Which exhaust do you recommend?

Route--66--

Hi all
Firstly apologies if this topic has already been done to death!

I have a stock 200 in '65 Mustang.
Standard cast iron header and (I think) maybe 2..2.5" pipe to back box.
Currently sounds quite quiet.

I am looking to change the back box for a flowmaster, but really need to know from you guys which one will make it sound best - I am looking for the 'American' burble (deep sound if possible) as we call it .. (ok I'll say it, like a V8) (soz!) :oops:

I want something loudish outside but not with too much cabin noise for cruising
My thoughts are Flowmaster S40 , maybe a 50 ??? but don't really know.

IF I get one of the flowmasters which are 1 inlet, 2 outlets, would running the two tail pipes make the resulting sound more like the v8 burble due to one of the rear branches being longer than the other so making the same exhaust 'pulse' exit the tailpipes at slightly different times ???

Cheers all.

Howdy:

FYI your stock exhaust manifold outlet is 2", but has quite a bit of extra casting inhibiting flow. For my money and taste I like the Walker DynoMax. Your stock exhaust system likely has a 1 7/8" head pipe and same on back, possibly 1 3/4" (worse). For best result change to a 2" pipe system all the way to the muffler. The 1 > 2 muffler will not likely change the sound. It will add weight and likely rust out sooner due to lack of heat and velocity. IT does looke cool though.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Adios, David

Cool, thanks interesting what you say about the one into 2 not making any difference apart from looks cheers.
I think my main pipe is 2" (I think) .. the box I have on at the moment has a 2.5" pipe into it am pretty sure .. so think there's a step up in size .. will check this weekend ..

I believe some 250s had 2 1/2 exh manifold outlet mabe it was 2 1/4 or just one year or so was 2 1/2.
My best performance with a mild 200 was cyclone headers which were dual outlets. I made a 18" long Y to run them togeather into a single 70 Boss 302 RH factory intermeaiant pipe, muffler and tail pipe.

Another set up in a 81 Mustang was the larger 250 manifold into single 2 1/4 pipe dont recal muffler used.
Both these setups got good economy and sound was dicent not too loud.

If you have the money years ago a member had a comet & he installed Borla mufflers. He was known as okeefanokee from Georga.
The sound of the exhaust sounded close to a V-8.
David's recommendation is the walker dynomax. I have heard that for the money they have a great sound.
Flowmaster 40 series sounds like a dog crapping razor blades.

I had a flowmaster on an 89 Toyota Cressida I6 and hated it. I can't argue with Bill's description. I put a 2 1/4 Dynomax,1 in 1 out, on my Econo with the 144 and it performed and sounded nice. Smooth and deep but not all garbled and throaty like the flowmasters. I'm actually going to use that exhaust with the 250 when it goes in here soon.

Hey Turbo- I sure like any specific details you have on casting numbers and years of exhaust manifold that may have an outlet of more then 2". I've heard for years of a 250 manifold with and outlet of more than 2" but have never found one. The obvious exception is the late manifolds with the quick burn cats attached, but that is on 80s 200s. I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction. thanks, in advance.

I'm also interested in finding any car, factory original, that had a 200 or a 250 engine that had a head pipe coming out of the exhaust manifold that had a diameter greater than 1 7/8". I have yet to find one.

Adios, David.

wsa111":1m3r5tw3 said:
If you have the money years ago a member had a comet & he installed Borla mufflers. He was known as okeefanokee from Georga.
The sound of the exhaust sounded close to a V-8.
David's recommendation is the walker dynomax. I have heard that for the money they have a great sound.
Flowmaster 40 series sounds like a dog crapping razor blades.
:) great description :)
I've not ever heard a dynomax unfortunately, only flowmaster over here .. and youtube although a great tool isn't brill for a realistic reproduction!
any chance of posting a link to the specific v8-iiish dynomax please, I'm sure I could get one shipped if worth it!
Cheers!

Dynomax turbos, super turbos are made by walker. Flow charts I have seen show the walkers as flowing a lot more air per dia than flowmasters. Having tried both in my book flowmasters are mostly hype. Based on my years of air flow study they seem to go against laws of physics (aperanty realy dont). A friends speed shop its about all they handle because he says thats what sells.

