TBI injection

64.5 TX Stang

Years ago I had a lebaron with a 4banger and TBI. I was wondering how hard would it be to adapt a system like this to a 200? I would imagine the only requred sensors woudl be a O2 sensor, and probably a teperature sensor. I can't remeber if there was a maf sensor or not. The reason I am thnking of this is because I am interested in maybe going to a turbo setup, and wanted the most efficient system possible. (daily driver, stop and go). Thanks!!

I'd go to the Megasquirt site and see what they need as far as sensors. I'd say at least a throttle position sensor, coolant temp sensor, O2 sensor and air intake temp. The MAF isn't needed because of the way the computer works. Using a computer used in other applications would be iffy, depending on how much knowledge you have. A standalone is much easier.

If it is speed density, changing the cubic inches that much would throw the computer WAY off. Best would be Megasquirt.

If it is speed density, changing the cubic inches that much would throw the computer WAY off. Best would be Megasquirt.

Yeah I have been reading up on that exact subject. I read about people looking into a triple TBI setup, that sounds like a fun little project. Then to add a turbo, maybe a triple turbo??? Three small turbos running off of two cylinders each??? Hmmmm.... Interesting.

Interesting, yes...worthwhile...no. The complexity of this would be beyond me. A single turbo I could hack, but think...3 times the intercooler piping, 3 wastegates to plumb in, and to top it all off the clearance issues... I'm not saying it's impossible. It would be really cool to see. But doing it...I don't know. Plus those would be some tiny turbos to be anywhere around the needed flow. BUT if you build it, be sure to post the pics!! :eek: :eek:

There were pictures a couple of years ago, of a triple turbo six cylinder. But they were progressive, not parallel installations. The plumbing was crazy! :)

andrew_carruth":2ylluj5o said:
altho I think I want a bit more boost than 5.8psi

I don't know if you understand how turbo sizing works.

That thing is waaay too small and would never provide anything close to 5.8 psi on a 3.3 liter engine. Three of them might, though.

Did anyone see the Bel-Air with 8 turbos! :shock:

1094139d.jpg

Ok, enough hijacking

I don't know if you understand how turbo sizing works.

That thing is waaay too small and would never provide anything close to 5.8 psi on a 3.3 liter engine. Three of them might, though.

Yeah I was refering to a three turbo setup, although I agree that it would absolutely be more trouble than it is worth. Althoguh I have just started looking into turbos I do realize that you not only have to be able to generate a certain pressure (insert boost ere), but you have to be able to provide that pressure at a flow rate that will feed the demands of the engine. As far as matching a/r ratios and compressor trims though I am still a bit confused, but learning all I can.

andrew_carruth":1w0c1owg said:
As far as matching a/r ratios and compressor trims though I am still a bit confused.

Those are just sizes, really...like 170, 200, 302, 351, 460 etc

Each compressor trim can flow between x and y pounds of air per minute....some do it better at higher pressures, some not so well. That is where a map is helpful. Each turbine trim can also only flow "so much" air out the exhaust.

People focus on A/R too much because it is a number you can actually see on the turbo itself, but A/R is 100% worthless unless you know what size trim the turbine and compressor are.

That's about it!

andrew_carruth":1ixnok1f said:
Check out htis one. It is just a cute little thing,

The listing says it is good for 800-1200 cc so it would be a good match for triplets on a 3300 cc (200 cube engine)

You can always adjust the wastegate higher, too.

Linc's 200 -

Is there a good book anybody can recommend on the subject of turbocharging? I assume there are all sorts of fun calculations to calculate air flow needed by the engine and thus required to be output by the turbo?

andrew_carruth":195z0646 said:
Linc's 200 -

Is there a good book anybody can recommend on the subject of turbocharging??

I bought the Hugh McInnes book: "Turbochargers" 17 years ago, there is also another by Corky Bell, but I don't have it.

A lot of the "real world" practical knowledge is from hanging with the right people and learning on my own.

turbomustangs.com is also a great resource, but those guys are pretty hard core so you have to be careful when asking "newbie" questions - always better to SEARCH first.

of course, I am always here to help!!!

don't tell me you are getting bitten by the turbo bug, too!

Yeah I am I was thinking tht since the newer heads have a larger combustion chamber and thus a lower compression ratio that there is a better way out than milling the head. I think a super or turbo (highly preferred) charger is begging to be on this sort of setup. Although I need to ditch the 2.77 first and at least get a 3.03 so I don't grenade my tranny.

One affordable way to TBI these sixes is to get a TB from for example a SBF early '80s vehicle, have a Megasquirt drive it and hook up wallaka's list of sensors. MS kit already has MAP built in. This is the way I'm going, but I'm not considering boosting (at least yet).

Of course this requires 2V adoption to head, electric fuel pump and so on. But I like the simplicity of the Ford TBI and that it has good set of features in one package, like TPS, fuel pressure regulator, and of course butterfly and injectors. MS gives nice path to enhance the setup bit by bit; add boost and it'll take it with no mods to the box itself up to 20PSI, add spark control and so on.

Back