Pony Carbs in Mustang Times

On the HW 5200 front, a side note. I put on a new carb from Langdon's. It has worked fine out of the box, sitting on the Redline adapter. While working on setting up my Cruise Control linkage, I took a look down the throat of the adapter. I feel reallly dumb. I can clearly see that the round hole of the adapter is at least 1/8" larger diameter than the hole in the log. While this isn't much in overall diameter, I would imagine it sets up turbulence, which I could have minimized by simply tapering the top of the hole in the log. That should have given me a smoother transition to the smaller diameter, and provide additional smooth flow.

I'm not brave enough to try my die grinder with the head on, and don't want to pull the head off again for now. Maybe next year. I think Ian will agree, that the same diameter hole will flow more, if the transition is smoothed by a tapered entrance.

Mike said:
I'd really like to test a progressive Weber too, but I can't see spending the money for a carb and adaptor just to do a couple runs.

Mike, I was planning a near term purchase of a new H/W 5200 and adapter to replace my stock 1 bbl. If you want to test this combo I'll go ahead and buy those two items plus whatever else would reasonably be needed. You can test, and then return to me at your convenience for my install.

If not interested then I'll return to my private debate on what I need first: carb or DS II upgrade.

Since you only live a couple miles from me, that would work out great. I appreciate the offer. In return, I can help you with the cost of a DSII when your ready.

Mike, i am going to pull this carb off my 67-200 for a while & test another 4412.
If you are interested in borrowing it when Gene gets his direct mount head on let me know. The carb is jetted with my innovate wideband & has different main jets, idle restrictor jets, pvcr jets & air bleeds.
On my engine a/f at cruise is 14.7 & wot is 12.8.
The only problem is this is a custom carb & holley does not offer this carburetor for sale with the annular discharge boosters.
Which means if it performs well, it would have to custom made.
I will sell this one if anyone is interested. PM me & i will give you the special componets on & inside this carb. $500.00 Bill
DSC_00012008-06-29.jpg

DSC_00072008-06-27.jpg

Interesting reading! All this time I thought it was gravity pulling my air through, now you're gonna tell me there's no such thing as gravity... the earth sucks :shock: :LOL: :LOL:

Just wanted to say thanks for the forum and this thread. I'm gleaning loads of info just reading the posts and banter. Wish I had more to offer, but I'll have to wait until I'm better educated. Thanks

I wanted to add to cfMustang (Chris') statement early in this post after mine. I have finally squared things with Jon, meaning I have a carb that allows my car to start and drive to the gas station. Even though it doesn't work well at least he is no longer wanting more money.

In his last email to me, he underscores Chris' post. If its a 200 ci 6 than the 1100 is the only carb. After 9 months of going back and forth, I upgraded from the 1100 to the 1101 and got noticeably better results. I am still far from the ulitmate goal, but I am also out of money. So it will be Christmas before I can start to think about modding the log head for a 2bbl. (Bill if you haven't sold the carb by then, I will be knocking!)

If it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't have tried any mods with my 6 and probably just stuck in a V8. At the moment, I wouldnt' trade my engine for a stout 289 or 351. I am almost done and I love the fact that my car is unique..in a field of V8's. Evidenced by a local car show last weekend on my anniversary. More people came and looked at my engine than the 351 parked next to me. More questions, comments and more 'thats awesome' then the next guy. "hey guys check out this 6" was heard more than once. Iam now waiting on the modded log tests. Does anyone know when those will happen?

http://video.cardomain.com/Clip.aspx?key=19C4A606B651ED47

Jim

Back