Single inlet and duall outlet on something like a 200 might be a bit over kill. Theory is 2 1/4 in around the correct size then dual 2 1/4 outlet could reduce performance due to reduction in air speed and return waves. Single inlet in at 2 1/4 might do better with dual 2" or even 1 3/4 outlets. Without doing cross section areas 1 3/4 dual outlets probably are larger than a single 2 1/4 in area.
Last i FIGUERD ONE WAS DUAL 2 1/2 INLET AND SINGLE 3" outlet on my 460 dually were about the same areas.

Thanks for that
I'm not fussed at all about performance, just a nice sound.
Have youtube'd the dynomax and the ones I heard made the cars sound like a tractor .. maybe am not getting the correct one .. ???!

http://www.dynomax.com/ think there are some sound clips in thier site.

Sound also depends on size of pipe vs engine size.
a BIG PIPE ON A SMALL ENGINE LIKE 3" PIPES ON A SB are going to be louder than say 2" pipes using the same style muffler. Many are just looking for loud so thats what most post. There is also a differance in sound crusing flowmasters drone a lot. Dynomax floored can be loud but lower tone than flowmasters.
By the way there are no 3" quiet mufflers. I have 3" flowmasters one one of my trucks and 3" dyno max turbos on the other.
The one with the flowmasters, last trip in it wore ear plugs. The one with the dynomax mufflers isnt too bad think the wind noise is worse than the exhaust noise inside he cab crusing.

Sizing pipes has a lot to do with performance, economy and sound.

If I have info on year and or part number of the larger 250 exh manifold it will tace some looking up in my folders on SBF 6s

I do not have a dog in this fight - but, I have had two SUVs with V8s, a 3/4 ton long bed with a V8, and a 1/2 ton extended cab truck with a V8 - each of which had 3" in/out mufflers, and all of which were quiet.

Sound attenuation depends on the construction and size, not simply diameter.

I have Dynomax turbos on mine, but I have aftermarket headers with 2" pipes so they may not sound the same for you. I like them a lot though... definitely loud, but not annoying. Cruising on the highway, I can have a normal conversation without a problem.

IIRC, the point of Flowmaster mufflers isn't really ultimate volume, but rather creating pulses in the exhaust stream that (in theory) help scavenge exhaust from the cylinders. This function is what creates the "unique" Flowmaster sound. Flowmaster now has several models employing different technologies, but I'm pretty sure throughout their product line they're committed to the notion of assisting exhaust scavenging, with the idea of increasing engine output.

The Walker Dynomax mufflers are not chambered mufflers like a Flowmaster is. They're a perforated tube surrounded by a dampening material, not unlike a glass pack ("Cherry Bomb"), but with better construction. Their "Turbo" line is a straight through, but I believe the regular Dynomax mufflers incorporate an S-shape to increase sound absorption. I believe Borlas are also perforated tube type, but I don't know whether they are straight through or not.

Construction (chambered vs. perforated, dual vs triple chamber, steel wool vs. fiberglass, etc.) has way more to do with exhaust note and loudness than pipe size. Every major brand of muffler has multiple construction options, "buy a Flowmaster" is no more useful than "buy a Ford." IMHO, if you want quiet but with a good muscle car sound, look at the Flowmaster 50 - pretty sure this is what replaced the 80 and offers a mild sound. I actually used to have an 2.5" 80-series on my Saab 9000 (2.0t) and while a Flowmaster is a dumb choice on a turbocharged car, it provided a very mild exhaust note with a little snarl with a lot of throttle. I think it would sound very good on a 200 six. I have a 3" Dynomax Turbo on my XR4Ti (2.3t) and it is loud. I like it (obviously - I put it there!), but it's not quiet... which is what you'd expect on a straight through muffler!

If you do work yourself, you might consider just throwing a big fat glasspack (Cherry Bomb or whatever) on your car. They give a nice sound, and the longer it is the quieter it is. They don't take up a lot of space and are dirt cheap. But they also don't last forever - expect to replace it every 20,000-30,000 miles. :)

Edit: Hey, here's an example!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrqd4l8cnEQ

I currently have a flowmaster and love it. But my engine build is different.

My old setup was with a Dynomax Super Turbo from a truck. 1 in 2 out. It sound great. But, remember. The tip used can also change the exhaust note.

thanks again all, appreciate your comprehensive reply thesameguy, good things to think about.

Also surprised that tips can make a difference to sound?! .. I have a turn-down on the end of mine .. would that make it quieter then ?

Cheers!

Back