Tired of comments about my 6 cyl 65 Fastback need help !!

Challenger6,
I quit showing my truck because I got tired of the crap I heard about it. I have a 95 Lightning (Generation 1) with 150,000 miles on it. I would have the only one showing, and have to show (be compared to) newer to brand new Lightnings. The comments that I got tired of hearing was, what no super charger? What no leather interior? I finely asked one of my critics, "Where is your vehical, I'd like to see what you are driving". I got the response, well my car is in the parking lot over there. As he pointed across the street. I can't stand car shows. I just work on my stuff and enjoy it.
Ken

I think that for the most part, to some degree, most of us know how you feel. First and formost, get over the insults and decide where you really want to go with your car. For myself, as I showed up to my first Mustang gathering many years ago and opened my hood to proudly show off my extremly well detailed and freshly painated engine bay, my enthusiam was somewhat dashed as an officer of the Mustang club , that I had just joined, walked up to my car, looked at the engine bay and dispationately stated, "Oh, a _ _ _ _ ing six" and walked off without futher comment. Got to admit that it took me a while to get over the insult. I did not go to another meeting or show for quite a while. I wish I had know about this site during those times. I've done mild restomod on my '65 6 cyl coupe with some of the parts offered by Mike and electronics learned from members of this forum. If I had the budget to handle second car, I'd go straight concours like one I saw at the MCA Regional that was held he in Las Vegas a couple of years ago. I would do cam, minor electronics,
third member and head mods for beter performance, but would insure that everything else look concours original.

people don't realize that the inline 6 is one of the most marvelous setups in the motor world. Most people don't realize the whole country is powered by 600hp 2000 lb ft inline 6's everyday. Working for caterpillar i am proud to say all i work on are I6's.

I like my 6 and now since am getting that dui dizzy am going to be messing with 6 bangers for a long time but most people don’t see 6 cylinders as muscle cars.

dieselmaster":3pa7ur7f said:
people don't realize that the inline 6 is one of the most marvelous setups in the motor world. Most people don't realize the whole country is powered by 600hp 2000 lb ft inline 6's everyday. Working for caterpillar i am proud to say all i work on are I6's.

Know where you're comming from as my best friend on a remote assignment during my Air Force career was the supervisor of a power plant that had three inline 6's that supplied power to the site when the local power played out.

dieselmaster":1r8no767 said:

Ironically my friend and I were joking because one of his friends lives near me and thought I had a v8 in my falcon. I laughed and said that my car only sounds remotely v8 at idle and otherwise it sounds like a tractor mixed with an old bmw more tractor. This friend drives 240s which he says always sound like lawn mowers, I told him I made a good choice moving up to industrial equipment.

I have to agree most in america do not view the six as a muscle car powertrain. Its a hard arguement with how good v8s sound, however I've always been someone who enjoyed a challenge and the straight six is such a quirky and good looking motor.

Well , I have been speaking woth does10's and Mike about my plans. Ive decided to follow through, as I listed my entire windsor collection for sale last night. Im going to go with a 250and I already had a nice std. block. Im talking to a friend with Turbonetics also about my turbo selection. I already have Cal-tracs and their mono-leafs installed along with a complete disc brake conversion. The 62 F'Lane has a 9" with 3.89 gears, 35 spline Mosers, and a Yukon full spool. Tranny will be either a 3550 or c4-----still cant decide about that yet. As soon as these Windsor parts sell, I want to go ahead and get with Mike on one of the aluminum heads and a set of JE pistons. Im pumped and feel like I have a new found energy since I started looking into an in-line 6. I will post pics of the car progress soon too. Thanks so much for all the help and advise. Any more will be greatly appreciated.--Lee

challenger6,

First, I'm glade you are keeping your 65 Fastback Concours original.

Second, Welcome back from the Dark Side of the Farce. The Farce being that you need a V8 to have performance.

When you think about it the v8 world has gone far away from the original hot rodding roots they grew from. I get car craft on a regular basis and the content is getting old with 150 hp from one bolt on supercharger etc, etc, etc. cheap easy horsepower is nothing but blowing smoke up your tailpipe. IMO flathead 8's were the last frontier of hotrodding, since then its been nothing but cookie cutting, easy quick and cheap. As for this sight if we were cookie cutters all of us would have Does10s setup. For the most part i have seen nothing but genius around here when it comes to finding our own way to the fastest 6's on the planet.

dieselmaster":1vmh40xk said:
For the most part i have seen nothing but genius around here when it comes to finding our own way to the fastest 6's on the planet.

You got that right. My wife heard a show on the radio where the host asked a number of women if their husband had all the right tools for every job he tired and if not, what does he do. One or two said yes. Most of the women said 'no,' but he would go out and buy it. All except for one woman. She said, "No, but..."

"No. But if he doesn't he makes it."

Kinda like most of the guys here.

Oh, and if you are even thinking about that concourse class, weld the gas cap shut and get ready for the chi-chi, snotty remarks and know it better than you minutia you are gonna hear every stinkin' minute.

This way you can say, "Right. A six. And I drive it. Do you?"

"Sticks and Stones" I wouldn't pay it any mind. People are idiots. I used to hear that alot when I was younger and working at a gas station,I had my green 66 Sprint 6 cyl.Convertible. For me the rebuts were easy,I would usually make a comment like Yea I hope to one day get a cool car like that Four door Chevy Lumina(etc.) over there.While pointing to What ever uncool car he was driving. Or I would say stuff like yea this is my cruising/date car. She's got a sister that's a nasty bitch if you want to run? referring to my mildy worked (quick on the street) 66 G.T. Fastback that I used to keep in the back of the station if you want to run?

When people say stuff that gets to you, go up and ask to see their car. It doesn't matter what car you show, some people will cut it down because they are jealous.

I'd say, "Yes, it's just a 6-cylinder and it is mine. Could I see your car that you are showing today?"

Back