All Small Six Timing woes

This relates to all small sixes

Middleburgeric

Hopefully y’all can help I’m going crazy. I have a 61 econoline with a bone stock 200, has Holley sniper fi. I put in a generic hei distributor. I can’t get this thing to stop pinging at cruising speed (3000 rpm). I think it’s ping it kinda sounds like marbles in the valve cover. If I floor it it goes away and same if I let off the gas. I have 10 degrees of initial timing at 700 with 18 degrees of total timing advance so should put me at 28 . The vacuum is adjustable and I have tried it everywhere still pings. My advance springs should have my mechanical timing all in at 3500-4000. Any help would be awesome thank you.

Hopefully y’all can help I’m going crazy. I have a 61 econoline with a bone stock 200, has Holley sniper fi. I put in a generic hei distributor. I can’t get this thing to stop pinging at cruising speed (3000 rpm). I think it’s ping it kinda sounds like marbles in the valve cover. If I floor it it goes away and same if I let off the gas. I have 10 degrees of initial timing at 700 with 18 degrees of total timing advance so should put me at 28 . The vacuum is adjustable and I have tried it everywhere still pings. My advance springs should have my mechanical timing all in at 3500-4000. Any help would be awesome thank you.
The HEI is not compatible with the Holley Sniper, it produces a dirty signal.
Second if you had that HEI on a carbureted engine the mechanical has too much advance & should be all in by 3K.
The vacuum advance also has too much advance.
All HEI's purchased need to be recurved. Bill

61 econoline with a bone stock 200, has Holley sniper fi. I put in a generic hei distributor.

... Ignition and other half of reasons for 'ping' is Fuel. Also any chance compression was raised by milling head?. New FI and new ignition setup is suspicious - sitil got the carb and OEM distrib? .

.. have you tried 93 octane for results?

I'm honestly not clear what kind of 'generic HEI distributor' is used with early ('61?) 200 engine, - 200's would be pretty rare in '61 with usual 144's and some 170's .

I run DSI & DSII' Ford 70's distributors -stock and modified with GM type HEI triggers on a couple of performance small block sixes. The DSII's with GM type HEI modules are simple to set up but do not fit in the early engines before @ C8DE.

hav e fun

The HEI is not compatible with the Holley Sniper, it produces a dirty signal.
Second if you had that HEI on a carbureted engine the mechanical has too much advance & should be all in by 3K.
The vacuum advance also has too much advance.
All HEI's purchased need to be recurved. Bill
I had a duraspark on it and it was causing issues so I swapped to a hei. I will change some springs on it.

61 econoline with a bone stock 200, has Holley sniper fi. I put in a generic hei distributor.

... Ignition and other half of reasons for 'ping' is Fuel. Also any chance compression was raised by milling head?. New FI and new ignition setup is suspicious - sitil got the carb and OEM distrib? .

.. have you tried 93 octane for results?

I'm honestly not clear what kind of 'generic HEI distributor' is used with early ('61?) 200 engine, - 200's would be pretty rare in '61 with usual 144's and some 170's .

I run DSI & DSII' Ford 70's distributors -stock and modified with GM type HEI triggers on a couple of performance small block sixes. The DSII's with GM type HEI modules are simple to set up but do not fit in the early engines before @ C8DE.

hav e fungus engine is from a 68 mustang. And it’s just a eBay hei for a 200. All I run is 93. I got the truck and put the fi on it and tossed the stock stuff. I was using a dsII but it was giving feed back to the fi and doing weird stuff

What's the sniper reporting for your AFR when it's pinging? how's the fuel pressure? I assume you're not using timing control with the Sniper HEI combo. It's possible the damper has slipped and the timing mark is off. Generally pinging gets worse when you push the pedal down further while it's pinging. The fact that it goes away might point to a fueling problem at part throttle with the sniper. Where is the O2 bung located?

What's the sniper reporting for your AFR when it's pinging? how's the fuel pressure? I assume you're not using timing control with the Sniper HEI combo. It's possible the damper has slipped and the timing mark is off. Generally pinging gets worse when you push the pedal down further while it's pinging. The fact that it goes away might point to a fueling problem at part throttle with the sniper. Where is the O2 bung located?
My afr is in the 13s when it’s pinging. And nope no timing control but this has me wanting to buy their dist .I haven’t checked pressure yet. And my bung is right after the stock manifold it’s as close as I can get it.

back off the timing until it stops pinging?? Have you adjusted the timing with a vacuum gauge? What Octane gas?

I haven’t done timing with a gauge. I don’t really know how to do it with a gauge.
Eric, per conversation yesterday, verify that the crankshaft damper is at TDC when #1 piston is all the way up on the compression stroke.
Check fuel pressure.
You need to go back to the DS11 & curve it like i told you, or purchase one from me which is spot on.
Make sure you install a ground wire from your engine to the body. You stated that it did not have one. Wish you the best.

Back