To those that have done the X and H pipe...

inline300

Famous Member
Im looking for folks that have ran dual exhaust and have tried both crossover designs, while basically keeping the rest of the exhaust system the same.

From a sound perspecitve, what did you notice?

Based on the general consensus, crossover pipes show no power benefit on an inline or even fire engine, the X should make the exhaust quieter than duals alone, the H should make the exhaust deeper but not quieter...now that I have that out of the way...:)...not looking for theory or he said she said, just those that have an opinion based on their direct experience.

Thanks

My preference is to keep the pipes separated. X- and H- pipes both tend to reduce the distinct alternating pulses. Keeping them separated makes the engine sound more like a classic XKE/Aston Martin to my ears, especially if the pipes are kept to 2" or less.

All due respect, I should probably make a note.

Im not looking for opinions regarding what people like to hear from their old six banger. I better mention that before I get 20 replies about how someone thinks their exhaust sounds the bestest, I dont wanna sound like a jerk, I just dont want to waste everyones time.

I mainly want to know how the tone and decibal level is affected. It would be great if those that have tried both X and H could throw their thoughts out there, specifically tried both X and H with otherwise simillar exhaust setups/mufflers.

I know for a fact the X pipe quieten my duals dramatically, to the point I had to rev the engine to assure myself it was running. :) Im considering replacing it with an H design, just to hear what I can hear but if the difference is negligible, then I wont bother. I know what to expect from a v8 but wasnt sure how the I-6 would react, considering the exh is balanced anyway.

Thanks

I have a X pipe with series delta-flow 40 on my lightning & have no interior drone at all. Without the X pipe i had interior drone.

On my 67 mustang i have a X pipe with flowmaster hushpower series. At idle it sounds nice, at highway speeds it has a bumblebee sound, but no drone.
My next set of mufflers will be dynomax mufflers or a similiar design.
That would take out some of the sound on acceration & cruising.
DSC_0007.jpg

No high pitched schril sound, more like a high pitched flowmaster noise.

At idle the nice mellow rumble of a cammed engine is heard.

Thats why i would like to try a dynomax, still would hear the cam at idle but would hopefully the lower the decibels at cruise.

No drone noise inside the vehicle.

All the older lexus inline sixes brought 2 pipes into one center pipe & then to duals.

Mustangsix could give you more info on bmw & mercedes oem systems.

The manufactures i'm sure did it for noise control, but maybe more power also.

57-62 corvettes on the hp engines all had a crossover pipe & they claimed a gain of 15FTLBS of torque gain, but thats a V8.

They claim that even a larger single exhaust on a six shows no loss of power, but thats hersay?????

Need to get some information from Sissle, they are big on the chevy inline six. Different manufacturer but still a six.

Honestly, Im not concerned with performance benefits right now, I just want to shape the sound into something more pleasing.

my truck as it sits has the 300, dual 3to1 headers, truck X pipe, back to two turbo mufflers. It sounds like a stock v8 at idle, very deep, mellow nice.

if I accelerate normal, it has a deep sound.

if I accelerate aggressively but within reason of normal driving, I can get this crazy ass sound that make me wanna hide so noone see its coming from my truck... :LOL: ...the sound is inline with that of a child holding a balloon neck and stretching it out, slowly allowing air past, getting that shrill of a sound.

I thought it was the X pipe, as a "truck" X pipe is basically two U shapes, joined at the curve, thought maybe it was the sound passing the sharp turn or something but the other day I completely blocked off one exhaust pipe and ran it, I heard the same sound but it was super quiet. that was confusing, as when I had the tailpipes ran out behind the rear tires and no X pipe, I didnt hear this. when I installed the X I did...but only on hard acceleration. now that I have the pipes turned down before the axles, it makes this noise more often and louder of course.

I just want it to go away...maybe I should use this as an audible rev limiter...haha

I have dual GT pipes, no H or X. I have Turbo mufflers. Sound is pleasing but drivable. You can have a conversation or hear the radio at highway speed. At idle it lopes, pops, rumbles, everything you dreamed about when you were sixteen years old. Since the engine was cammed up and modified at the same time the exhaust went on, I can't compare it to how it sounded before, but now it sounds like a V8 and often people are astonished when they see the six, thinking it was an 8. I have read other threads on this forum about this subject, as well as on other forums that pretty much all concluded that, from a performance standpoint, using 2 1/4" duals on a six has no real benefit over a large single exhaust system, and same being true with X 'ing or H 'ing them. It doesn't help, but it doesn't hurt either. These threads eventually get into this "exhaust pulse and flow dymnamics" stuff, but in the end, I did what I did as much for looks and tone as anything else. The performance increase was just a "perk".

Now, that's what I'm talkin' about!

Harry

inline300":2nt0x2mv said:
if I accelerate aggressively but within reason of normal driving, I can get this crazy ass sound that make me wanna hide so noone see its coming from my truck... :LOL: ...the sound is inline with that of a child holding a balloon neck and stretching it out, slowly allowing air past, getting that shrill of a sound.

That sounds like you have something like a large whistle built into the system and it has nothing to do with H's or X's. First thing I would suspect is a loose baffle inside one of the mufflers.

You ever blow thru a candy box and make that irritating noise when you were a kid? An exhaust blast sneaking past a poorly constructed or loose baffle could cause the same sort of noise. Kind of like a kazoo on steroids. :x

You may be right, I put a clip below. Maybe a sound more inline with a giant goose honk would be more accurate...seriously...haha

I know this car is making the sound Im talking about, except 10X worse, notice when it get higher in the rpms. Anyone know this persons exhaust setup?

http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... runuc9.flv

This is my truck making the sound, its fine unless I push it past 2K rpm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kh_-JG-WO8

Just gimme a reason to put new mufflers on it. :D I was beginning to think it was just the nature of the inline beast. After listening to the cars video, It kinda give me the impression its some kinda "harmonic vibration" sound or something, as once he has the car in the final gear, hes able to get past the sound and everything evens out. I cant get my rpms high enough to get past it, I also have a stock cam.

The sound Im referring too, as heard on the first mraley video, starts and ends at the 8 and 9 second marker. It begins again at the 14 second marker.

On my video, its obvious at the 4-5 second marker and 9-10, sounds like someone is goosing a goose. :)

Anyone without an X/H pipe get that sound?

WSA, do you get that sound Im referring too?

When my truck had duals with no crossover it was much louder but I dont recall hearing that.

My theory, is the other exhaust sounds masked it, while, with a crossover, it really cancels out some exhaust tone and you end up with this little gem of a sound...haha...

what intriques me, if you watch the mraley video, at a certain point, hes able to get past the sound, so it makes me wonder if someone with alotta brains, could come up with a means to absorb this sound frequency(?), as Im sure a few fellers would buy it to smooth out the six banger sound, unless they just wanna be seen. :D

I may just be picky but if there was a way to make that sound go away, short of just driving slower, Id like to know how. :D

Dont really wanna get rid of the X pipe, as contrary to popular belief, my truck runs alot better with it.

Back