Remove XC GXL Dash.

Teditor

Trying to remove my 78 XC GXL Dash, they say depress a pin on the light switch, how do you get at it and depress with what, there is the original 8 track unit that I can't figure out how to remove.
One manual says use your finger but there is only a very small opening.
Also, can anyone advise the nut size for the wiper switch and what do you use to remove the escutcheon.

Trying to remove my 78 XC GXL Dash, they say depress a pin on the light switch, how do you get at it and depress with what, there is the original 8 track unit that I can't figure out how to remove.
Also, can anyone advise the nut size for the wiper switch and what do you use to remove the escutcheon.

Found the tool for the escutcheon removal on ebay, still can't get access to the button on the headlight switch (right or left side?), knob came off easy, hope that was correct, there only seems to be two small slots under the switch but with the eight track player access is very limited.

The headlight button should allow the whole knob to come out then you just unscrew the switch from the dash.

hope you have small hands because you're going to have reach up in there. on the top side of that light switch there is a little spring loaded button it sticks up about 1/4" and it's about 3/16' in diameter push it down pull out on the switch as though you were turning on the headlights the rod will come out 1 click further than normal now let up on the button and pull it the rest of the way out. its a bitch but you can do it, now the real fun part is getting that big ass plug off the bottom of the switch. if in doubt look at another switch ford used that same design for umpteen years

Can anyone tell me what size the nut is on the XC Wiper switch, I know it needs a deep socket, I purchased a tool to remove the escutcheon but the nut size has me baffled, I purchased 3/8 and 7/16 deep sockets, could 5/16 be it.

Realized there is no nut on the wiper switch just the escutcheon, just about got the instrument cluster out but I can't get it past the plastic steering column shroud, can anyone explain how to remove the shroud please.

Another question, not only can't I get the cluster out (it's caught under the top lip of the upper dash), but how does the speedo disconnect and can it be disconnected before moving the cluster, accessible from underneath?, can the electrical plug be done from underneath also? problem is I am 76 and not very agile with parkinsons affecting my left side so getting my left hand in behind the cluster is almost impossible. Anyone wanna earn some dollars.

Back