006 and this info and the below pictures are from this cars sale listing that I think I found back around April 10, 2014. EDITED

1960 Ford Falcon Base Model prepped by Holman & Moody "The North Carolina Falcon" powered by a Ford Falcon Six with 3 X 1V Carbs 4 Speed and a Full Rally Suspension

In 1960 Holman & Moody was given 4 Falcons and money from Ford to create cars to be run in the Compact Car series put on by Bill France and others. The first race was at Denver, a 6 hour endurance event at Continental Divide Raceway. Then, 4 weeks later it moved to Sebring for a 2 hour race for compacts just before the Grand Prix Main Event on Sunday. Bill France had several races in January,1960 at Daytona International Speedway that were televised by CBS. These races were run by Corvair's, Falcon's, Rambler's, Volvo's, Lark's, Jag's, Valiant's and several others. The drivers were some of the better drivers from that era being, Glen (Fireball) Roberts, Curtis Turner, Art Riley, and Pedro Rodriguez to name a few. The series was run for 2 years-1960 and 61 and then went away.

One of the cars built by H&M was a display car known as "The North Carolina Falcon" as seen in March 1960 Hot Rod Magazine. This magazine also had an article about the Compact car race in Sebring before the Grand Prix race. Several of Holman & Moody employees were intrigued by this car when pictures of it were found in the H&M library by Charles Farr. With permission from H&M, President Lee Holman, it was decided to recreate this car so a search for information was started. Several of the old H&M employees were located and they were drilled for information along with articles and pictures that could be found. It was also learned that this car was to be a test bed for the Rally Falcons that were to be built later. This car was built in 2006 and used as a show car and cruiser for several years. It was then stored away until last month when brought out and serviced.

It has a Ford 200 CI, with 3X 1V carbs, and a Dagenham 4-speed. When this project was started it took several years to find the correct donor car an early 1960 Falcon with no rust. It was located in a garage in Locust NC about 30 miles from the shop. It was stripped to the bare metal and primed. then painted with enamel paint as it would have been in 1960. All the changes that H&M would have made on the car were also added to include boxed suspension, bigger sway bars, traction bars, larger wheels and brakes along with frame rails.

The car will be sold with a clear NC title in my name, along with a BILL OF SALE from Holman & Moody, and a letter on H&M Stationary of Authenticity. This letter states that this is the only continuation car "The North Carolina Falcon" that will be allowed to be constructed.

The car is in excellent shape and has been driven over 3000 mile since it was constructed with no issues. The engine and transmission were rebuilt along with all suspension to include steering box brakes and rear end. There was no rust in this car and it was always garaged before and after construction. It has the original floors and trunk along with original sheet metal.

This vehicle would make an excellent display piece for a museum that wanted to show the compact series that was run in the early 1960's or a cruiser. There will not be another one produced by Holman & Moody. See the blow pictures 1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 1 to 20

Attachments

• 1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 1.JPG
    1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 1.JPG
    317.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 2.JPG
    1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 2.JPG
    315.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 3.JPG
    1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 3.JPG
    271.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 4.JPG
    1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 4.JPG
    346.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 5.JPG
    1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 5.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 6.JPG
    1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 6.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 8
  • 1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 7.JPG
    1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 7.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 8.JPG
    1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 8.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 9.JPG
    1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 9.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 10.JPG
    1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 10.JPG
    289.2 KB · Views: 12
In 1960 Ford had built several Falcon's to compete in the new "Compact Car Series" races, below is the story of the Holman Moody Prepped Race Car's in Pictures this is Part 2 to the above story.

Attachments

• 1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 11.JPG
    1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 11.JPG
    305.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 12.JPG
    1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 12.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 13.JPG
    1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 13.JPG
    294.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 14.JPG
    1960 Falcon Holman & Moody Prepped 14.JPG