What's the wire for on my water choke HW 5200? Elect assist

A

Anonymous

I saw a reference somewhere to an electric assist on some of the middle years for the HW 5200. Does this get hooked up to switched +12v. or can it be removed? I haven't decided yet, I might convert to manual choke because that's what my falcon van originally had. If I run the water choke, I'd like to bypass the electic assist if possible.

Yup, it's an electric assist for heating up the choke coil faster on the emissions engines. I don't think it's necessary on our old iron. On mine, I'm not using it - just the water choke - and it's working great (except it's a pain to work on/around without draining coolant, but that's the water choke's fault, not the electric assist.).

You can't leave it completely out, or the choke coil won't tighten up. I cut off the honking big connector and left about an inch of wire just in case I ever want it for something.

Sounds like you have the best of both worlds. I would keep it.

The electric provides a quicker shut off of the choke (heats up quicker that water choke) while the water choke will keep the choke spring hotter longer. This makes stops that last just 20 of 30 minuts easier to restart because the warm engine has kept the choke open.

Have fun, Ric.

I'll hook it up and see how it goes. I like the idea because I like the choke to be open as little as possible. That's why I prefer manual chokes.

Back