Will headers affect my ability to turbo my 200 inline 6? Any advice

LanceC

Hi, I’m Lance and I have a 65 mustang.I’m working on a slowly “and I mean very slowly” building my engine up to being able to turbo. Before the idea I got a set of headers to throw on to it and they are great just wondering if they affect ability to turbo.

The shorty headers will work great with a turbo if you can get the two header outlets piped to the turbocharger or look at the possibility of two turbochargers.
You might consider having the turbocharger on the driver side if you can find a good route for pipes under or around the engine.

Those could be made to work..I think that twins would be more work than it would be worth , in my option...Mr. Muller do you think a divided turbine would be worth doing or just join them together and do open?

Mr. Muller do you think a divided turbine would be worth doing or just join them together and do open?
A stock or slightly modified 200 six only needs a 40 mm turbocharger which generally does not come with a twin scroll turbine housing because of the small size.
Just do a "Y" and run a single pipe to the turbocharger.

Many six turbo headers put the turbo around the alternator/battery location but some six cyl imports' turbos are located down and back a bit. As mentioned a smaller turbo will provide adequate performance. Crossing engine also mentioned or a J-pipe type path after Y to the turbo may be considered or necessary, definitely consider an AFR gauge bung in exhaust after the turbo.

have fun

Buick/Garrett T3 Draw-thru setup on 250 Maverick - stock manifold and J pipe to turbo

. . . . .

Many six turbo headers put the turbo around the alternator/battery location but some six cyl imports' turbos are located down and back a bit. As mentioned a smaller turbo will provide adequate performance. Crossing engine also mentioned or a J-pipe type path after Y to the turbo may be considered or necessary, definitely consider an AFR gauge bung in exhaust after the turbo.

have fun

Buick/Garrett T3 Draw-thru setup on 250 Maverick - stock manifold and J pipe to turbo

. . . . .
That’s sweet!

Back