Pro charger pulley selection

Pmelsness90

I'm down to getting pulleys for my engine before I go to the engine Dyno with it and I believe I have my selection of pulleys picked out but figured some input is always good since they don't give pulleys away. My thoughts on pulleys are a bottom pulley of 9.17" top pulleys might consist of a 4.5", 4" and 3.55" which I'm. I have on the engine now 7.97" bottom and 5.25" top but I feel from research it's nowhere near the airflow needed to get the power im shooting for. The 9.17 and 3.55 will max the p1sc head unit out at 5700. That being said compression is 8.2-1. 309" ported bigger valves 240 head, 7/16 stud roller rockers Molnar rods race tec pistons, Isky custom ground cam with hydraulic lifters. Anyone has opinions or input I would appreciate it.

Do you have a Procharger P-1SC or a P-1SC-1?

Cam Specs: Isky .517 232 intake .542 242 ex on 110 LSA.

This cam will give you peak VE (torque) at 3600 rpm and peak power around 5500 rpm.
I would figure on a max engine rpm at 6000 rpm.

For max power from the Procharger I would limit the impeller speed to 60K rpm
60K/4.1/6000 = 2.44 drive ratio max.
A 9.17" bottom with a 4" top pulley would give you a 2.29 ratio which would be close enough.

It will probably make more peak boost than you intended, so you can use a wastegate to limit the boost pressure by blowing off the excess.
If you use a two port wastegate you can adjust the maximum boost level.
I talked with the techs from Turbosmart last month at the PRI show about this very same thing.

Last edited: 6 minutes ago

I have the p-1sc, the peak tq and hp rpm is exactly what isky said they would be as well. As far as boost goes my super sniper will handle 21.5 psi, I don't think 92 octane will allow that much but I could be wrong, adding a blow off valve will be no issue at all if I'm thinking correctly with a blow off valve controlling the over all boost the blower could be run maxed out out increasing the initial amount of boost at low rpm. I already have a vacuum surge valve I got from procharger I'm not sure at what point boost will push it open.

I have the p-1sc, the peak tq and hp rpm is exactly what isky said they would be as well. As far as boost goes my super sniper will handle 21.5 psi, I don't think 92 octane will allow that much but I could be wrong, adding a blow off valve will be no issue at all if I'm thinking correctly with a blow off valve controlling the over all boost the blower could be run maxed out out increasing the initial amount of boost at low rpm. I already have a vacuum surge valve I got from procharger I'm not sure at what point boost will push it open.
If you start by letting the Sniper take out one degree of ignition timing for each lb of boost, 92 octane will be fine.
What are you going to use for an ignition unit to be controlled by the Sniper?

I have a duraspark in it currently that I used for break in that is currently working with sniper now on my run stand but I also have a tfi style distributor. Ignition box is a msd 6al digital, msd hvh coil I currently have it setup 15 degrees initial 32 total at WOT 1 degree pulled per pound of boost. AFR is setup at 14.0 idle 12.8 WOT 10.5 under full boost estimating full boost is 15 pounds.

I currently have it setup 15 degrees initial 32 total at WOT 1 degree pulled per pound of boost.
Sure, you want something in there to fill the timing curve, but I don't go there until I can prove what the engine will like, before I push it there. You may already have a system in-place for tuning boost on det-limited fuel (pump gas), so this is just to cover one method I use for comparison, and for others reading and wondering how we tune boost without risk of melting stuff. The last thing we want to do is give it some guessed numbers, then cross our fingers and hope it's not too much or too little (both can be bad), before just hitting the throttle and hanging on. šŸ˜Ø I dislike anxiety, so I tune in a way I don't have any. šŸ˜

A tuning method I use is to limit throttle (clamps or linkage limiters), or boost by pulley, wastegate, or bypass, in order to tune for roughly NA max. The tuning is "bottom-up" so it begins at idle and works it's way through part-throttle and continues up to WOT. What this gives me is a foundation of a developed timing table showing what this fuel and this engine like for most efficient timing (peak torque), while building the table, without risk of damaging detonation.

From this I can clearly see timing regression with increasing manifold pressure. The engine does not know or care what boost is, as to it, it's just a higher level of manifold pressure. Nothing magic. The timing reduction from, say, 50 kPa part-throttle to 100 kPa wide-open will be effectively continued when boosted to 150 kPa and beyond. Bingo - a predictive timing table that this engine with this fuel should like to run best. With that mapped, it is a simple matter to run harder and harder incrementally, repeating and checking the results for best timing, watching multiple telltales for onset of minimal detonation. I always use more than one det detection method, and bend the timing curve approaching that point to delay cylinder pressure. It makes creation of boost timing a much quicker, more accurate, and yet safer process. :cool:
AFR is setup at 14.0 idle 12.8 WOT 10.5 under full boost estimating full boost is 15 pounds.
Just a note to take care with very rich mixtures, as they conceal the timing the engine should have at peak power Lambda (AFRs). Both reduced timing and enriched fuel work to delay cylinder pressure, so if tuned sloppy rich at 10.5 AFR, and for any reason it flashes lean, you're in-trouble. However, if it's tuned at peak torque AFR, the timing is optimal there, and leaning will have far less effect ā€” and you also won't leave power on the table unless you really need to.

We don't begin rich and retarded, we begin at peak efficiency, and retard or enrich when it's needed at det limit. Whenever possible I also continue the peak torque AFR found in the lower tuning, and carry it through to max boost. Peak torque is peak torque, and we do not know if we need sloppy rich fuel, yet. This gives a reserve capability to suppress det if and where it's needed, as an additional tool, layered-on in coordination with timing. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
What valves and valve springs did you use on your 240 head?

What did you end up using for a head gasket?

Last edited:
A tuning method I use is to limit throttle (clamps or linkage limiters), or boost by pulley, wastegate, or bypass, in order to tune for roughly NA max. The tuning is "bottom-up" so it begins at idle and works it's way through part-throttle and continues up to WOT. What this gives me is a foundation of a developed timing table showing what this fuel and this engine like for most efficient timing (peak torque), while building the table, without risk of damaging detonation.
I fully plan tuning it this way which is why I im getting a plan for which pulleys to get. I will have 2 crank pulleys and 4 blower pulleys to pick from. How we've done in the past on our NA race engines is a couple easy pulls to see what the engine is doing and seems to like and then start working up from there.

What valves and valve springs did you use on your 240 head?

What did you end up using for a head gasket?
We used sbc valves 1.96 intake and I believe 1.60 exhaust I'll have to check sizes for sure but standard size Chevy valves. The springs came from Isky part number 6105 they are 135 lbs closed not sure what they are open, it's dual spring with a damper spring in it as well. It is what isky sent with the cam and lifters. I used the fel pro 1024 head gasket.

We used sbc valves 1.96 intake and I believe 1.60 exhaust I'll have to check sizes for sure but standard size Chevy valves. The springs came from Isky part number 6105 they are 135 lbs closed not sure what they are open, it's dual spring with a damper spring in it as well. It is what isky sent with the cam and lifters. I used the fel pro 1024 head gasket.
Looks good

Back