Toyota SC14 supercharger

Skiddriver

I have been following Wayne Clark’s Paxton SC success and considering a similar project, but I also have seen a bunch of SC14 superchargers available at a reasonable price online. They seem to have a similar boost capability and are significantly less expensive, (you can buy 4 for the price of a Paxton ball drive) and they come set up for v-belt drive with an electronic clutch similar to an Air Conditioner compressor. eBay link. The clutch option can be actuated using a throttle position sensor/switch or some other input.

I don’t think they are user serviceable like a Paxton ball drive, but they do run a standalone oil system that doesn’t require tapping into the engine oil circuit.

They seem popular in Australia for various boost applications. Does anyone have any insight into using one of these on a Ford small six?

but they do run a standalone oil system that doesn’t require tapping into the engine oil circuit.
See if the one you get uses the bearing ACV pressure valve to avoid oil leakage. As it's electronically controlled, I imagine a simple breather won't get it done. If you can hunt-down the control parameters, a controller can be fashioned to operate it. I can probably help with that.

Just from a ratio of displacement, using the 2.4L baseline for source (8 psig stock), and assuming a pulley ratio to hit 13k+ shaft rpm, then very roughly estimated at ±5.5 psi on a 200 at 5000 rpm. Very roughly. I can run some calculations, but it would depend on lots of factors, from your VE (stock ±76% at peak torque?) and especially pulley ratio installed. The boost psi is less important than the resulting flow, as that's what makes power, and a better breathing engine will see less boost on the gauge. ;)

SC14-bearing-pressure-ACV.jpg

Still looking into this. The vendors online don’t seem to have the ACV available, and the drive pulley seems to be hard mounted and not electrically clutched.

There is plenty of tech stuff on this blower, its 1.4litre per revolution, so would be limited a bit, maximum speed is 13000rpm, so it all depends on what your intended appliction is. For instance I run a blower of 1.1litres displacement on a 3.3litre engine, its driven at 2.95 times crank speed, i get up to 18psi manifold pressure. Mine is a twin screw compressor which has internal compression, a rootes blower does not. Let us know what you are thinking and we can discus. They are used here in Australia, but generally not on anything more than 3.3litres and even then boost is usually not more than 5-8psi.

Last edited:
Still looking into this. The vendors online don’t seem to have the ACV available, and the drive pulley seems to be hard mounted and not electrically clutched.
Neither of these are deal killers, but good examples of jumping through hoops to solve issues big and small. The operating parameters of the ACV can be duplicated, once you know what they are. ;) The pulley size could be a problem if you can't swap pulleys to adjust pressure or shaft rpm. The clutch is not a big issue, and most other SCs used a simple bypass off-boost to allow the engine to breathe easier for higher efficiency. Here's an example on my spare M112 that works off of simple manifold vacuum to open or close the air bypass:

M112_boost_bypass.png

The electronic board in the image is a $100 first-gen Speeduino DIY EFI ECM for up to 8 cylinders.

Just to close this thread out: first a thanks to the folks who responded with info and suggestions. I really appreciate the way forum members step up to help a newby like me.

The Chinese EBay SC14 knockoffs that I was looking at have too many unknowns for me to sink any money into them, so I’ve decided to either go with a Paradise Wheels Paxton ball drive or a Rotrex. But primarily I need to get the engine in the car and running properly NA, though I’m going to make sure I can get a drive pulley mated to the crank and mock up a supercharger bracket before I get it in the car just to see if I have the space in the engine compartment to spend money on proceeding with a boost option.

Thanks again and I’ll start another thread when I get some movement on this new direction.

IMO dont go centrifugal compressor, positive displacement gives much better performance as an all rounder. Whipple twin screw or eaton high helix would work much better. The trouble with a centrifugal is that the boost pressure varies with the square of its RPM, which means nothing at low rpm, then heaps of MAP arrives in a rush at high rpm. Positive gives a very useful spread of torque right across the range. I can get boost at part throttle from idle. you just get the effect of a doubling of engine capacity, great on the road.

But primarily I need to get the engine in the car and running properly NA, though I’m going to make sure I can get a drive pulley mated to the crank and mock up a supercharger bracket before I get it in the car just to see if I have the space in the engine compartment to spend money on proceeding with a boost option.
Paradise Wheels has a whole kit for the inline 6 that several users have used. So it should fit if you have a mustang/ranchero type of vehicles.

Once again, solid advice from both you guys. I'll take both into consideration. Since I have a 65 Falcon 2 door with its incredibly tiny engine compartment I do have to make sure I can fit the gear in neatly which does point me toward a centrifugal especially since I have a log head, albeit modified for a direct 2V carb install. I am planning to use a Holley Sniper 2300 which I have purchased already along with the matching Hyperspark ignition and distributor.

I like the Paradise Wheels option, but I'm also looking at the Rotrex for a few reasons including its wider market availability and more modern design. However, the ability to rebuild the Paxton ball drive myself also appeals to me along with the availability of a full install kit. Since I'm still in the exploratory stage I'll look into the Whipple or Eaton as well.

