Question about 170 block... and help advice needed :)

kaiser

Hi everyone! I hope all you can understand my post, I'm a little bad with my english (my apologies and please don't blame me)

According to this:

Summary: Here's how to figure out what size the block is. Identification can be made with a quick glance at three items on the motor, the water pump, number of freeze plugs, and the block code (found on the road draft tube mounting boss). The only trick is determining the difference between a 170ci 4 main and a 200ci 4 main, if there is no block code, as both engines had a three bolt water pump and three freeze plugs. The only way I know of for sure, is to verify the bore size. If I learn of another method, I'll let you know.

250ci -7 main: 4 bolt water pump and 5 freeze plugs.
200ci -7 main: 3 bolt water pump and 5 freeze plugs.
200ci -4 main: 3 bolt water pump and 3 freeze plugs.
170ci -4 main: 3 bolt water pump, 3 freeze plugs, and a "T" code (or no code).
144ci -4 main: 3 bolt water pump, 3 freeze plugs, and an "N" code.

(Note: Early 144/170's had a 1/4" distributor drive, later 170's had a 5/16" drive).

The improvements that I'm looking for, are:

• 2V Conversion on my stock large log manifold (I have a 1.75" diameter log on my head, with the next casting number: C3DE-6090-DX5 it's correct?)
    Holley 350 carburetor
    I hope I can made a full port, and 3angle job or at least port-matching on the exhaust
    Mill the head .060"
    Camshaft swap: CSC-264-10-HSP with 302HP springs
    I have a stock Adjustable 1.5 Rocker Assembly (no changes here :( )
    Stock valves (or what i should do)
    Headers
    Arvinode dual exhaust system
    Pertronix ignition upgrade (In the future DSII Ignition or DUI Ignition if i can)
    Transmission swap (Toploader)
    Oilcooling via sandwich adapter and fluid cooler, on the oil filter

In Mexico it's a little more difficult to get upgrades, parts or good works but I'm trying my best hehe :)

How many HP I can expect from my upgrades? what recommendation do you have for my project?

Also, the next year I'll try to supercharge my engine with the thunderbird SC supercharger hehe (if I want that i should avoid to mill the head right?). Of course this will be the only one ford straight six 170cid supercharged from my country haha obviously if i can do it.

Regards from Mexico City.

8) no need to apologize for your english, yours is as good as some people on this, and many other, forums and they all grew up in this country!! :rolflmao: :rolflmao:

as to your block question, i assume that you know oyu have 7 mains because you have pulled the engine apart. the 170 was a transition engine, most had four mains, but there were a few that had 7 mains, just like early 200s, most are 7 mains, but a few had four mains. it is a quirk of production. also if your block was cast in mexico, it is possible that mexican blocks were mostly 7 main bearing engines starting with the 170, ford of mexico was fond of doing things like that with various engines to save money.

as to your build, i would estimate that your engine, properly tuned, should make about 130hp roughly, the log head being the limiting factor.

rbohm":1pspui3g said:
i assume that you know oyu have 7 mains because you have pulled the engine apart

yep a few times :) in the last 10 years (rebuild the engine to stock, change rear main seal, change oil pan gasket) :mrgreen:

hehe thank you for your advice!

I hope a get a little recommendation from you and other memebers, to improve my build. I don't know if a should supercharge my engine in the future :banghead: hehe considering that i can't have forged pistons, maybe i should just mill the head, install large valves and then enjoy my engine and car :p :unsure:

ps: the car is a falcon sedan 2 door from 1964 :mrgreen:

8) as long as you control detonation, and keep the boost pressure below 8psi, you can supercharge an engine with stock type cast pistons.

Felize Navidad
&
buneos diaz, welcom 2 da forum and site!!! :D
C ur english is better than my spanish!
OR - ur english is better than my english!!! :wow:

"...my head, with the next casting number: C3DE..."

I think the hex or large log head (I believe the names R interchangable) starts w/the letter "D" and the yr "7". Ie 1977 rather than the 1963 that U have. Not positive, the more knowledgable will B along shortly 2 correct I assume...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67003&p=531324#p531324 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QTgb4knAuI

Very nicely done, with Opel Manta 400/ XE/XF 4.1/F150 4.9 EFI style long intake runners. Its port on port, which could put power at 280 hp at as low as 6500 rpm from 170 cubes.

And an example of how carbs or efi can be taken right over the engine bay like Cosworth did for Opels killer 2 wheel drive Manta 400...it can be done!

This is proof positive of what I've said for ages...moving towards more of a port on port style carburation, Ak Miller style, http://www.classicinlines.com/HA1.asp makes huge power with not a lot more revs. The Knott Falcon runs fully port on port, with six venturis on six ports to six cylinders, and thats how the power improves so much. Ak Millers set ups were almost totally stock engines, with 260 degree cams and two or four intakes serving six cylinders. Each time two extra runners were added, rear wheel hp went up 10 hp.

Back