stock speeds

A

Anonymous

i have a compleatley stock 200 in my 66 stang, (well except for the new 3 core radiator) wiht a c-4 for tranny, i see eveyone saying they cant see 80 mph on there stock car. I went up to Santa barbra the other... um month... and i topped out at 92. why is it that im goin faster?

then my C4 blew up coming out here to colorado goin up vail... was gunna put in a T-5, but in the moment i got the c4 rebuilt :x pissed at myself, now i have everything i need (spare the tranny itself) and i dont wan tto do it cuz i spen 800 on the goddam rebuild.

sorry this is disjointed, i wanted to say a few things and not make 3 different posts

also im no wlooking at doin some mods, im poor, and i cant have a lot of down time, what do you guys suggest? thanks for input

I am hitting about 90...and I need a vacuum adavnce and a carb rebuild/swap.

my 3spd is doing alright.

8)

I have a 80 Mustang with a 200 and a C4 and currently a 2.73:1 gears and P215/60-HR14 tires and I hit 90 with a tailwind.

8) i have had my falcon to 90 on level road. i even had it to 85 pulling a trailer.

i used to be able to do that when i had the stock 13s on it; at least the speedometer said that's how fast i was going, it only revved to like 5 when i did it, lol

My Fairmont and Zephyr wagons (79 Z, 200, C4, 2.73 rear, 80F, 200, C-4, 3.08 rear) both get over 85 on the highway (well...usually I wait for the highway...)...the Fairmont gets a little long-winded at 80 but the Zephyr needle is usually looking up at the bottom of the 85 from about where the 95 should be.
With the crossflow/T-5 coming for the Z-wagon, I'm hoping a new speedo will be in order! :)
Maybe I should put the old 200/C-4 in my Nissan? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Ben

My first Mustang, '65 I6 fastback with auto trans and no other options, pegged 95 on the flat - but any slight incline would back the numbers off. I do not recommend doing this on such a vehicle with worn out suspension (but new shocks), 185/80/13 tires, and 2.80:1 rear - especially now days. Back then the car was much younger...

Odo was accurate but the speedo could have been off.

regards,

Dean T

Best way to get an accurate top speed measurement:

1. Find a flat, level section of interstate highway,

2. Make sure you pick a day with good weather. Not too windy, not too hot or cold.

3. Inform the State Patrol of your intent to conduct high speed testing. Make sure you give them the proper Interstate designator and mile markers for your test. That way they can assist with traffic control, making the test much safer.

4. On the established test date, make your run. If you coordinated step 3 properly, you will get a certified copy of your top speed from the Highway Patrol. If you don't have time to coordinate a run, very often an officer will be in the area to assist you with an impromptu speed timing and can show you your speed on a certified measuring device (radar, laser, Lidar, or even clocking you with his certified speedometer). They are always eager to help, but make sure you thank him.

5. Very often the local news is interested in documenting speed measurements from their aerial camera. Make sure they know as well.

6. Make sure you do a backup run for the record. ;)

OLD FORD SPEED-0-METERS WERE NEVER KNOWN FOR THEIR ACCURACY. I WOULD SAY YOU ARE ABOUT AVERAGE. THESE 90 MPH SPEEDS ARE PROBABLY WAY OFF FOR A STOCK ENGINE. CHECK OUT SOME OLD REPORTS AND YOU WILL MORE THEN LIKELY FIND 79 ABOUT TOP SPEED WITH A 3 SP TRANSMISSION 65+ MUSTANGS.

One problem with following your plans in Australia, Jack... It's all user pays here. You would fund the redirection, wages, planning and whatever associated with the test.

i would say your right, but i was goin up there with a friend, she was driving a civic ( i know boo!) but with 4 people in her car she either couldnt reach my speed or didnt want to, anywat at the time i was don 90 she was goin 85 and i was leaving here behind

P.S. there is a hill climbing up to santa monica, on the way back it was interesting how i could keep speeds, and the civic couldnt.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
1-all in the US vs. Australia humour contest.

Can I have barbecue sauce with my slice of kosher vegan humble pie? :)

Hmmmm, lets take 80 MPH, thats 5 over most western state speed limits. How fast can you get there? For me in my 68 65 is good! Can't stop that buggeroo!

In 2001 I drove from Nebraska to Cape Cod, MA. Driving through PA, going up and down mountains, I was passed by a couple of semis pulling modular home halves. Those are pretty light shells, so they don't weigh much, but have a huge side area. These guys were running just ahead of me, and I thought, "If I'm going to see an accident, I want to see it in my mirror." :shock:
I sped up and passed them, and maintained an indicated +/- 87 MPH. 8) I have checked my odometer against mile markers over long runs, and I'm reading 5% high, so it was +/- 83 MPH. I was able to maintain the speed up and down hill, without having to floor the gas. I had my wife with me, so I never really did check for top speed. Besides, it was a long way back to Nebraska, and I didn't want to blow her up. ;)

yes the speed limit was 65, BUT in California you drive as fast as you can when the traffic permits, have been there 21 years, and have seen maby 4 CHP total.. (California Highway Partol)

Back