And once again, thanks for the advice. It's really helpful.

Once again, solid advice from both you guys. I'll take both into consideration. Since I have a 65 Falcon 2 door with its incredibly tiny engine compartment I do have to make sure I can fit the gear in neatly which does point me toward a centrifugal especially since I have a log head, albeit modified for a direct 2V carb install. I am planning to use a Holley Sniper 2300 which I have purchased already along with the matching Hyperspark ignition and distributor.

I like the Paradise Wheels option, but I'm also looking at the Rotrex for a few reasons including its wider market availability and more modern design. However, the ability to rebuild the Paxton ball drive myself also appeals to me along with the availability of a full install kit. Since I'm still in the exploratory stage I'll look into the Whipple or Eaton as well.

And once again, thanks for the advice. It's really helpful.
Just so you know the Paradise Wheels Paxton kit is a direct copy of what Paxton sold to go on the 60 Falcons & Comets.
It's a super easy install lacking only about 2 or 3 braces that you have to fab up , a little bit of flat stock or small angle & it's done. It is attached to the motor with one of the t/ stat houseing bolts , the brackets are the other attachment points . That mounting plate will take any SN Paxton you come up with . The kit comes with a SN 60. All of them appear to be rated at 6 to 8 psi . But you can buy a different pulley for more boost . But I'm not sure that's an option from Paradise wheels with that big v belt that drives the supercharger .
I have not changed the first setting on my Sniper since I put the Paxton on . You can save a good bit of money just buying the kit less the Paxton & buy the Paxton off ebay .
Honestley after putting the Paxton on & seeing how easy it was with that kit I don't think it's worth the effort trying to make something work .
If you have an auto trans you need to look at the blow off valve kit that trans go sells to protect your modulator valve from the boost .
That Paxton paired up with the 2300 Sniper & Hyperspark dist will transform how that little 6 runs like you can't believe.
I'm running everything on my small log headed 200 thru a Vintage Inline 2x1 adaptor & she loves that fuel being jammed in by that Paxton .
You can get way more power with a turbo but for me it's just too much effort .

Just so you know the Paradise Wheels Paxton kit is a direct copy of what Paxton sold to go on the 60 Falcons & Comets.
It's a super easy install lacking only about 2 or 3 braces that you have to fab up , a little bit of flat stock or small angle & it's done. It is attached to the motor with one of the t/ stat houseing bolts , the brackets are the other attachment points . That mounting plate will take any SN Paxton you come up with . The kit comes with a SN 60. All of them appear to be rated at 6 to 8 psi . But you can buy a different pulley for more boost . But I'm not sure that's an option from Paradise wheels with that big v belt that drives the supercharger .
I have not changed the first setting on my Sniper since I put the Paxton on . You can save a good bit of money just buying the kit less the Paxton & buy the Paxton off ebay .
Honestley after putting the Paxton on & seeing how easy it was with that kit I don't think it's worth the effort trying to make something work .
If you have an auto trans you need to look at the blow off valve kit that trans go sells to protect your modulator valve from the boost .
That Paxton paired up with the 2300 Sniper & Hyperspark dist will transform how that little 6 runs like you can't believe.
I'm running everything on my small log headed 200 thru a Vintage Inline 2x1 adaptor & she loves that fuel being jammed in by that Paxton .
You can get way more power with a turbo but for me it's just too much effort .
Not trying to hijack a thread, but how are you using a Holley Sniper 2300 with boost?
Are you using a Super Sniper 2300? A Super Sniper will handle boost out of the box.

Thanks Wayne. Your setup is what inspired me to start looking into it.

Rocklord. The baseline 4bbl Sniper and the Sniper 2300 both manage boost to one bar (14.7 PSI) in the control map. Not sure about the 1100. Higher boost levels require the Super Sniper.

Not trying to hijack a thread, but how are you using a Holley Sniper 2300 with boost?
Are you using a Super Sniper 2300? A Super Sniper will handle boost out of the box.
A 2300 has a 2 bar map sensor, with 1 bar for bosst will handle 14.7 lbs of boost.

Thanks Wayne. Your setup is what inspired me to start looking into it.

Rocklord. The baseline 4bbl Sniper and the Sniper 2300 both manage boost to one bar (14.7 PSI) in the control map. Not sure about the 1100. Higher boost levels require the Super Sniper.
I've been a fan of that 2300 ever since I bolted it on.
Any body who has a small six & wants some power & performance from a stock eng should look past that inital cost & think about what they are getting with basically no eng work . That thing is worth every penny it cost as an upgrade on a small six .
I guess I'm at the end of the road with my stock 200 .
I'm actually headed back to my house now to clean my table off in my shop & pull all my top end parts out in preparation to start putting everything in& on my block .
I actually looking forward to getting her back up & running after I do the cam & ported Classic Inline head.
Should be some fun trips to the car shows come warm weather .

Back