Remember Me??

A

Anonymous

Readers digest version: Dropped nut in intake. Can't get out. Decide to pull head.

That should bring most up to speed.

Tonight I started pulling the head. Valve cover was a pain but I finally got it off. Pull the rocker assembly. Removed all the Head bolts (think I am getting weak because that sure didn't feel like 65 ft lbs). Try to budge, back moves, antifreeze spills, front doesnt. Pulled thermostat housing. Find bolt underneath thermostat housing. Pull it after finding 1/4 inch drive ratchet. Not moving. Pull top bolts on exhaust manifold. Not happening. Hook up cherry picker. Back is loose but front is not. Look at thermostat. It is 31 in garage. Time to go inside. Any ideas?

I have never done this so I can`t give you much help but make sure to change the oil when you`r done and I feal you`r pain at least you have a garoge all I got is a car port I had to change the valve seels when the wind chill was 0 and the temp was 20 NOT FUN but I got started to late so I had go inside little do I know that its going to snow in 3 hours so the nex day I go out side and the head is under a 1nch of snow

but anny way good luck with the head 8)

Pills;
A long, long time ago when as a seveteen year old I decided to pull the head on my 54 Ch**y I worked to get it off and could not. My dad who at the time I didn't get along mit said, "maybe you don't have all the bolts out" and I could see thet I had. I got a chisel and drove it between the head and block and the head went crack and I had two peices of head and there, down in a pocket where oil covered them up were two head bolts. :shock: :cry: :oops:

8)

Double and triple check and make sure you have all the head bolts out. Makes sure you got the very end bolts out.

And you removed the exhaust manifold right?

When I got the last bolt out my head slid to the passenger side becasue exhaust was still attached.

If your applying what sounds like considerable force and it still is not coming loose it sounds like you still have something attached.

I took of the nuts for the pipe. Planned on pulling the manifold and head at the same time. When that didn't work I pulled the top bolts on the manifold. Still didn't work. Going to go pull the bottom bolts. Will let you know.

Double check that all of your head bolts are out. There are 14 of them.

Later,

Doug

pulled the exhaust manifold. Pulled the water pump. All the bolts are out. Will count them in a minute. The head is coming up in the back but after a bit I am lifting the front tires off of the ground!!!! All this because of a stinkin nut. :eek: :eek: :eek:

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Count em boys. 13. Thought that one on the front passenger side was a nut for attaching something. Maybe I should change my name from pills to idiot. Thanks for all the help. Hopefully my head isn't warped.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

8) dont feel bad, once i was pulling the heads from a small block chevy and forgot the entire lower rox of bolts :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: . fortunately i didnt break the heads trying to remove them.

Dont feel to bad, I had the same problem as you the 1st time I pulled mine. I missed the one of the ones between the intake and the valve cover :shock: It was packed so full of gunk i didnt even realize it was there! ;)
Later,

Doug

thanks for trying to make me feel better. Hopefully my head isn't warped.

I cracked the case on a John Deere 2020 deisel tractor because I "knew I'd got all of the bolts". Drove a chisel betwwen the trans & rear housings. My father-inlaw almost killed me. I almost cried. :shock: Don't feel bad. If you haven't done somethin' like that yet, don't worry-- you will.

HELLO PILLS

MY FIRST 1962 FALCON NEEDED THE HEAD TO COME OFF. MINE HAD A SMALL BOLTWITH A NUT ON IT HOLDING THE GROUND CABLE FROM THE BATTERY. AFTER REMOVING THE NUT I LOOKED AND THOUGHT THE BOLT WAS COMING OUT OF THE HEAD. I COULD NOT SEE IT WAS A HEAD BOLT.

TOOK ME TWO HOURS BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO BREAK ANY THING. CLEANED UP THE HEAD AND PUT A LIGHT ON IT AND I COULD PLAINLY SEE THERE WAS A HEAD BOLT WITH A SMALL GROUNDING BOLT COMING OUT THE TOP....!!!!

THAT HAD TO BE ABOUT THE SUMMER OF 1964.

KEEP ON..KEEPING ON!

LIVE IN GRACE

LEROY POLL

I spent about two hours trying to hoist the 250 out of the engine compartment, only to find that it would lift the front tires off the ground! :unsure:

I eventually found the problem: a tiny little bolt was still attaching the engine backing plate to the tranny! :oops: :LOL:

Hope you find that little bugger!

HEY PILLS ,
ALUMINUM HEADS ARE MORE PRONE TO WARPING THAN CAST HEADS, BUT... IFYOU WERE APPLYING ENOUGH PRESSURE TO LIFT YOUR FRONT WHEELS OFF THE GROUND THERE'S A CHANCE YOU MAY HAVE CRACKED IT.CAST IRON IS BRITTLE.YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO SEE THE CRACK EITHER. I'M NOT TRYING TO BRING YOU DOWN, IJUST WOULD HATE FOR YOU TO GO TO ALL THE TROUBLE OF REASSEMBLING EVERYTHING AND THEN HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND HAVE IT CHECKED. ;)

LEROY POLL: Thats the one that got me!!!

SIMPLEMAN: It is going to the machine shop this week. Will find out then.

Back